Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
    Usel

Dirt in the camera

I wonder if someone can explain this. I have an E-500. Somehow I have a smudge that shows up in the viewfinder. It's not on the lense, because I can see it without the lense on. It's not on the mirror and it doesn't seem to be on the prism. Is there anywhere else it could be coming from? It just happened yesterday. The only thing I did out of the ordinary was that there was a full moon and I shot using Bulb. I've taken over four thousand shots with the camera. Two thousand in the last three weeks and had no problem. It's driving me nuts. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: Dirt in the camera

It is most likely on the matte screen, even though you say you can't see it with your naked eyes. You must remember that he magnification is significant. Get a good light source and a magnifying glass or loop. I will takes the odds that its there.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Usel

thanks. Let me expand upon my ignorance. The matte screen you are referring to is the focusing matte that the mirror flips up to? and if so, is it removable to clean? Or what should I use to clean it? I've tried using a q-tip, with nothing on it so far, but what is the proper solution.

Thanks again.

Usel

I think I answered my own question. I found this on the web for anyone who wants to change their focusing screen. It seems terribly easy. When I get back to my camera, I'll see how easy it really seems. Perhaps I can take the screen out and clean it manually.

thanks again.

http://www.gadgetmiser.com/E500focusscreen.html

Usel

Yup. That was it. It is actually quite simple to remove. Took less than 2 minutes to remove, clean, put back.

Quote Originally Posted by rsimmons
    Yup. That was it. It is actually quite simple to remove. Took less than 2 minutes to remove, clean, put back.
    Well, I'm glad to see that you worked that one out...:thumbsup:
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information