PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Are you dry? Midwesters?

For those in the midwest, are you dry? Or at least in one piece? I'm hoping the storms last night were the last of it, there is no place left but in the house for the water to go, and I'd prefer it stays outside.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Are you dry? Midwesters?

High and dry here.

The town my brother in law lives in was evacuated last night. He went and stayed with his grandma for the night. He has a few inches of water in his basement, but other than that, he's doing pretty good. Most of the flooding in his town is a result of the ground being to saturated to hold any more water, not from rivers over flowing. We are planning on going down there later today to see if there is anything we can do to help.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

We've been griping about our cold sunless spring in the Northwest but then I see floods, tornadoes, heat waves everywhere else and I quit griping.
    Hope all is better back there, soon.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

We're getting a lot of water down the rivers from all the flooding in Wisconsin. The low levels are flooding but (I hate to sound like it's no big deal) this happens almost every year. This is now the second time this year, however. Madison's lakes Monona and Mendota as well as Milwaukee's waterfront along Lake Michigan are closed due to raw sewage overflows at wastewater treatment facilities. Outside of a huge amount of capacity the tax payers would never agree to finance, these facilities just have no choice. It's like trying to get a glass of water from a fire hydrant and not spilling any of it. Yuck.

Here in my part of Michigan, some of us had the power go out for a few days. Some are working on no power now for 6 days. The ones that had power turned back on, it keeps going in and out due to the continuing storms. More storms coming in every day and more water to add to the basements. I got lucky, only 2 days without power and no flooding in my basement. Lost all the food in fridge though.

I hope the rain stops soon though.
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

My brother in law has about 3' of water in his unfinished basement. He has lost his water heater and furnace. It sucks, but that is pretty minor compared to what some are going through. He keeps pumping water out of the basement to keep it from reaching the electrical box. He's afraid to pump too much out though, because he's afraid the pressure from the wet ground on the outside will push in the walls of the basement. The water in the basement is countering the pressure from the outside...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    He's afraid to pump too much out though, because he's afraid the pressure from the wet ground on the outside will push in the walls of the basement. The water in the basement is countering the pressure from the outside...
    Happened here in town a year (or was it two?) ago. Labor Day '06, we had a 100-year flood within a mile of our house, but we're up on a hill and only had a mildly inconvenient power outage. Just less than one year later, they got another 100-year flood in the same area. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the 100-year floodline is drawn by the USGS to show the area that can expect flooding only once in a 100 year period, correct?...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the 100-year floodline is drawn by the USGS to show the area that can expect flooding only once in a 100 year period, correct?...

Thats the idea. But it can happen more than once in a 100 yrs.

Thread Information