Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buyers Remorse ...

So I have been researching for some time now on buying a DSLR (currently have a Canon G1 and s410). I had decided I wanted to try another brand camera and to get the e510, then I found out I would be getting a tax rebate check, so I decided to wait. Shortly there after the e420 was announced months ahead of release. I have had my eyes on it ever since. I really wanted IS, but not bad enough to get a larger camera that used an older sensor e510...

So last friday I found a deal on amazon for the e420 with both the 14-42 & 40-150mm lenses. Since they only had a couple left I decided to buy it assuming it would be some time before the 520 was released

Order shipped out about 8 hours ago...

My Dad sent me a link for a forum post on how to set the 420 to super fine (sf) since most people were showing demo pictures with it set to fine (default) settings.... Low and behold dpreview also had just posted 20 mintues ago that the 520 would be release next month! They posted this on the 13th and it's not even the 13th yet here since im in Cali! Hours after my order ships they annouce this? Someone up there hates me and wanted to rub in my stupidity....

Heres the link to the amazon deal I found I thoguht it was good but I wish I would have waited now http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-EVOLT-...0658064&sr=1-2

Just had to vent, I should have known this would happen. I'll bet if I didn't buyt he 420 the 520 would only be released months from now

Re: Buyers Remorse ...

I'm working on an E-520 article right now. I've had a pre-production camera for about a week. I've had the E-420 at the same time and they're both nice cameras. Don't feel bad about your purchase. Them's the times we live in. The E-420 is a lot smaller and that definitely has its benefits. And remember, you're buying into a system. The E-420 will serve you well. When it starts being a problem you can upgrade. Until then, practice your technique and enjoy your great, tiny camera!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I just found out I can return the e420 and only pay shipping. I have never had a camera with IS and was planning on eventualy getting the pandcake for the 420 to keep it compact.

Now im indecisive on which would be better for me. While portable is key with any camera so is IS to some extent? John, which do you perfer and why?
    Last edited by Justintoxicated; 05-13-2008 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justintoxicated
    I just found out I can return the e420 and only pay shipping. I have never had a camera with IS and was planning on eventualy getting the pandcake for the 420 to keep it compact.

Now im indecisive on which would be better for me. While portable is key with any camera so is IS to some extent? John, which do you perfer and why?
    E-520, hands-down. If you couldn't return it, you'd be fine. But if you can, I think you'll get more out of the E-520. I really liked the E-510 because I thought it was tiny. The E-420 is even smaller. But the E-520 is still smaller than most other available digital SLRs. It's smaller than my Canon EOS Rebel XSi /450D - and that's a small camera. So if you can return it, I give you the thumbs-up on the E-520 - if you can wait...
    Photo-John

I must agree with John. I don't own the 420 but the 510. The IS technology is amazing and I am not sure I will ever own another DSLR without it. At 6'3 camera size has never been an issue with me. If the 520 is an improvement over the 510 you will be very happy. The 510 is an awesome camera. Return the 420 if you can but if not you should be able to sell it quick. It and the 25mm pancake are a very popular combimation with many.
    Please come here to write and read reviews. I have never thought much of dpreview. Maybe you should hang out here more.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

heh, if you had asked my opinion before hand, i would have said go for the 510 over the 420. so if price isnt an issue, then hell yea go for the 520. but if you were to ask me my honest opinion; i would say dont even bother with the 520 and get a 510. save alot of money
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

I think the street price of the 520 will be around $600.00. To be sure if the 420 has a new sensor the 520 will too. Less noise at higher ISO. I look forward to your review John.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic2
    heh, if you had asked my opinion before hand, i would have said go for the 510 over the 420. so if price isnt an issue, then hell yea go for the 520. but if you were to ask me my honest opinion; i would say dont even bother with the 520 and get a 510. save alot of money
    But you haven't used the E-520... :smilewinkgrin:
    Photo-John

Isn't this going to make the price of the 510 drop a fair bit?

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy
    Isn't this going to make the price of the 510 drop a fair bit?
    Probably. Just by looking at what the 420 did to the 410, there will be a decent price drop on the 510 to try to sell off the rest of the inventory. Though even then, I see no reason to pick up a 510 over the 520. You really won't save that much money and I think the 520 has some significant improvements that are worth a couple extra bucks (besides, lenses are the real money sink).

Although I'd be a little surprised if current 510 users started selling and running to upgrade. I'm certainly not going to.

I certainly won't be selling my 510 for the 520, I'll lose my mind trying to upgrade every time my camera gets a new paintjob. I'll wait a couple generations before I even think about it. Right now I'll sink my time into shooting and my money into a 70-300. Or a flash. Or memory. Or a bigma. Or.....

