PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Liz

Speakers for CD & Ipod - advice needed

I'm looking to purchase either a CD player with an IPod dock or an IPod dock with a CD player. I've seen quite a few of them around. However, I don't know what I'm looking for in the speakers that are included in the dock/CD player.

I will play mostly classical music and I want something that will give me the sounds of the different instruments. IOW if the speakers are good, I should be able to hear the different instruments in the orchestra and pick them out. I want something with good fine tuning. It used to be called "stereo" but now I don't know what I'm looking for and don't see anything on the box that gives me a clue as to the sound except for subwoofers. I've seen some "digital tuning included" written on the box but don't know what that means.

Costco has a few IPod docks with a CD player included. One includes 2 "thin" speakers and a larger "subwoofer." The saleman told me the subwoofer is basically for emphasizing the base only which isn't what I'm looking for.

Also, small is good. I'd rather not get anything huge as my apartment is small and I don't have a lot of room. I've seen some "thin" speakers with an Ipod but they were very expensive. My budget is around $200.

I appreciate any information and/or input and advice.

Liz

Re: Speakers for CD & Ipod - advice needed

I know some the logitech computer sound systems come with an MP3 connector (just a cable that runs from the headphone jack). I have heard some of these are quite good, because they are a surround system. The bass will emphasize the abss end of things such as the bass drum, timpani, lower brass, and lower woodwinds. Then you have your center channel that will pick up more of the highs. Then you have the four other speakers that will take care of your mids. These can be had for about $150, and you can also use it for your computer, or TV.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by zrfraser
    I know some the logitech computer sound systems come with an MP3 connector (just a cable that runs from the headphone jack). I have heard some of these are quite good, because they are a surround system. The bass will emphasize the abss end of things such as the bass drum, timpani, lower brass, and lower woodwinds. Then you have your center channel that will pick up more of the highs. Then you have the four other speakers that will take care of your mids. These can be had for about $150, and you can also use it for your computer, or TV.
    Please explain - or tell me if the logitech computer sound system works only through the computer. Just to clarify, I'm looking for speakers not connected to my pc which is in my office (home office). My preference would be an Ipod Dock with a CD player and small speakers with the fine tuning that you mention above. It will be for my living room - and I won't be using the earphones.

Do you think speakers with the "surround sound system" is what I should be looking at? I noticed very thin speakers at Best Buy - but they were $300 so I'm assuming the sound is good. That's what lead me to believe I could get small/thin speakers with good sound - maybe for a bit less money - $200 or so.

Sorry - I guess I need an "explanation of sound systems" for dummies.

Thank you.

Liz

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Hey Liz, are we talking Classical Rock, Jazz or longhair? Just kidding. My daughter uses an iHome clock radio/dock that has excellent sound in a relatively small package. I think most of the iHome line is affordable and sounds relatively good. Have you tried a Radio Shack or Best Buy?
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

My wife has an ihome for her Ipod and its ok, but no fine tuning. I know logitech has a 3 speaker setup which would be consider 2.1 surround sound. It has two satellite speakers with a subwoofer. You can plug an ipod into it and it does have some tunign capibilities. Also, your iPod will have an equalizer built into itunes you just have to set it up.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Consumer Reports recently did a review of ten of the newest iPod dock systems out there. They input "pink noise" which generates random sounds in all three ranges- low, midtones, and highs, and rated the systems based strictly on sound reproduction. Here's your winner:

http://reviews.cnet.com/audio-shelf-...-32077732.html

Hope this heps.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    Consumer Reports recently did a review of ten of the newest iPod dock systems out there. They input "pink noise" which generates random sounds in all three ranges- low, midtones, and highs, and rated the systems based strictly on sound reproduction. Here's your winner:

http://reviews.cnet.com/audio-shelf-...-32077732.html

Hope this heps.

- Joe U.
    Joe,

Thank you! I watched the video and followed up by checking out the Cambridge Soundworks - specifically the 745i (the one in the video). I'm leaning toward getting this one, but it's more than I wanted to pay, so I'm going to wait a few days until I can think it over. However, I'm pretty sure it's exactly what I'm looking for.

The only question I have is that the person in the video said that the only "negative" is that it is complicated to figure out how to work it. Since I'm "technically challenged" and need "explanations for dummies" when it comes to electronics, I hope it's not THAT complicated. I guess I could find someone to set it up.

Thanks so much. This sounds awesome, and I don't think I'd find anything less expensive that will come this close to what I'm looking for - so I will probably spend the money.

I really appreciate your help.

Liz

Liz

Final Decision - sort of.......

Wednesday I went to B&H to look at the Cambridge 745i and came home with a Nano Ipod 4G which is plenty for my use. I couldn't "look" at the 745 since they didn't have it on display. They were out of stock on black, but had the white. Yesterday I called to order the white one - and they had sold the last one. Unfortunately they are the only dealer that I found selling these models at $299 no tax and free shipping - all other dealers are selling them for $349.

I'm debating if I should get the 735i - same model without the CD player. However, I have many CD's and am wondering - once again what to do. The 735 is $100 cheaper at $199.

Any thoughts?

Also - when I download music from a CD or from the internet or other sources, would the sound quality differ according to how or where you downloaded it from? IOW if I use a cheap CD player that doesn't have good sound quality, will it affect the quality of the sound when played on a good system?

Thanks for your help.

Liz

You can convert your cd's to mp3s on your computer and then load them onto your ipod. Easy peasy.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Also - when I download music from a CD or from the internet or other sources, would the sound quality differ according to how or where you downloaded it from? IOW if I use a cheap CD player that doesn't have good sound quality, will it affect the quality of the sound when played on a good system?
    I remember years ago when CD players first came out, some people claimed to hear a difference between different ones. These were the real obsessive types who had a ton of money wrapped up into their stereo, and probably spent more on cables for their system than most normal people would spend on an entire stereo system. Maybe they were trying to justify - but I don't think in the real world that there's any difference in sound between a cheap CD player and an expensive one. A top of the line one will read thru errors on the disc easier and have a lot more features and look cooler...

