PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: What's your day job?

Right, I used to enjoy writing software, writing a magazine column on software development, speaking at conferences ... until I got fed up with it being my full time job.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I'm an Operations Manager for a mortgage loan servicing company.

A communication engineering student... lot of works to be done everyday. lab report will be submit twice a week...data comm and antenna lab as well.

I just finished directing a stageplay for a community theatre. Graduated this past May with a Theatre BA. Was supposed to start dipping my toes into professional theatre with a little stint at Milwaukee Shakespeare, but they closed their doors due to the economy last month. I'm really not sure what the future holds, or where my next job will come from, or even IF it will come.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

hey, I read about that....
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Retired and hating every minute.
    So, I might go to work for Homeland Security, USDA-Forest Service or the USGS; depends on which job I decide on, if any. I might look other places.

If I decide on Homeland Security, Photo-John watch out; I'll be stationed in SLC
    If USGS, I'll be just a few hundred miles south of you.
    If USDA, I'll be in NM.
    "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free"

Cameras: D700 | D300| F5 (Retired to the shelf)
    Lenses: Nikkor 20-35 F/2.8D IF-ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
    Flashes: SB20 | SB28 | SB800
    Gitzo Tripod, Markins Ball Head
    Solmeta N2 GPS (2)

Quote Originally Posted by opus
    I just finished directing a stageplay for a community theatre. Graduated this past May with a Theatre BA. Was supposed to start dipping my toes into professional theatre with a little stint at Milwaukee Shakespeare, but they closed their doors due to the economy last month. I'm really not sure what the future holds, or where my next job will come from, or even IF it will come.
    Hey, were they in the same building as the Wicked Hop?
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Full time web surfer

Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)

Currently a student pursuing my Psychology degree...
    Before that, was 15 years in information technology in various different positions (systems admin, network admin, Microsoft Systems Management Server admin, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line support, more than I care to remember)
    Cheers,
    Greg

---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

Kentucky Wildlife

I've worked for myself for the last couple of decades, doing various things that have gotten me by, sometimes just barely. I’ve been a freelance writer/photographer for over 30 years. I worked as a full time fishing and hunting guide for seven years. Lived completely off the land in the mountains for a couple of years. Have a patent on a fly/lure that I made and marketed direct for about 10 years (did well with that). Published my own magazine for little over a year (depleted everything I made from selling fly/lures).
    Right now, I sell a lot of articles and pictures to newspapers and magazines all over the mid-west, which gives me about the same income as someone flipping burgers, but it is a great lifestyle and I really like my boss.

I'm an Account Executive (salesman), for a credit card processing ISO. My job entails setting merchants up so they can accept credit cards at their business. Actually, the major part of my job is showing merchants how I can save them money, off the fees they are presently paying, and switch them over to the company I work for, which is in Portland, ME. They are an awesome company with top notch service, which is why I've stuck with them, even though I've had better offers.

So, if anyone out there would like to start accepting Visa/MC for their business, I give special deals for photographers. I recently set a forum member from VA up, so he can take credits cards at shows, where he sells his photos.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar

My professional qualification is Chartered Accountant. (The nearest American equivalent is CPA) My last job was Regional Finance Director for a large housebuilder, but I was made redundant last year. My current job is finding my next paying job.
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

I work in the sales office of a small family business that employs <100 people and has been manufacturing precision optical components since 1977. We manufacture precision optics for military applications, hospital equipment, laser telecommunications, binoculars, rifle scopes, and telescopes. Since they realized I'm a hobbyist photographer, they've also asked me to take photos of whatever is needed at the plant (but always on the clock).

My husband is a full-time student now that he is out of the Army. I solely work while he works on his dual degree (Electronics and also Telecommunications). We also moved in with his grandmother because of her poor health. We are also currently supporting her as well. I plan on going back to college once he is finished with school for I don't know what yet.

Weird! I was just scanning this and realised I hadn't contributed to this thread.

I am the minister of a church on the southern end of London, where the big city approaches the countryside and about 25 minutes from London by train.

One of the things about my job is that it is pretty much 24/7. It is absolutely essential to have an interest which has nothing whatsoever to do with my job or with religion - as a sort of "escape" from the pressures. Hence photography. On my day off (normally Monday) I usually take myself off to London or somewhere else - anywhere which is away from the phone. It's therapeutic for me and is "my" time, as opposed to having to share myself with a congregation. Weirdly, my camera club has no less than four members of my church, but they are very good and never mention the job when we are in that context.

In fact, today being Monday, I am off to London to see if I can hunt down some urban art for my collection.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information