Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Alittle help for a new guy

Hey guys, this is my first post here and planning to buy my first DSLR an E-520. I currently use an old OM-2 35mm and think its time to step up due to the fact that the pictures i usually take end up blurry being limited to a 1/1000th shutter speed and using 400 speed film. My real question is how does the E-520 handle good light action shots? They'd be of skimboarding/surfing/bodbyboarding at the beach so lighting would usually be pretty good. I plan on buying a OM to 4/3 adapter as well as a Pentax K series adapter. Manual focus is not an issue since its what I've been doing anyway. Here's some examples of photo's that I'd normally take, and thanks for reading this essay haha :aureola:

was taken using a point and shoot Canon.

These two are taken using the OM-2 and you can see the issue haha

These are just my usual shots, and I end up having better results with the Canon point and shoot then OM-2, Needless to say I want to step up beyond both of them for being able to get closer to the person with larger lenses that I have from the OM
    Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Re: Alittle help for a new guy

I'm puzzled that you aren't getting better shots with your OM2. I'm no expert but I would have thought that 1/1000 th of a second should be ample under these conditions (especially with iso 400). The OM2 was a very good camera in its day. What sort of lens are you using? I assume you are panning prior to pressing the shutter release. There is some red/pink spots on the OM2 images - any ideas what that is?

I'm an OM1 & OM4 user and am also looking to step up to a Dslr. I was looking at a E620 or E30. The smaller sensor compared to Nikon, Canon concerns me a bit, but the Olympus gallery images look pretty good. I'm not sure that I would use my old Zuiko lenses as I have heard that manual focusing is slow. But, I'm still trying to sort the truth from the fiction in some of the recent reviews.
    Cameron665

Mamiya RZ67, Zeiss Ikon Nettar, Voigtlander Bessa 66
    Olympus OM1 x2, OM4 x2, OM10
    Voigtlander Vito B, Kiev 4am, Zero Image pinhole
    Pentax K20D

Well the fastest shutter on the Olympus camera is 1/8000, if you can't stop motion with that, then there's no hope.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Quote Originally Posted by cameron665
    I'm puzzled that you aren't getting better shots with your OM2. I'm no expert but I would have thought that 1/1000 th of a second should be ample under these conditions (especially with iso 400). The OM2 was a very good camera in its day. What sort of lens are you using? I assume you are panning prior to pressing the shutter release. There is some red/pink spots on the OM2 images - any ideas what that is?
    That is my fault, I over wound the exposures and took a few overwritten pictures, this being close to the end of the roll I think thats what caused it. As far as panning you mean am I following the object into the picture instead of it entering the field of view? I honestly can't say I remember, and that may have been a mistake of mine. The lens is an Olympus Zuiko 45-175mm.

I think you will find the newer digital lenses will out perform your older ones. I think the 520 and the the 70-300mm would be a great combination for shots like this.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Alright, the 70-300 was going to be the first real digital lens I was going to buy for the camera. I'm feeling that the e520 should do good for these kind of shots

Thread Information