Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

E-510 first filter(s) recommendation

New to SLR/DSLR I'm a little clueless and trying to learn, but I've been reading one of the first things to get for my E-510 (2 lens kit) is a filter. Does anyone have specific recommendations as far as brands or types I should be looking for. From BHphoto I found this 3 filter kit so far which appears to be a good start.

Am I reading correct the size the E-510 needs is a 58mm screw on?

Any better recommendations for someone just starting out?

Thanks,

Matt
    Last edited by metallicblack; 02-14-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Re: E-510 first filter(s) recommendation

The filter size depends on the lens. Check here and click the lens you have and read the specs to comfirm.
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...lens/index.asp

I don't think you will ever use a warming filter but a UV and polarizer you will. No doubt Hoya makes great filter. You might also look at Tiffen. Circuit City use to carry some UV filters you might go by there and pick one up but you will probably be better off with a Hoya or Tiffen circular polarizer, multicoated helps reduce flares too. I wouldn't use a polarizer from Circuit City.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks for the reply, Greg. So since these are inexpensive does it make sense to have one UV filter for each lens you own (just for the sake of protecting the lens).

Yes I would use a UV for every lens. I also rarely use the polarizer on me 40-150mm zoom. You might just try it on the 14-45mm at first. I tried shooting some T-Ball players with a polarizer on the 40-150mm and it slowed the lens down some. You can always get a polarizer for the largest lens and then buy a cheap step down ring and use the same filter for both. If you plan on doing landscape I would suggest a ND graduate system by Cokin. You can use the same filter on all lenses with just the cost of an adaptor ring.
    Also don't stack the filters. It will cause vignetting, dark areas in the corners of your pictures.
    Your kit lenses may take the same filter size though?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Yes, both kit lenses are 58mm so I ordered these two Hoya UV Filters and one Hoya Circular Polarized filter for now on Amazon. I will keep the ND graduate system in mind. I am going to be overwhelmed at the beginning since I'm starting with zero photography experience.

I've got most of the necessities covered now, I think. A camera w/2 lenses, camera bag, 1 CF card, 1 back up xD card, spare battery and charger, and a cheap tripod that should hold me over for a while. I'm still looking into getting a wireless remote and may get this one off eBay.

Thanks again for your help. Maybe in a couple of months I'll have some decent shots post.

Be sure and come back and post pictures and give us a review. If you hang out in the critiques forum you will be a pro in a matter of weeks. Thanks for joining

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information