Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Going with the E-PL1!

So, I've been doing a lot of soul searching lately, I have not been taking any pictures and feeling a bit burned out. I'm just a hobbyist, not a pro. I've done a few minor gigs over the last few years but nothing fancy, and I couldn't figure out why I lost my photo mojo.

I've come to the conclusion that I just have too much "stuff". I have a mini-DV camcorder, a point-and-shoot, a super-zoom, and a DSLR (with 2 lenses and 3 flashes), plus carrying cases, mini-tripods, a full-size tripod, different cables, etc. I never know what to choose, which camera I want to take on a trip, what I feel like using, etc. So, I'm starting over! I split my gear into 6 auctions on eBay. I've been doing research on the E-PL1, and I think it's perfect for me. Small enough to travel with, good enough performance for my needs, room to grow with future lenses, HD video, and one system/format to use.

I went down to Best Buy last night and tried one out, and I thought it was a great little camera, perfect for a guy like myself who likes the act of taking pictures more than the technical aspect of it. Sure, I'll learn the settings and learn how to get the most from it, but I'd rather have 1 system that I'll actually use rather than 4 systems that I won't! I'll sell my gear, buy an E-PL1, maybe get the viewfinder and a carrying case, have a few bucks left over, and I think that will get me back out in the world taking pictures instead of staring at piles of gear and shaking my head.

I'm excited! Does anyone who has some experience with this camera have some helpful tips, pros and cons, etc?
    Last edited by havana_joe; 05-19-2010 at 02:14 PM.
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

Liz

Re: Going with the E-PL1!

Quote Originally Posted by havana_joe
    So, I've been doing a lot of soul searching lately, I have not been taking any pictures and feeling a bit burned out. I'm just a hobbyist, not a pro. I've done a few minor gigs over the last few years but nothing fancy, and I couldn't figure out why I lost my photo mojo.

I've come to the conclusion that I just have too much "stuff". I have a mini-DV camcorder, a point-and-shoot, a super-zoom, and a DSLR (with 2 lenses and 3 flashes), plus carrying cases, mini-tripods, a full-size tripod, different cables, etc. I never know what to choose, which camera I want to take on a trip, what I feel like using, etc. So, I'm starting over! I split my gear into 6 auctions on eBay. I've been doing research on the E-PL1, and I think it's perfect for me. Small enough to travel with, good enough performance for my needs, room to grow with future lenses, HD video, and one system/format to use.

I went down to Best Buy last night and tried one out, and I thought it was a great little camera, perfect for a guy like myself who likes the act of taking pictures more than the technical end of it. Sure, I'll play with the settings and learn how to get a little more from it, but I'd rather have 1 system that I'll actually use rather than 4 systems that I won't! I'll sell my gear, buy an E-PL1, maybe get the viewfinder and a carrying case, have a few bucks leftover, and I think that will get me back out in the world taking pictures instead of staring at piles of gear.

I'm excited! Anyone have experience with this camera have some helpful tips, pros and cons, etc?
    Congratulations! I think you made a good decision. Sometimes we just have to take a radical step in another direction to discover what will inspire us.

I have the E-PL1 and love it! I will say for me, there was/is a bit of a learning curve, but the good news is you can start shooting this camera right out of the box, so as you begin learning the settings, etc., you can have fun all the way.

I would give you one suggestion. You might want to wait awhile - until you spend some time getting used to the E-PL1 - before you purchase the VF2. The reason I say this is because I've been waiting for the VF2 to hit the shelves ever since I bought the camera because I thought it was a must-have-now. However, now that it is out, I'm not 100% sure I will buy it. The LCD screen is better than any other LCD that I've used previously. Yes, it's a bit of a challenge in the bright sun, but I can see it! I might have to shade it a bit with my hand, but it is quite usable. OTOH - I'm still not sure if I will purchase the VF2 - but I'm in no big rush. So, I can make a rational decision when the time comes.

You won't be sorry - this camera is awesome. I love the IQ - it's among the best.

BTW - keep an eye open for Photo-John's photos from his vacation. He just took along 2 cameras - a p&s and the E-PL1 which is a first for him. I'm sure he will post some nice images from the E-PL1.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Congratulations! I think you made a good decision. Sometimes we just have to take a radical step in another direction to find what we really want - what will inspire us.

I have the E-PL1 and love it! I will say it's a bit of a learning curve, but the good news is you can start shooting this camera right out of the box, so as you begin learning the settings, etc., you can have fun all the way.

I would suggestion one thing. I would wait awhile - until you spend some time getting used to the E-PL1 - before you purchase the VF2. The reason I say this is because I've been waiting for the VF2 to go on sale ever since I bought the camera because I thought it was a must-have-now. However, now that it is out, I'm not 100% sure I will buy it. The LCD screen is better than any other LCD that I've used previously. Yes, it's a bit of a challenge in the bright sun, but I can see it! I might have to shade it a bit, but it is quite usable. OTOH - I'm still not sure if I will purchase the VF2 - but I'm in no big rush. So, I can make a rational decision when the time comes.

You won't be sorry - this camera is awesome. I love the IQ - it's among the best.

BTW - keep an eye open for Photo-John's photos from his vacation. He just took along 2 cameras - a p&s and the E-PL1 which is a first for him. I'm sure he will post some nice images from the E-PL1.

Liz
    Thanks Liz!

The best price I've seen for the VF2 is $249, which IS a bit pricey. You're right; I will most likely wait a bit before ordering. It will give me something to look forward too, as well as time to learn shooting with the LCD, which I will likely do most of the time anyways.

I'll be looking for his pictures, and I'll be sure to post a few of my own, once I get used to the camera and get out taking some good pictures. Of course, I don't even OWN it yet, I have to wait for 5 more auctions to close, but sometime next week I should have it and maybe I'll go somewhere interesting for the holiday weekend.

It's funny, people have always called me the "camera guy" because I've always had one with me, but it's been about 3 months since I've even bothered to grab one and shoot. If I bring the super-zoom, I start to think I should have brought the DSLR. Bring the DSLR, and I can't decide which lens. Whatever I bring with me, I think about the stuff I left at home. To heck with it, one camera, one case, simplify and move forward in life!

Olympus E-PL1

You will love it. If you get the 17mm lens it is very fast. The OVF is also accurate. But I have gotten use to using the LCD for street work. My only issue is that I have big hands I wish it had some sort of grip. The dial on the back is also very sensitive and easy to bump and get it off of the setting you want. I mostly shoot aperture priority.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks Greg! I have medium hands, so it should be fine for me, seemed like a nice fit when I tried one out last night!

Olympus E-PL1

Got the E-PL1, will post some pictures and maybe a review over memorial day weekend, still learning my way around the menus!

Olympus E-PL1

Joe-
    Have you looked at the EVIL and Micro Four Thirds Cameras Forum? That's where most of the E-PL1 / Pen camera discussion is right now.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks John, I'll move over there! =)

Olympus E-PL1

Thread Information