Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Retiring the E510...

It's a sad day, I'm retiring my E510. Is that TAPS playing in the background?

The E510 is a great camera, especially at the price/weight/size. I hope I feel the same about my new E3

Oh yeah, if you're interested in the E510, 14-54 or 40-150, they all made it to the classifieds to fund a 50-200 SWD...

http://classifieds.photographyreview...duct=392&cat=7
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Re: Retiring the E510...

Enjoy the new gear!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

If it were me, I'd have kept the E-510 body as a smaller, lighter backup. Especially because a used one only sells for around $300 nowadays.

And I like to shoot with multiple bodies when I know I am going to be using multiple lenses

Of course, I've kept all of my DSLRs, including both of my E-300s (I'd sell one of them, but it's worth nearly nothing - the other one has a Katz Eye screen so I still use it with all sorts of manual glass).

[QUOTE=Dougjgreen Especially because a used one only sells for around $300 nowadays.
    [/QUOTE]
    Only? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

To me, the convenience and benefit of having a good backup body is well worth $300. But I admit, I hang onto all my older gear if I still have any use for it.

I'll seriously consider keeping it if I don't sell it quickly - but at this point i'd like to turn it into something I'm sure to use rather than a body I may or may not ever need...I'm just happy I don't need the money for something dumb like property taxes

I still have to run the finances - I think I have $750 in-hand now, with a 50-200 SWD and the siggy 30 on the wish list. If I can sell the 14-54 and the 40-150, I'll be in the ballpark without losing the E510. If I can sell them all, I'll be looking at the EC14 too

And of course, I'm still in the market for a longer macro. The sigmas may be nice, but I've read about nothing but problems with them in the 4/3 mount. I'll hold off for the long-awaited 100mm zuiko, whenever that shows up. I don't think I'll have a problem figuring out something to spend my money on.

And incidently I've been considering buying an E420 body at some point, for the light and small backup...I can live without IS, photographers did for a hundred years already...
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

You will love the E3.....First thing you will lose though is the flash sync cap. That little one on the front. Might should take it off and put it up.LOL
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Might I suggest that the best way to save money is to buy an older manual focus macro lens. You could pick up a used 55mm Micro-Nikkor or 50mm OM Zuiko Macro for well under $100, and the mount adapters to 4/3are cheap - like $20. If you wanted something longer, you could get a superb used manual 90mm Tamron SP Macro for around $150 or so.

And if you're considering buying an E-420, all the more reason to keep the E-510 instead. It's barely any larger, has better ergonomics, and built-in IS.

Thread Information