On the other hand, the 420 is a compelling camera for me. With the totally unavailable 25mm pancake, it would make a nice every day camera and backup body - the 510 and four lenses is getting kind of bulky to drag with me to work, and to the bar, etc....
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

The problem is that I don't know how bad I really NEED IS since I have never used a camera that had it before. The extra $100 for the cam isn't so much the problem but I was thinking the 420 + pandcake (when it comes out) would be a nice small combo. This will be my first DSLR, so I have ALOT to learn no matter which camera I decide to get. The 420 is on its way and will be hard to not open once i recieve it after teh 9 day shipping wait... I was even thinking to sell both the kit lenses before opening them and get the 14-54 + pandcake and keeping the 420. If I went with the 520, I'm not certain how much desire I would have to get the pandcake for it...

So my pics with the 520 would be significantly better than the 420 on average and if possible I should eat the $20 shipping and go with the bigger camera next month?

Or another option is to convince my Dad to get the 520 so we can swap lenses as needed (Even though hes pretty far to do that on a daily Basis). Not sure how perswasive I can be but possibly enough!
    Last edited by Justintoxicated; 05-13-2008 at 08:04 PM.

go try out a camera with IS, you will be amazed at the results. using the kit 14-42mm lens, i have gotten usable shots with a half second shutter speed, HAND HELD!
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

Your image quality will not be better,. The 520 probably has the same sensor as the 420. You are just getting the IS mostly. Your best bet on a lens would certainly be the 14-54. The pancake is more designed for light weight and storage. It's a fixed focal length as well. The kit lenses are very good lenses and really take great pictures. The 14-54mm is very heavy and durable and focuses quicker. The filter size is also bigger. I still use the 40-150mm and am very happy with it. Unless I start shooting sports I will keep it.
    If you are not planning on taking pictures in low light then the 420 will be a fine camera.

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Your image quality will not be better,. The 520 probably has the same sensor as the 420. You are just getting the IS mostly. Your best bet on a lens would certainly be the 14-54. The pancake is more designed for light weight and storage. It's a fixed focal length as well. The kit lenses are very good lenses and really take great pictures. The 14-54mm is very heavy and durable and focuses quicker. The filter size is also bigger. I still use the 40-150mm and am very happy with it. Unless I start shooting sports I will keep it.
    If you are not planning on taking pictures in low light then the 420 will be a fine camera.
    I dunno if I plan to take low light shots, but I know I will end up taking some. I would for sure be taking shots of my fishtanks for example, but I can use a tripod for those anyways, so I don't think IS will be any help, since its the fish that can't hold still. Or would IS still help in some way for this?

edit: I was told I can return it and it will only cost me shipping if I do not open it. No restock fee. However I wonder if it will be released in June or July as I might be going on a vacation offshore and will definately need something before I go. The 2 month wait may be the killer for the 520 here even though that is the camera I really want. I also wish someone could take a picture of both 510 420 520 side by so I could get a better understanding of the size differences.
    Last edited by Justintoxicated; 05-13-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Your image quality will not be better,. The 520 probably has the same sensor as the 420.
    That's not necessarily true. Olympus made the firmware for the E-520 after the E-420. I believe it is the same sensor. But we'll have to wait for a final version of the E-520 to see if it has better image quality. It may.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    I certainly won't be selling my 510 for the 520, I'll lose my mind trying to upgrade every time my camera gets a new paintjob. I'll wait a couple generations before I even think about it. Right now I'll sink my time into shooting and my money into a 70-300. Or a flash. Or memory. Or a bigma.
    In this case, I think it's more than a paint job. I think people are getting distracted by the new features list. For me, the important change is the sensor. The achilles heal of the E-510 was the noise and low dynamic range. For some purposes it was a fair trade. But I think the E-520 is going to be much better. Given, I had a beta camera to play with. But even with pre-production firmware I am seeing obviously better high ISO performance and improved dynamic range.

Of course, the 70-300mm lens is a very good way to spend your money. I love that lens. I tried to shoot with it on the weekend and it was too long. How often do you run into that problem?
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    In this case, I think it's more than a paint job. I think people are getting distracted by the new features list. For me, the important change is the sensor. The achilles heal of the E-510 was the noise and low dynamic range. For some purposes it was a fair trade. But I think the E-520 is going to be much better. Given, I had a beta camera to play with. But even with pre-production firmware I am seeing obviously better high ISO performance and improved dynamic range.

Of course, the 70-300mm lens is a very good way to spend your money. I love that lens. I tried to shoot with it on the weekend and it was too long. How often do you run into that problem?
    The sensor is the main reason I chose the 420 over the 510, although the larger LCD, and improved live view + face detection didn't hurt either.

Did you notice if the focusing is faster with high quality lenses such as the 12-60 with the e420 / e520 vs the e410 / e510 ? For example the 12-60 is supposed to be extreamly fast with the E3, vs the e410/e510. Any improvements in speed with these new cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I certainly hope the 520 is going to be better in this area, but with only some sensor tweaks along the lines of the 420 and e3, I'm not expecting anything very significant. Any improvement is welcome I suppose. Maybe an extra 1/3 EV?

