Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

EX-25 ext tube w/kit lenses? Other thoughts?

On the official Olympus page HERE their charts do not list specifically my kit lenses, but in reviews of the tube people say they are using it on them. It should work on mine (14-42 f/3.5 & 40-150 f/4) right? I'm thinking the list is just not updated because I believe I am seeing the old kit lenses that came with the E-500.

Also any other thoughts/opinions on the EX-25 and its quality? Customer reviews are all positive. I think I will shortly be selling both my kit lenses anyway and certainly am looking at the 50mm f/2. I read the EX-25 is definitely recommended for this lens.

Re: EX-25 ext tube w/kit lenses? Other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by metallicblack
    On the official Olympus page HERE their charts do not list specifically my kit lenses, but in reviews of the tube people say they are using it on them. It should work on mine (14-42 f/3.5 & 40-150 f/4) right? I'm thinking the list is just not updated because I believe I am seeing the old kit lenses that came with the E-500.

Also any other thoughts/opinions on the EX-25 and its quality? Customer reviews are all positive. I think I will shortly be selling both my kit lenses anyway and certainly am looking at the 50mm f/2. I read the EX-25 is definitely recommended for this lens.
    Yes the ex-25 will work just fine on both of those lenses. To check, select the appropriate lens from the drop-down menu on the olympus site, and it will tell you whether the lens is compatible with the ex-25 (and the tele-converter). As new lenses come out, this is the best way to check for compatibility.

I think other users might have better input on the quality, but I played around with an ex-25 on an old 14-45 for a couple days and was pretty impressed. It's definitely worth it's money (I remember it being relatively inexpensive).

If you like prime lenses, you won't be sorry with the 50 f/2.

I wish a third party would produce a 4/3 extension tube set - the big camera systems have three tube sets for the same price as the single olympus tube I don't have experience with the ex-25, but I thought I'd drop this link to a discussion on tubes in the N&W forums.

Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

I really like it with the 40-150mm. You don't have to get right on top of the subject, but with my 14-54mm I have to get fairly close to the subject to get it in focus. The quality is super but you will find a learning curve using one. I find it easier to focus zooming in or out than to use the focus ring and you will have to manual focus. AF struggles to much and is very frustrating. But the image quality is superb.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks for the info Sushi and albot. Greg, I just ordered the 14-54mm zoom tonight. I may put off the EX-25 for a while. (I've spent about $2K in little over a week.) Since you have that lens is it true what I read...that other than 54mm, focusing with the EX-25 is impossible?
    Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
    Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by metallicblack
    Thanks for the info Sushi and albot. Greg, I just ordered the 14-54mm zoom tonight. I may put off the EX-25 for a while. (I've spent about $2K in little over a week.) Since you have that lens is it true what I read...that other than 54mm, focusing with the EX-25 is impossible?

Yes this is true. You also have to get within inches of your subject. I find it works much better with the 40-150mm. You are going to love the 14-54mm. It's quite a step up from the kit. Soild built and fast focus. Your camera will double in wieght since the 14-54mm is a heavy lens. Please come back and write a review and share your thoughts on the lens.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I will share my thoughts on the 14-54mm, but since I'm really new to photography and will never be more than an amateur, I won't try to review it. I'm glad you say it's quite a step up from the kit lens because on paper it doesn't seem that much of an upgrade. The 50mm macro, though, is quality you can feel and see. Heavy...and those great words "Made In Japan". Easy to focus in low light.
    Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
    Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6

You don't have to be a pro to share your thoughts on the lens. You could shed a lot of light for the other hobbiest photog's just like you. Your insight would be welcome.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information