PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Update: 33 Now Dead at VA Tech

EDIT: Now the worst school shooting in America

Worst school shooting since Columbine. Numbers right now indicate about 21-22 dead and about 25 wounded. The only bright spot is that the shooter was killed. Terrible...
    Last edited by mwfanelli; 04-16-2007 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Updated Stats
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Re: 20+ dead at UVA

I saw that. I'm hesitating to click the link and read about it, those always make me cry. So the shooter was killed, but do they know why he/she did it?

The whys are always so hard to understand...it might be easier on those left behind if they knew...
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I saw that. I'm hesitating to click the link and read about it, those always make me cry. So the shooter was killed, but do they know why he/she did it?

The whys are always so hard to understand...it might be easier on those left behind if they knew...
    I'm betting we will never know why. Some people are just pure evil.

At least the cops responded and acted quickly. During Columbine, the police were too frightened to enter the school so they stood around outside listening to children being murdered. I lived in Golden, CO at the time and was horrified by their inaction.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Update: 31 Now Dead at UVA

My sister lives a few hours north of Blacksburg and she's pretty upset about it. It is the deadliest shooting in America, in schools or otherwise. She works for the phone company that serves that area and says the lines have been jammed all morning.

btw Michael, it's Virginia Tech not UVA
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli
    I'm betting we will never know why. Some people are just pure evil.

At least the cops responded and acted quickly. During Columbine, the police were too frightened to enter the school so they stood around outside listening to children being murdered. I lived in Golden, CO at the time and was horrified by their inaction.
    actually i have a friend who goes to VT... he says there are a few rumors that are circulating that could be true. I'm sure in time we'll figure out what happened.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

The news coverage sucked basically 6 hours of speculation.
    Fox, Cnn, Msnbc, and even Walter are saying its the biggest massacre in American history. I guess they never heard of Wounded Knee or dozens of other massacres of Native americans and how many settlers did the Mormons kill in that massacre after saying they were there to protect them. Not denegrating how horrible the tradgedy is but for 'informed' news stations to say its the worst is just showing their ignorance.

The school is getting a lot of heat for not doing a lock down after the early morning murders which may or may not have led to the students being killed later.
    Its a huge campus without walls and 23,000 students. Doing a lock down would be like saying we should lock down a whole city every time there's a murder.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

33 dead counting the shooter. They're waiting for ballistics results to tie the two scenes together. It seems that the person of interest description from double homicide at the dorm didn't match the dead shooter at the engineering building. According to LE sources, the shooter took himself out after exterminating the 30 people at the second location. I'm glad that I train regularly with my LE friends and am licensed to carry in two states. Guys like this one scare me.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

The shooter was a South Korean senior undergrad student studying English. He had 2 smei-automatic handguns, a 9 mm and what is reported to being a .22 target pistol. Ballistics has linked one of the guns to both the Dorm and the engineering building. Common sense dictates the same shooter, but until the rest of the evidence is in, they can't rule on a single shooter. Rumor mill among my media contacts is a Glock 9mm and Walther target pistol.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Fox, Cnn, Msnbc, and even Walter are saying its the biggest massacre in American history. I guess they never heard of Wounded Knee or dozens of other massacres of Native americans and how many settlers did the Mormons kill in that massacre after saying they were there to protect them. Not denegrating how horrible the tradgedy is but for 'informed' news stations to say its the worst is just showing their ignorance.
    I had been hearing them say "the largest school shooting in American history." Perhaps as the hours went by they became a bit sloppy.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hey Michael I hope you don't mind I updated your thread title to keep the facts current.

I guess it will suffice to say it is the largest shooting in modern American history. The genocide of the Native American peoples notwithstanding. The importance of noting this I assume is in saying that these shootings appear to be happening more frequently, thus drawing more attention to the problem. So maybe we can direct some Iraq money to our own country.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: Update: 33 Now Dead at VA Tech

This is very difficult to read, but really puts a face (or faces) on the story.

From the rumors I've been hearing today (not from news sources) it sounds like the guy was a nut case and should have had a physc exam and removed from the school a long time ago.

Like I said though, only rumors at this point.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

From www.cnn.com

Virginia Tech killer Cho Seung-Hui said his shooting rampage could have been avoided but "you forced me into a corner," in a videotape that was part of a package of writings, pictures and videos mailed to NBC News. The package included a 1,800 word statement described as a manifesto. "You had a hundred billion chances and ways to have avoided today," he said in one of the videos.

You can watch the video on cnn.com
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

OK, I'm just going to chime in here...

obviously there was something wrong with this kid. I did an entire research project on Columbine for social psychology, and I believe that eric and dylan were just victims of the school, kids, faculty, etc. Everyone played a huge part in that. But that was highschool. Highschool was hell. If you didn't fit in, you got picked on. This is college. If you don't want to see someone, you don't. Simple as that. You can be whoever you want to, and with 23,000 students, you will be accepted no matter who you are. If he felt excluded or people were making fun of him, he simply lacked the intelligence or sense to get away from those people. College really is NOT hard to fit in to. Speaking from personal experience, I absolutely hated high school. I wasn't a loser, in fact I was probably one of the better known kids at my school, and I still hated it. I can't even imagine what it was like to be one of the kids who got picked on all the time. But in college, people are more mature and more respectful, for the most part. If he felt "pushed over the edge" there is no one to blame except him for putting himself in that position. Seriously.

And yes the campus is 23,000 or whatever, but they specifically stated after the second shooting occured, they announced it on the emergency speaker system. If the system's in place, it's not hard to get the word out. I can't imagine VTech's campus is much bigger than the one we have here at UNH, but I am certain that within 2 hrs we could have every place on lockdown. With the amount of enforcement, faculty, and just security it could probably be done in less than an hr. There really is no reason that it couldn't be done at VTech. They didn't not do it because they couldn't, they didn't announce it because they didn't want to, because they felt the incident was isolated.

Whether they should have believed they were all safe with a shooter at large even if it was an isolated incident is a whole different story.

Thread Information