Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

E-500 Card Cover Problem

Hi

Ok I turned my E-500 on 10 Mins ago and it comes up with "Card Cover Open" message on the screen and will go no further. The card cover is securly closed, I have tried opening it and closing it and still get the same message. I notice there is a small pin sensor that, when the cover is closed, pushes in so I tried to push that in and still get the message. This is the first time I have seen this problem. The manual is pretty usless as it just says to close it Duh!.

Is there anything I can do as I need the camera for tomorrow for a function I am going to. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: E-500 Card Cover Problem

Well I don't shoot with the 500 any more but I just checked my E3. It has the same little button. When I push it in I lose the message "Card cover door open" and when I release it it comes back. So my guess is the switch bad, dirty or has the little plunger that pushes it down broke? The first thing I would try is to push the button up and down several times real fast and see if it knocks any dirt off of it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Well I don't shoot with the 500 any more but I just checked my E3. It has the same little button. When I push it in I lose the message "Card cover door open" and when I release it it comes back. So my guess is the switch bad, dirty or has the little plunger that pushes it down broke? The first thing I would try is to push the button up and down several times real fast and see if it knocks any dirt off of it.
    Thanks for your suggestion, I have tried that as well as blowing into it but that doesn't seem to have had any effect. Any other suggestions? Is there any way to reset the camera incase it is perhaps just a problem with the electronics that a reset would fix?

Update: I took the back cover off the camera and made sure the pin was free and clean which it seemed to be. however still no joy with it working.

You might try using Olympus Master 2 and checking for a firmware upgrade.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information