Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
    Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Flash for E-series?

Hi ya'll - I'm about to buy a flash for my E300 (the built in flash just isn't enough, not for pro work.) So far I'm looking at an Olympus flash, though it's $179 at B&H. Does anyone have a non-Olympus brand that they would recommend that's cheaper? Like a Sunpack? I'm just wondering before I plunk down the cash if anyone has any other recommendations. Thanks...

drg

Re: Flash for E-series?

Olympus sells direct through ebay at

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrtsZ0QQ...lympusauctions

and their current Flash auctions include

http://search.ebay.com/FL_W0QQbsZSea...ofocusZunknown

Like all ebay offerings, you have to watch the costs vs a regular retailer but check there online store as well

I've bought a few odds and ends from them off and on in the past as I like their cases for small cameras.

I bet Metz makes a flash for Olympus, but they are not probably going to be any less costly. If they make a module you can trigger about anything with enough adapters. I used one Mecablitz (potato masher type D batteries, etc.) for years with a series of different brands of cameras by just changing the module and cords. Cracked the lens, had it replaced twice, it finally just corroded internally. Not cheap but a tank!

I'll check the Interfit catalog to see if they make a wireless module which means you could trigger about anything with them as well.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thanks - I'll ahve to start planning more in advance. This is for a job next week, so I will most likely have to pick it up at B&H this week. I always think about these things last minute....

The Sunpak 383 has received a lot of good reviews. I use both the Olympus FL-36 and an old Vivitar 285HV. If I had to pick just one flash, I'd take the Vivitar. Although it's an old non TTL flash, it always works and I've used it for so long, I know the quirks and it's tendancies under all types of shooting conditions. Before you put just any flash on top of your camera, make sure you check it's sync voltage, anything over 6V runs the chance of frying your circuits in the camera body. Both the Sunpak 383 and the Vivitar 285HV run on the lower voltage, so they're safe to use with Olympus digital cameras.

Mark

Thanks! I will look into both.

EDIT: You're going to laugh. I just looked in my equipment and I actually *have* the Sunpak 383. I'll just use that and save the $179.

Thread Information