Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Olympus e-510 photo delays

Presumably it's supposed to take a photo instantly with no delays at all. This is my problem- the camera takes a photo (flash isn't used and the picture is displayed on the screen) then 1 second later it replaces it with another photo and normally the person has assumed I took the shot and moved away as it's taking it. Even using the viewfinder isn't much quicker.I'm useing a 133x card and the standard 14-42mm lens. I'm new to this so help would be appreciated.

Focus technique?

Adam-
    How are you focusing? My guess is that focus is the problem. If the auto focus system isn't able to achieve focus, the camera may behave as you've described. Try pre-focusing, or using manual focus to see if that eliminates the delay. Also, what kind of light are you shooting in? In low light, this can be a common problem. But in bright light it shouldn't be.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Olympus e-510 photo delays

Do you have this camera then, or are you just using your general understanding of cameras?
    With the focus set to manual the problem still happens and the light can vary, but this changes nothing.

Actually with manual focus on and using the viewfinder it does take instant photos, but when you use the LCD you get the delay (if this were supposed to happen then surely it would have been mentioned in the reviews).
    Last edited by contactadam2002; 10-23-2008 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by contactadam2002
    Do you have this camera then, or are you just using your general understanding of cameras?
    With the focus set to manual the problem still happens and the light can vary, but this changes nothing.
    I've used that camera, although I don't have it anymore. I have the current model - the E-520, and a lot of experience with all kinds of SLRs.

Is this a new camera to you or is this a problem that has recently developed?
    Photo-John

PJ would know. I owned the 510 and never had any delay problems. You haven't set the 2sec timer by mistake? Look at the LCD and see what the timer is set on. You should be seeing a little square, left center of the LCD. If you see the 2sec symbol the timer is on.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

isnt there some kind of weird option that makes it so you take a preview shot? it actually takes a shot, but doesnt save it...just shows it to you for a sec and thats it.
    im going to look through my camera to see if i can find that. ill let ya know if i do.

i dont see what i was talking about, maybe someone else has an idea...

it also sounds like you could be talking about the sound it makes when using live view. when you take the shot, the mirror moves out of the way, then the camera will focus and then activate the shutter.
    so when you take the photo the person might think you already got it because the mirror moving sounds a lot like the shutter going off. then they jump out of the way while the camera is actually trying to focus and shoot.
    also, this would look like a photo is being displayed for a second because what you see on the live view screen pauses while it is doing this. then it would be followed up by the actual photo you took.
    normally the whole action is very quick and live view works fine, but if it takes any little bit of extra time to find the focus, then it could cause a problem.

You're talking about a test picture that you can assign to the Fn button, you hold down the button while pressing the shutter. I use this feature to check my exposure setting.

Just to clarify, when you use the live view to frame a shot, as you press the shutter button the mirror flips, the camera focuses and then the shot is taken. Two almost simultaneous sounds

So NO, in live view, it does not take a picture instantly. There is the delay of the mirror flipping and the focusing action.

If possible I use the viewfinder and half press the shutter button to achieve focus and then full press for an instant capture.

Not to worry, by the time you read the manual for the sixth or seventh time it will become clear

Cheers, Don

I think the last guy just explained it, thanks. It's stupid though because other reviewers have commented on this and agree on it being a design fault that no other manufacturer has with their live view. Are they're any other cameras for around the same price that have this problem such as the e-520, or did they improve on this?

I think the last guy just explained it, thanks. It's stupid though because other reviewers have commented on this and agree on it being a design fault that no other manufacturer has with their live view. Are they're any other cameras for around the same price that have this problem such as the e-520, or did they improve on this?
    When using Live view the camera really performs like a P&S. The delay is called shutter lag. This is with all cameras. As far as I know. When using Live View focus the shot with the AEL/AFL button. This will raise the mirror and focus. Then take your shot. It will speed things up some. It really just takes some getting use to. But for quick street photography, sports, action shots it's always best just to use the finder. When using the view finder all of the composing at focusing is done through the lens. Firing off a shot will always be faster this way. Good luck.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

You could unassign the Fn button. I only just discovered how programmable that button is. But your best bet it to use the viewfinder instead of Live View. Although the camera does have auto focus during Live View, it's pretty poor. The only cameras that have good live view auto focus are Sonys, I believe. With my Canon cameras, I only use Live View for studio products photography. And then I always use manual focus.
    Photo-John

Thread Information