Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Olympus E-520 Pro Review Is Live

Finally got the E-520 pro review completed. I am sure I didn't cover everything. But I think I covered my own particular slant on the camera well. Please take a look at the review and post comments and questions at the end. I can always answer questions and add stuff on in the comments section of the review.

Olympus E-520 Pro Review >>

And for those of you who own the E-520, we still only have one user review. So get to work! We need your reviews!

Read and write Olympus E-520 user reviews >>

Thanks in advance for your comments and reviews!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Olympus E-520 Pro Review Is Live

It looks like you covered all of the bases John. It looks like a nice addition to the Olympus line up. I can't wait to see your review of the G1.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    It looks like you covered all of the bases John. It looks like a nice addition to the Olympus line up. I can't wait to see your review of the G1.
    Don't forget about the E-30!
    Photo-John

Review Criticism

I posted a link for my E-520 review on the Flickr Olympus E-System Comunity forum and they worked me over a bit. So I've made some changes to the review and added a note in the comments section about what, how, and why. Feel free to add your own comments and let me know know if there's anything you have questions about. I want the review to be as clear and useful as possible
    Photo-John

Thanks for the info John. I posted a comment at Flickr inviting some to join here and share there knowledge and post a few reviews. Hopefully they will stop by.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Hi all,

I'm a newbies in DSLR. I just bought Olympus E520 a few weeks back. I still trying to understand the capability of this model. I'm facing few difficulties and hopefully u all can guide me.

1) I'm facing difficulty in taking picture in low light condition. I did tried to shoot indoor at night with low light condition. I set my ISO to the highest (ISO 1600) and adjust the aperture to F5.3 and sometime to F7.1. But it still doesn't work.Can u advise this.

2) I notice that the metering doesn't show inside the sight view. It would be difficult for me to shoot fast moving action as i need to adjust the aperture and also shutter speed...Is there any other way to overcome this issue??

3) My friend invited me to do some strobist shooting. It was my 1st experience shooting with all those flash and umbrella and also hot sexy model together with the backdrop. 1 of my friends using Nikon and the other 1 is using Canon 400D. They set up 3 flash and using remote wireless concept. I noticed that E520 can also do this by becoming the master. I did try to shoot..The flashes blink when i press the shutter button to half. But when i i press the shutter button full it doesn't flash. it means that when the time i took the shoot there isn't any flash support..how to solve that issue?? Can E520 remote any other flash brand other than Olympus itself??

Quote Originally Posted by khalil
    Hi all,

I'm a newbies in DSLR. I just bought Olympus E520 a few weeks back. I still trying to understand the capability of this model. I'm facing few difficulties and hopefully u all can guide me.

1) I'm facing difficulty in taking picture in low light condition. I did tried to shoot indoor at night with low light condition. I set my ISO to the highest (ISO 1600) and adjust the aperture to F5.3 and sometime to F7.1. But it still doesn't work.Can u advise this.

2) I notice that the metering doesn't show inside the sight view. It would be difficult for me to shoot fast moving action as i need to adjust the aperture and also shutter speed...Is there any other way to overcome this issue??

3) My friend invited me to do some strobist shooting. It was my 1st experience shooting with all those flash and umbrella and also hot sexy model together with the backdrop. 1 of my friends using Nikon and the other 1 is using Canon 400D. They set up 3 flash and using remote wireless concept. I noticed that E520 can also do this by becoming the master. I did try to shoot..The flashes blink when i press the shutter button to half. But when i i press the shutter button full it doesn't flash. it means that when the time i took the shoot there isn't any flash support..how to solve that issue?? Can E520 remote any other flash brand other than Olympus itself??
    First off welcome to photography review and thanks for stopping by. On your first issue depending on the light your f/stop could be a little high. Try 3.5 and make sure the image stabilization is on. Image Stabilization will correct for camera motion but not subject movement. Maybe you could post a couple of example photos for us to look at. It could be it is just to dark. You should be able to shoot shutter speeds down to about 1/10sec before you need a tripod.
    All of you camera info should show up in the finder, at the bottom, when you press the shutter half way down. The info won't show all of the time. After a few seconds it will disappear until you press the shutter half way again. You will only get the meter working when shooting in manual, but all of the other info, ISO, Aperature, shutter speed, metering mode, ect, will show.
    I have never tried remote flashing but yes the 520 should have tripped the flashes. Your Olympus will probably not trip a flash made for Canon or Nikon but it sounds like the set up your friends had should have worked. Maybe someone else will know a trick but you probably need to check out the instructions to your friends flash setup and see what kind of settings their flashes call for and also check the manual for the 520. There is a section in the manual that covers this and should be more help.

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks for posting the lens updates. I didn't know. So I just updated my 12-60 SWD. Thanks again.
    Lily lara

Go to camerastore.com

Thread Information