Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Thread: Memory Card??

Memory Card??

What is the besy card for the Olympus E-500? I have read that it can use the XD, Compact Flash1 or CF microdrive. I have a gig XD card, but would like to know what is better, what s the diffrence? Thanks for the help.
    Bonnie
    Last edited by BonnieT6; 01-27-2007 at 05:00 AM.

Re: Memory Card??

I can't remember if there are high-speed xD cards. But CompactFlash is by far the most prevalent type of digital camera media for SLRs. For that reason, there are tons of options and I believe you get the most for your money. You have more manufacturer and speed options as well as the confidence that comes from knowing that lots more people are using the same media as you if you have CompactFlash. There's no reason to not use the xD card you have. But if you buy more memory, I'd encourage you to buy CompactFlash.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I chose the CF cards because the speed on them is faster than on the XD cards. The write speed of the E500 is 60 (no idea of the units used to measure that speed) but my CF cards can be written on to at 100 .. the XD card is only 45. Basically the faster the camera can write to the card the faster you can shoot again.

I have a 256 XD card from an old P&S camera that got broken and wasn't worth fixing in the camera along with my CF card. That way if the CF card ever fails you can simply pull it out and the camera will default to the XD card and you won't skip a beat.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

I've got 10 CF cards ranging in size from 256MB to 1GB. I use all of them and will probably need some more. That's OK though, they're cheap and durable, and when you compare them to film and procesing? Way cheaper.

Usel

There are high speed xD cards. Specifically, they are listed as xD H (there's also xD M, which are slower), but both are slower than a CF according to the reviews I've read.

My camera does not use either of those, but my daughter has an older, smaller, Fuji camera that uses xD. If I were faced with your decision, I would opt for the CF due largely to popularity, which generally translates into better availability, as well as lower cost. Also, I have seen some card readers that support every format except xD--don't know why. I would still use the xD cards I had, but would get CF for all new pruchases.
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Thread Information