Oh man http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-E520-D...806445&sr=1-20

Aug 10th! I'll be well back from my vacation by then
    Go on vacation with S410 come back and get the camera I want. Or go on vacation with e420. Maybe I should just borrow a camera from somewhere and get what I want. I dunno anymore. Aug 10th is quite a ways away still.

in my opinion the e-510 2 lens kit is well worth buying for $600 over paying $800 for the e-520 kit.

Quote Originally Posted by xwingkiller
    in my opinion the e-510 2 lens kit is well worth buying for $600 over paying $800 for the e-520 kit.
    Hmmmm why does it have to be so hard!

I think I'd pay the extra $200 for the e520 because.
    11.8MP sensor vs 10mp (E3 sensor seems to be better, esp at high ISO?)
    Face Detection (I would use it)
    Larger LCD
    Improved IS
    Shadow Detection looks like a nice feature too!
    Improved Live View (For pics of my fishtanks with camera on a tripod, this might help I havent used the old one so any live view will be nice)

e510 is better bang for your buck, but the e520 still seems to be a good value. With the e420 on the way with dual lenses for 660 shipped I'm real tempted to just keep it and then sell it later if I find myself needing IS. At least it should hold its value better than a used e410? And I could always have 2 Cameras (one compact and one for larger lenses with IS, maybe even an e530 next year or 540). I'm totaly new to SLRs so its almost like a new hobby for me anyways.

If the 520 was out now I'd get it hands down, but with some reviews saying the e520 will launch in a few weeks, other saying July and Amazon saying Aug 10th! its really difficult to make any decisions I know I want the e520, but what good will it be if it gets released AFTER I go to Greece? If I get the 420 I might just ebay both lenses and pay the difference to get the 14-54mm. If I can get 250 for both Kit Lenses on ebay (does that sound reasonable?), then the camera itself would only cost $410 anyways, which is less than the lense I would be buying which would also work down the road on the 520/530. I wish I could get a better timeframe for the release of the 520, June? July? AUG 10th (3 months from now)!?!

I already purchased an 8GB 266x Memory Card and $40 firewire CF card reader cause I was pretty set on the e420, but now I'm really confused as to shat I should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Justintoxicated
    11.8MP sensor vs 10mp (E3 sensor seems to be better, esp at high ISO?)
    Face Detection (I would use it)
    Larger LCD
    Improved IS
    Shadow Detection looks like a nice feature too!
    Improved Live View (For pics of my fishtanks with camera on a tripod, this might help I havent used the old one so any live view will be nice)
    well i dont know where you got 11.8MP from, its still the same 10MP
    the improved IS is really just another mode for panning, and ive never used anything except IS1

so that really only used the face detection, shadow detection, and the contrast based focus in the Live View mode, something ive only used like twice so far on the 510, and i didnt even like it.

realistically you would be paying an extra 100 bucks or more on 3 features that dont even seem to be worth it at all in my opinion. just go for the 510.

i mean face detection? i have never had any troubles focusing on a face, the face is full of details that make it easily focused on.
    shadow detection really is the only thing that will benefit your photos in the end it seems, and still it would be marginally at best.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic2
    well i dont know where you got 11.8MP from, its still the same 10MP
    the improved IS is really just another mode for panning, and ive never used anything except IS1

so that really only used the face detection, shadow detection, and the contrast based focus in the Live View mode, something ive only used like twice so far on the 510, and i didnt even like it.

realistically you would be paying an extra 100 bucks or more on 3 features that dont even seem to be worth it at all in my opinion. just go for the 510.

i mean face detection? i have never had any troubles focusing on a face, the face is full of details that make it easily focused on.
    shadow detection really is the only thing that will benefit your photos in the end it seems, and still it would be marginally at best.
    11.8 million total pixels
    10.0 million effective pixels

just like the e420 and E3.

edit: it also has Remote Flash abilities, not that I can afford a remote flash....

Honestly though I probably should have gotten the e510, but the pics from the e420 should be better as long as IS is not needed (probably will be needed though ). I'm really thinking to just keep the e420 since I screwed up and bought it. Maybe if I feel a need for IS later I can sell it or get the E3 and skip the 510/520. Whats stupid is that what got me interested in Olympus from the start was the built in IS, and then here I go and run out and buy a camera that does not have it I'll probably end up keeping it and hating myself later for it. But waiting 3 months isnt going to work either as I'm possibly going to greece in June/July. On review website its says teh camera will be out in a few weeks. However Amazon says it will not be availabel until Aug 10th
    Last edited by Justintoxicated; 05-15-2008 at 06:40 PM.

dont kid yourself, as soon as it gets cloudy, or you're inside, you will find your shutter speed dropping below 1/10 and you will quickly need IS.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...59&id=32817600
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...c2&id=32817600
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...b0&id=32817600
    these were taken handheld. i did have to bump the ISO to 1600, and there is some artifacting, i believe the shutter on these were as low as 1/2 second
    its absolutely worth the extra money, and if you dont change up to the 500 series, you're going to regret it.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information