PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Talking YAY, I HAVE POWER AGAIN!!! Ice Storm 2008

Any other New Englanders out there just getting the power back up and running? Was INSANE here in Southern Maine. The county I live in was over 70% without power. The town I work in will still be without for another 2 or 3 days because the main lines were snapped and they need to reroute it through a couple other towns. The worst part of it all was that I didn't get to take any pics yet :cryin: I get to work before sunrise and get out after sun sets. Anyway, hope everyone is safe and warm tonight

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Re: YAY, I HAVE POWER AGAIN!!! Ice Storm 2008

Wow, glad to hear everything's ok Aaron. It almost snowed here Thursday afternoon and it had all the schools closing early... fortunately, we'll be back to 60* tomorrow
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Quote Originally Posted by brmill26
    ... fortunately, we'll be back to 60* tomorrow
    Sure, rub it in It's 14 outside here...LOL We have power now but, it's still real sketchy. You can hear the trees creaking outside. The power flicker a few times about an hour ago. I hope it holds because we are supposed to hit single digits tonight. At least we have a woodstove and 2 fireplaces with about 6 cord of wood in the barn so we won't go cold. Was kind of fun last night. Had the fire roaring with some wine and beer. Sat around by candlelight playing cards
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I'm crossing my fingers and toes that we don't loose power here. It snowed durng the afternoon then it started raining and in 30 minutes the roads were ice covered. Now at 2am everything is ice covered and it's supposed to continue until 7am with occasional flurries.... the temp is 20. Unfortunately I only have electric heat and no backup! I do have a fireplace insert I want to put in and tons of wood......
    Even the polebarn has a woodstove but it isn't finished yet, still need the chimney put through the roof

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Hopefully you guys don't get it too bad. The woodstove is what saved us. That first night that the power went out, it got down to 8F outside. Luckily though we were about to keep it about 65 inside and never had any pipes freeze. Some of the people I work with still don't have power. The power company will make a little headway and then we'll get some gusty winds and already weakened trees/branches will snap.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Glad you are ok. I have a friend in Maine I've been wondering about.
    Freezing rain is horrible stuff. I've only seen it once and don't want to see it again, especiallly that heavy.
    Been 10 degrees here the last two mornings which is crazy cold for western Wa. Clear and sunny though but its starting to snow and expect a few inches today and I have to drive up and down some steep hills.
    Hope you can get some pics before its gone.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Unfortunately the ice is long gone in my area. I just had no time to get out. We were out straight at work. The hotel I work at has generators so we became a gathering point for a lot of locals and it was just crazy busy. Where does your friend live in Maine? I live in York county, the Southern most county, and we ended up being the hardest hit here. In the town I live we had about 3/8" ice accumulation but, just a little more inland, some areas recived almost an inch of buildup
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

She lives near Hollis, east of Portland so looks to be in Southern part of state, too.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Yeah, that area got hard hit too. I checked the power company's website and looks like all but River Rd are back up with power. That is just power though so your friend may still not have phone service back yet. Luckily we've had lots of help with power crews coming from as far away as North Carolina, Michigan, and Nova Scotia.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Well we made it through round 1. And round 2 is coming today. I have a doctors appointment at 3pm and will be there an hour, gettng both legs checked for proper blood flow due to some problems. Anyway the storm is supposed to start at 4pm and go through the night My road is still ice covered so it will be real fun when the next round hits. And the trees that are still covered wth ice wll be breaking left and right. I shouldn't have muvh trouble since my trees are all gone anyway

JS

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Hopefully you guys don't get it too bad. The woodstove is what saved us. That first night that the power went out, it got down to 8F outside. Luckily though we were about to keep it about 65 inside and never had any pipes freeze. Some of the people I work with still don't have power. The power company will make a little headway and then we'll get some gusty winds and already weakened trees/branches will snap.
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

We got lucky yesterday. We got a couple inches of snow but, then it changed over to freezing rain. Luckily it didn't last long, just enough so we had to scrape the windows a bit. They're saying this next one is going to give us 6"-8" after it moves on from you guys. I went out for a hike yesterday and the amount of destruction in the woods was unreal. The trails looked like a hurdles track...LOL I'm going to bring an axe out with me when I hit the trails either tomorrow or Saturday to start clearing some crap out of the way.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

hehehe.... when your done clearing the trials I still have 27 trees that need to be brought all the way down, and lots and lots of wood that needs split Hopefully that mess won't get added to tonight There are still two trees on my neighbors property that threaten my house and polebarn if they would come down or loose branches.

I'd much rather have the snow than freezing rain, but I'm also willing to share the snow with you

John
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

We're going to be in for another fun one tonight. 6 - 10 inches coming, which is great, but, then it's supposed to change to mixed precip after so we'll get a nice crusting on everything. Then Sunday we have a Nor'easter coming. Time to break in the new snow shoes
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

WHEW! My area got a little ice last night but by the time I got up it melted, even better the high hit 54! Problem is that now it's around 24 and by Sunday morning it will be in the single digits and by Monday morning 4 degrees

Enjoy the snow, we would have had around 6 or 7 inches if last nights rain would have been snow, water is still filling the ditch out front.... may have a skating rink in the yard tomorrow!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    We're going to be in for another fun one tonight. 6 - 10 inches coming, which is great, but, then it's supposed to change to mixed precip after so we'll get a nice crusting on everything. Then Sunday we have a Nor'easter coming. Time to break in the new snow shoes
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information