PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Superman Returns

Went and saw this on the 3rd, instead of going for our bike ride like we should have, but it was tooo hot.

What I loved: first off, how cool that they got a guy who looks so much like Christopher Reeve. Also, Kevin Spacey makes a great Lex Luther. The storyline was decent (remember the one where Superman was collecting all the nuclear missles? This was soo not that). And the most important one for me. Just because they have the technology to go all out doesn't mean they did. The special effects were realistic enough to be believable.

You know how when the the new Star Wars movies came out and the computer effects were so dramatic that they seemed like a whole different thing from the originals? That always bugged me. I loved the old Star Wars, and thought the new ones were too computerized to make it seem like they were the "beginning" of the others. Superman was not like that. It was totally believable that this picked up 5 yrs after the others left off.

What I didn't love: Mostly, I'd like to know if Lois Lane stayed with that other guy. But I guess they are saving that for the next movie.

I think I just like comic book movies.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Superman Returns

Glad to hear you liked the film. Personally, I'm tired of Superman, but that's me. If this is as good as you say (and the CGI held in check like you say), I'll probably like it, too.

It was this over-the-top computer fx that (IMO) ruined the Spiderman movies. They were SO CLOSE to being there, with good stories and good performances, but the action stuff almost seemed like animation. Too much...

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    You know how when the the new Star Wars movies came out and the computer effects were so dramatic that they seemed like a whole different thing from the originals? That always bugged me...
    Hah, this made me laugh, because the fx of the original Star Wars series was so "off the hook" at the time. Guess they looked dated by today's standards, but when they first hit theaters, there had been absolutely nothing like it in film...

Yeah, I'm old... :cryin:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

You know how when the the new Star Wars movies came out and the computer effects were so dramatic that they seemed like a whole different thing from the originals?
    Adina, you've put that better than I have been able to yet. It was like, the technology in the "first" three was better than the technology in the "last" three!

(Besides the fact that everyone in the "first" three had obviously seen The Matrix)

Steve's right, the effects in the 70's movies were mind-blowing. The mistake film makers seem to make today is selling their films on cheap CGI and not letting the actors and characters carry the film (imagine Star Wars without Harrison Ford!)

Spidermen - not a big fan of Toby McGuire as Spiderman there. And I agree, you can tell many of the fight scenes are just computers - no actors in them at all!

I will probably not see Superman. Just not interested. But I'm glad to hear a review of it.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I agree the guy looked a lot like Christopher Reeve----

This guy(in my opinion) lacks the presence to really pull off Superman. Christopher Reeve walked into a scene even when cheesy things were going on---and he commanded the screen... this guy although he looks the part just doesn't have that...in still shots and promo shots for the movie he essentially has the same look in each one---he just lacks a range in emotion and experience to really be a predecessor to the title...just my two cents---the movie was fun but not great as I had hoped....
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I watched the beginning of Superman 2 on HBO the other day. Man, those effects were cheesey. A movie like that wouldn't last two seconds today. Audiences would drive Mack trucks through the holes in the script. But, man did Chris Reeve play that role! I remember as a kid watching those films and not realizing Clark Kent and Superman were the same guy...
    Walter Rick Long

Hiya

Hubby and I saw Superman Returns. I'm not a huge fan of that movie series, but we gave it a try. Somewhere mid movie, I got bored. Then final scenes "woke me up.".

We're going to see Pirates of the Carribean 2 this weekend. I've been reading mixed reviews about it, but I loved the first one and hope the second is as entertaining. At least none of the reviews I read gave it a very bad rating. Pans were mostly nit picking.
    Lara

Saw Superman Returns.

Thought it was great.

CGI wasn't very obvious but there are some parts where you wonder why they had to use it. I would've preferred blue screen "in some parts" over CGI.

Routh pulled off a good Clark but could've been a better Supes.

Spacey was excellent.

The story stuck to the original aspects of the GOOD Superman movies. Even the intro and music was inline with the original.

The twist is questionable....I wonder if the comic will adopt the new twist....

I think it is worth watching even if you are not a Superman fan...
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Just me and my camera

Oh! I saw this movie too and loved it!
    The special effects were amazing, well worth seeing on the big screen.
    I liked how they didn't start the storyline right from the beginning (he was a boy...grew up on a farm...met Lois Lane...) we know all that stuff already so it was nice to bypass it completely.
    The only thing I didn't like was the plot that Lex luther was making up; i found it hard to follow at times. By mid movie I bascially got what he was trying to do, but for a while I was watching not really sure what his plan was. Overall, terrrific movie, it was fun!
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

What I loved: first off, how cool that they got a guy who looks so much like Christopher Reeve. Also, Kevin Spacey makes a great Lex Luther.

DITTO!

I also liked how they kept the voice of jourel (sp) and the lettering in the beginning and the theme music the same as the originals. At first I did not care for who they chose as Lois, but she grew on me. I also have been watching Smallville tho and got used to the "tough girl" Lois...

Amber
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

I finally saw this (2 years later) I actually liked it a lot, I'm glad they stuck to the traditional Superman themes and did not go psycho on us. I thought Routh was a scarey look-alike to Christopher Reeve, he even got the "goodbye Lois"'s right. I agree with what Nat said though he did not command the screen like Reeve did.

I actually didn't like Kevin Spacey too much as Luthur, other than the fact that he looked exactly like him. I thought he was too much "Spacey" and not enough "Luthur." And Kate Bosworth surprised me as Lois Lane, I thought she did well.

I read on imdb they are producing a sequel for 2011.
    Walter Rick Long

Thread Information