Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

E510 flash not firing

Sometimes I find that even if I have my flash set to always fire, it often won't, non matter what picture mode I'm in. Is there a reason or a setting that causes the camera to have an issue with the flash firing?

Re: E510 flash not firing

Mine does it too. If you are in an automatic mode and camera sees enough light to work without the flash it will not fire. Set the camera to flash fill and it will fire every time. You will notice it won't fire when pointed towards a well lit window or other bright area. If your pictures are to bright or dim use exposure compensation to adjust it correctly. You will find the built in flash can do a really great job.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I'm finding it does it in every mode, not just auto, and with the flash fill turned on. If I point it one direction, it works, but other directions it doesn't.

How are you turning flash fill on? Push OK, move over the flash setting and set it on the arrow push ok again. In this mode it should fire evey time.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    How are you turning flash fill on? Push OK, move over the flash setting and set it on the arrow push ok again. In this mode it should fire evey time.
    Yes, that's how I have it turned on. Most times it works fine, others it just will not fire. If I point it at the ceiling, then it fires. Then back at my subject, it doesn't fire. I try a few more times and then suddenly one picture it fires fine.

Look on page 40 of your manual. I shows how to set the flash. If that don't work you could have a problem. Does the flash not work pointed at bright or dark areas?

Sony a99/a7R

Everything looks set right, although I'm not sure what shutter speed I had set when I had the problem. I know I was set on A and taking pictures in medium-low room light. When I pointed the camera up at a light, the flash fired perfectly.

So is everything ok now?

Sony a99/a7R

No, nothing has changed. I haven't experienced the flash problem since, although I haven't played with the camera too much since then. But it remains a mystery. I don't think there's anything wrong with the camera, but I could be wrong.

I'm involved with another discussion on the issue here, if anyone is interested.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26409847

I am glad your problem has cleared up. Let's hope it stays that way.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information