Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Olympus E-620 - First Sample Photos

On Sunday, I took the Olympus E-620 out for an all day photo workout. I started with brunch, moved on to the zoo, and then took some coffee shop and cityscape photos. It was pretty much the same as shooting with the E-30 or E-520. Controls are pretty much the same, if a little smaller. And I was more comfortable shooting at ISO 400 or 800 than I was with the E-520, because I've come to expect good quality from the 12-megapixel sensor after shooting with the E-30 for a while.

I haven't had a chance to do any serious outdoor or action photos with the E-620 yet. I did ski with it all day yesterday but the conditions were too unfriendly to bother with taking pictures. On Saturday I took a few landscape photos so I do have one pretty mountain picture to include. I'm only just beginning with this camera, though. There will be lots more to come. Next up are the studio sample photos. I will be shooting those tonight or tomorrow, so you can compare the image quality in a controlled setting to the same from other digital cameras.

I will be uploading larger versions of all of these to the gallery. Check my member gallery or the Olympus E-620 gallery if you want to see them at the original resolution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Olympus E-620 - First Sample Photos-_1010076.jpg   Olympus E-620 - First Sample Photos-_1010089.jpg   Olympus E-620 - First Sample Photos-p1010002.jpg   Olympus E-620 - First Sample Photos-_1010176.jpg   Olympus E-620 - First Sample Photos-_1010201.jpg  

Last edited by Photo-John; 03-24-2009 at 06:03 PM.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Olympus E-620 - First Sample Photos

what ISO is the picture of the monkey?

edit: oh hey, I see the link to the full size now, no worries

hmm still more noise it seems than the E3. Where you shooting RAW or Jpeg?
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic2
    what ISO is the picture of the monkey?

edit: oh hey, I see the link to the full size now, no worries

hmm still more noise it seems than the E3. Where you shooting RAW or Jpeg?
    Everything but the mountain was shot RAW and converted with Olympus Master 2 software. I was fighting low light at the zoo and the monkey was lightened up about half a stop, I think. You may be right about more noise than the E-3, although I need to shoot the E-620 studio tests to really judge that. I think I'm less concerned with noise than you, though. I was pretty pleased with the camera at ISO 800 and even 1600. The E-3 may have less noise but I have found the E-30 to be quite usable at ISO 800. I don't often go past that. But the crappy light and wiggly critters at the zoo didn't give me any alternative.

I'll keep shooting and posting E-620 samples. And I am going to make an extra effort to shoot low light, high ISO photos. I shot some ISO 1600 and even 3200 tonight at dinner. I'll see about posting some of those tomorrow.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Everything but the mountain was shot RAW and converted with Olympus Master 2 software. I was fighting low light at the zoo and the monkey was lightened up about half a stop, I think. You may be right about more noise than the E-3, although I need to shoot the E-620 studio tests to really judge that. I think I'm less concerned with noise than you, though. I was pretty pleased with the camera at ISO 800 and even 1600. The E-3 may have less noise but I have found the E-30 to be quite usable at ISO 800. I don't often go past that. But the crappy light and wiggly critters at the zoo didn't give me any alternative.

I'll keep shooting and posting E-620 samples. And I am going to make an extra effort to shoot low light, high ISO photos. I shot some ISO 1600 and even 3200 tonight at dinner. I'll see about posting some of those tomorrow.

I still am very strongly considering the E620 even if the ISO performance is not as good as the E3s. The 620 is still considerably cheaper, and that money can go towards buying the Sigma 70-200 2.8. The only other issue I have with the camera is the small size. How does it feel in your hand compared to the 500 series? You were using the 12-60, how did that combo feel? Did you feel very secure holding? With my 510, I feel very confident holding it with one hand even with the 12-60 and flash attached. I'm worried the small grip on the 620 wont be enough for me.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Studio Samples Posted

I shot and posted the Olympus E-620 studio sample photos, yesterday. I added them to the preview article:

Olympus E-620 First Impressions >>

When shooting the studio tests I am reminded how much I love the adjustable LCD. It's so nice to be able to flip out and rotate the LCD display so I don't have to squat down to look at the LCD or through the viewfinder.
    Photo-John

Thread Information