PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Vista Spies on Users?

There is an article cited on Slashdot that indicates that Vista may be reporting activity to several government agencies such as the DOD, Homeland Security, even the Chinese government. The packet sniffing done by the guy who "discovered" the spying is highly questionable and its not clear if its just nonsense or real. But hey, its fun to read!

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/07/07/22/1712252.shtml
    Last edited by mwfanelli; 07-23-2007 at 02:37 PM.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Vista Spies on Users?

Oh good, another conspiracy. I'm thinking the Chinese might be upset to learn I won't buy any photo stuff from their country. That or they're trying to figure out how far along I am on that super weapon in my basement.
    Wait! I don't have Vista. Or a basement for that matter.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

It's nonsense, and /. has sunk to a new low.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Cancel or Allow? ;)

While I doubt that this particular instance is true, i wonder if there's some other way that Vista sends personal information out, remember the WGA thing in XP?

then again, it doesn't bother me. *clears throat* Hello, I'm a Mac.....
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

I am a mac a pc and a linux! I read that a security firm has worked out a way to use opera to hijack the iphone and that the same flaw applies to macs using the opera browser. I have a suspicion that since the mac has gone to intel chips the number of viruses, worms, spyware and trojans that target the mac platform is set to increase.

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli
    There is an article cited on Slashdot that indicates that Vista may be reporting activity to several government agencies such as the DOD, Homeland Security, even the Chinese government. The packet sniffing done by the guy who "discovered" the spying is highly questionable and its not clear if its just nonsense or real. But hey, its fun to read!

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/07/07/22/1712252.shtml
    I have heard this from a couple of local computer techies here in Rome. When Vista is loaded it reserves space on your hard drive that you can't get to. Maybe to spy on you and report bootleg copies of software ect. But it was just a rumour since it did take a small amount of hard space left unaccounted for. But it is just their rumour I am going on. Someone who works on my computers.....
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I have heard this from a couple of local computer techies here in Rome. When Vista is loaded it reserves space on your hard drive that you can't get to. Maybe to spy on you and report bootleg copies of software ect. But it was just a rumour since it did take a small amount of hard space left unaccounted for. But it is just their rumour I am going on. Someone who works on my computers.....
    That space is used to run the recoveryt options. Compaq used to do that as well.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    Cancel or Allow? ;)

While I doubt that this particular instance is true, i wonder if there's some other way that Vista sends personal information out, remember the WGA thing in XP?

then again, it doesn't bother me. *clears throat* Hello, I'm a Mac.....
    LOL! Hope you didn't install the last batch of Mac updates that is creating repeated core panics!

But yes, when an OS is designed to run on almost anything, including any piece of junk and/or hacked hardware (or even a Mac!) there will be more opportunities for holes and attacks. I don't really think the slashdot article reflects reality if for no other reason than it is extremely obvious. Plus, Zone Alarm has never picked up any unauthorized transmissions on my Vista laptop.

BTW, I have always been curious how Apple has managed to release some huge OS blunders when they design and control the hardware. I think QA is sleeping on the job too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    I am a mac a pc and a linux! I read that a security firm has worked out a way to use opera to hijack the iphone and that the same flaw applies to macs using the opera browser. I have a suspicion that since the mac has gone to intel chips the number of viruses, worms, spyware and trojans that target the mac platform is set to increase.
    All the articles I read said the holes were in Safari, not Opera. Actually, a group managed to hijack the iPhone within the first couple of days, turning it into a small Apache and Python as well as running some other Open Source apps.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking/...pps-282139.php

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

I dunno, Michael, I was running OS X 10.4.10 since the first developer seed (8R2205, 08, 12, 18, etc) about a month or so before its release and had no issues whatsoever, nor have I heard of any major issues with it.

System updates don't currently apply to me beyond firmware updates though, I'm running the developer preview of Leopard and have been since the conference in June
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Thread Information