PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Water Intoxication

This is sad. I didn't know you could die from drinking water.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070117/...r_intoxication
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Water Intoxication

Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    This is sad. I didn't know you could die from drinking water.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070117/...r_intoxication
    Yep. People who take Ectasy sometimes die from water intoxication because they become extremely thirsty. Too much water flushes ions from your body. Too little sodium, pottasium and other goodies causes fatal results.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

I saw the story a few days ago. Radio station thinks of goofy stunt, apparently doesn't bother to check and see if there is any danger involved. Who can get hurt from drinking water? Radio station fires a bunch of people, but wouldn't even the higher-ups doing the firing still be responsible? Damage control, I guess - sad that someone had to die because of all this. All over a video game that would be forgotten about in a couple months...

This is not common, but very dangerous - especially because it's often misdiagnosed. I read an article a couple of years ago about a woman in an endurance race who got over-hydrated. Everyone, including EMTs, kept telling her she was probably dehydrated and she should drink more water. I can't remember but I think she eventually had a seizure or something. The lesson she learned is pay attention to what your body tells you and not what the so-called "experts" around you are saying. That assumes that you're somewhat experienced and in-tune with what your body is telling you. I drink lots of water when I'm riding. It feels good.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Read this on CNN this morning:

In an online recording of the show, the DJs can be heard making comments joking about people dying from water intoxication, even discussing a case in Northern California two years ago in which student Matthew Carrington, 21, died after drinking too much water during a fraternity stunt.
    Obviously they knew risks were involved. Unbelieveable...

I was listening to new radio this morning and they played three sound bites from the incident:

1st sound bite was with a co-dj vaguely recalling that someone could die from drinking too much water. She also said maybe they should've researched the stunt. The other dj brushed her off and said the human body was 98% water, how could anyone die.

2nd sound bite was with a CALLER telling the djs that they could die from "water intoxification". The djs brush her off with jokes asking the staff, "is anyone dying over there?"

3rd sound bite was of the actual victim telling the djs her head hurts but she was told that was the feeling she would get before she would throw up the water.

just terrible.....
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Thread Information