PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thread: Thanks iGoogle

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Thanks iGoogle

for destroying my home page with your new features. YOU SUCK! I had my home page set up in a very nice, easy to use way so I had all of the web sites and blogs I check on a regular basis on one single page. Your left hand nav pushed everything to the right, and changed my layout. Now your new gadgets have pushed my bookmarks onto 2 separate pages. What is the point of having bookmarks if you have to go all over the find them? Thanks for ruining my life you stupid #(%*&)#$!

Ok, maybe my life isn't ruined, but I find this "improved" home page to be a major step backwards.

Anyone else using iGoogle as their home page? What do you think of the changes they have made?

Now I need to see if i can get my bookmarks back on a single page...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Thanks iGoogle

Nope, I don't let Google near my computer.
    I use it for searching, nothing else.
    Don't really want to give someone else my bookmarks, links, or any of my data - if it can be avoided.

I don't like the SaaS model, or Cloud computing.
    I want software I own, and I don't get "improvements" forced on me.
    I want my operating system to work too, and my data to be my data - not Google's or Microsoft's
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    for destroying my home page with your new features. YOU SUCK! I had my home page set up in a very nice, easy to use way so I had all of the web sites and blogs I check on a regular basis on one single page. Your left hand nav pushed everything to the right, and changed my layout. Now your new gadgets have pushed my bookmarks onto 2 separate pages. What is the point of having bookmarks if you have to go all over the find them? Thanks for ruining my life you stupid #(%*&)#$!

Ok, maybe my life isn't ruined, but I find this "improved" home page to be a major step backwards.

Anyone else using iGoogle as their home page? What do you think of the changes they have made?

Now I need to see if i can get my bookmarks back on a single page...
    I don't like the new iGoogle. It broke the Gmail gadget...
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Yikes, I'm glad I read this! I hate it when Google messes up a good thing. Was going to give it a try, but not now! Try looking in options, see if there is anything there to revert back or at least adjust. sheesh

Hiya Mike, Paul, Mr. Yuck and Steve!!!
    Lara

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Your left hand nav pushed everything to the right, and changed my layout. Now your new gadgets have pushed my bookmarks onto 2 separate pages. .
    and here I was the only person who feels this way. That stupid left hand nav ruined my homepage and I relied on it a lot! :mad2:
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Okay, I did a little snooping around to see if there was anything that could help you out Mike. Have you tried clicking on "my account." Then "settings" next to the iGoogle icon? There is a layout change and also a few other things that may or may not help. I don't see anything to change it back to tabs though.
    Lara

Yeah, I have played with the settings, but there wasn't anything that changed it back to the way it was. I did check out some of the Google groups and noticed several posting by people who are not happy with the changes. Many people not liking the tabs on the left, and a few complaining about only being able to see 10 of their bookmarks...

I just noticed on my home page on my PC at home that I can now see all of my bookmarks on my home page. I can live with the useless tab on the left, but the bookmark thing was a bit much. I would like it (and so would many others based on the posts I read) if they would move that left hand nav to the top. Tabs across the top would take up a lot less room than a big empty column along the left hand side of the page.

Here is a screen shot of the wasted space on the left side of the page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thanks iGoogle-untitled-3.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Liz

I thought it was me! I recently got a new computer with Vista - and when I brought up the home page, the new one came up for the first time. I have 2 questions.

Previously with the old page, I had an icon on my taskbar that showed/notified me when I had a new gmail when not online. So, if I'm waiting for a gmail I could just check it without going online. I can't find that feature or any option to add it.

Also, I can't figure out how to add an email address. Adding a "contact" automatically sends the contact an invitation to sign up for gmail. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
    Liz

Hi Liz!

When you open the email that you want to add a contact address, in the right corner just to the right of the word "reply" is an upside down triangle. Click on that and about the 5th one down is "add (whoever it is) to contact list." That should do it.
    As for the notifier, you may need to download the program for it. Check out this page.
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...en&answer=9429

Lastly Liz, if you don't want to deal with all of this, in the top right corner of the Gmail page, try click on older version and see if that does what you want.

Mike, Looks like I had no choice with Google's home page. I wasn't using it as default for about 3 months, so I didn't notice it. I totally agree that the wasted space is annoying.
    If you have more than one page, the links are all down the left side and clickable from the home page. That I see as a plus.
    Lot's of people are complaining, so I would hope there will be the option to switch back. Time will tell.
    Lara

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    Hi Liz!

When you open the email that you want to add a contact address, in the right corner just to the right of the word "reply" is an upside down triangle. Click on that and about the 5th one down is "add (whoever it is) to contact list." That should do it.
    As for the notifier, you may need to download the program for it. Check out this page.
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...en&answer=9429

Lastly Liz, if you don't want to deal with all of this, in the top right corner of the Gmail page, try click on older version and see if that does what you want.

Mike, Looks like I had no choice with Google's home page. I wasn't using it as default for about 3 months, so I didn't notice it. I totally agree that the wasted space is annoying.
    If you have more than one page, the links are all down the left side and clickable from the home page. That I see as a plus.
    Lot's of people are complaining, so I would hope there will be the option to switch back. Time will tell.
    Lara,

Hi! It's so good to see you around - and thanks for the quick response. How are you doing these days? I'm not around as much for a few reasons. Right now I'm still "recovering" from the crash of a new pc, getting another model - and in the throws of the learning curve with Vista, Office 2007, Excel et al.......not to mention google.

I think I need to take a class in Vista, Word & Excel. I did buy the Vista for Dummies book.

Thanks for the information and I'll give it a shot this afternoon.

Again, Lara, it's so good to "see" you.

Liz

Hi Liz,

You sure do have your hands full!

I'm doing okay, and visit the site often. Mostly to admire the photography.

Good luck with all the learning stuff. You can always email me with any questions about computer stuff or anything else for that matter, lol.

Take care,
    Lara

igoogle is getting worse and worse. My calendar completely quit working, I'm constantly having to log in and the justification is all screwed up due to the lovely column on the left.

Is there anything similar it igoogle out there?

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

I think Yahoo has something similar. All of my bookmarks are now back on my homepage so I'm much happier. I still don't like that tab on the left, but everything else is working for me now.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I think I'm going to change, but after I find time to dink around with the other personalized home pages. Which might be never! lol

http://mashable.com/2007/06/29/personalized-homepages/

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/02/24...r-who-matters/

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Mike

I noticed today that iGoogle has a survey at the bottom of the home page. Did you see it?

Two of the questions:

What if anything do you find frustrating or unappealing about iGoogle?
    What changes or additional features would you like to see for iGoogle?

Let's hope they get a lot of complaints about the left menu.
    Lara

I know they got at least one complaint about the left menu. Thanks for pointing out the survey. I didn't notice it before.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I just found a link that allows you to switch back to classic. All is right in my virtual world again.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Thread Information