However - the way the CD is "recorded" on the computer can affect the sound quality. Using Apple's (iTunes and iPod) default settings, it will sound close but maybe not quite as good as a CD on a traditional CD player thru a good stereo. But, the computer file you create will be a whole lot smaller and if you're using small speakers or the included earbuds you probably won't notice it.

Personally, I use the standard earbuds and the default settings it sounds fine. I noticed yesterday that I have about 1000 songs in iTunes and it's around four gigs - if I burned at a higher quality, the space used would be higher.

Liz

Steve,
    Thanks for all the information - and for taking the time to help. I've decided to stick to my decision to get the Cambridge Soundworks 745i which includes the CD player. It's the same model, size and weight as the one without the CD. I have many CD's and with this model will have both the Ipod dock and CD player. I won't get all the CD's downloaded at once - and even if CD's become obsolete I still have mine. This model has rave reviews as far as sound goes, so now all I have to do is wait until B&H gets them back in stock which they said would be soon. They aren't easy to find - and B&H is the only place that sells them for $299 no tax and free shipping - they are $350 at all other stores.

Thanks again. You've been a great help here.

Adina - thanks for the info. I thought I could download directly from the CD to the Ipod so this was a surprise. :idea:

Liz

Liz

Any more suggestions?

I tried to place an order for the Cambridge Soundworks 741i CD/Ipod Radio system. All dealers including B&H and Cambridge are out of stock on this item. B&H was supposed to get them in after Jan 1, Cambridge the 2nd week of January, etc. I just called today and Cambridge said no shipments for anyone will happen until sometime in February.

I decided to look for another similar system. I would like a good stereo type sounding system. Some systems have Bass control but not treble. I would like both.

My criteria includes:
    Budget - $200 - $300
    CD player
    Ipod dock
    Stereo/Hi Fi with ability to hear different instruments (classical music)
    Treble and Bass Manual control (tuners)

I checked out Bose but can't find anything with a CD included below $500.

I've checked out the other systems mentioned in the replies; however, I am still looking for one that includes the CD player. The above mentioned systems are Ipod docking systems only. No radio or CD.

Thanks for suggestions. I'm hoping to check some out this weekend so I can finally listen to my Christmas gift CD's - and new Ipod.

Liz

Liz

Update - B&H finally got the Cambridge Soundworks 745i Radio, CD player and Ipod docking system in. This item is really popular! It was out of stock everywhere for about a month - then B&H got a shipment and updated their website. That was yesterday - it's already out of stock again.

Thankfully I ordered mine immediately and should get it tomorrow or Thursday!

Here is the link if anyone is interested. Also cambridgesoundworks.com should be getting it in this week.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ock_Radio.html

Liz

Thanks for the update - guess I didn't notice your later replies. I have been thinking about the Bose since I heard my neighbor's awhile back, but this one looks really popular. It's out of stock again...

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Thanks for the update - guess I didn't notice your later replies. I have been thinking about the Bose since I heard my neighbor's awhile back, but this one looks really popular. It's out of stock again...
    Steve,
    B&H had both the Bose and Cambridge Soundworks. CS is rated above the Bose at CNet - and buyer reviews - and if I recall it's about $200 less expensive. It is supposed to have better sound quality. The sales person at B&H suggested this one over the Bose - he said with Bose you're paying some of that extra for the name - this may be his personal opinion, but the ratings convinced me.

Cambridge Soundworks stores in MA should be getting them this week as they told me they should get them in before B&H (they didn't as far as I know). CS lists the price at $349 "on sale." B&H $299.

However, I called earlier this month and CS said they will meet B&H price - no problem. It's free shipping at both places, but no tax at B&H (CS you have to pay tax).

BTW, I had to return the Ipod I purchased because it doesn't take 3rd generation Nanos (but takes other Ipods 3rd gen). However, after checking - I couldn't find any decent system that works with this specific (3rd gen) Nano. Just be sure it takes your Ipods - which it probably does. For some reason the 3rd Gen Nano isn't a popular Ipod for connections.

Check out the Cambridge Soundworks website - there is a number to call for an update for delivery.

BTW - B&H will be getting another shipment too - they usually get their shipments quickly when they reorder. Also - you can only get the black one - for some reason the white one won't be in until April as stated on CS website.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...item=c1745inzz

ETA - here is another review which includes Wall St. Journal comment

Best CD table radio.Reviews say the Cambridge SoundWorks CD 745i is the best high-quality radio/CD player. The Wall Street Journal awards the previous version of this table radio (the 745i adds an iPod dock, but is otherwise the same) its highest rating among five table radios tested, saying the subwoofer creates the most satisfying and best low-register sound. The Cambridge radio plays CDs and MP3s, has a remote control and costs $150 less than the Bose Wave Music System (*est. $500) and Boston Acoustics MicroSystem CD (*est. $500), which have similar features. The Cambridge table radio includes a digital clock with dual alarms.
    Liz

Didn't know that about the new Nano - I guess compatibility issues aren't just with cameras! My neighbor has the Bose iPod dock which is about $300. It only works with an iPod, not like the Wave Radio which also is quite impressive. Another neighbor's iPhone worked in their Bose dock, as well as various iPods so I figured it was fairly universal.

Once it's all figured out, I'm sure you'll be happy you got it. My iPod gets a lot of use!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Didn't know that about the new Nano - I guess compatibility issues aren't just with cameras! My neighbor has the Bose iPod dock which is about $300. It only works with an iPod, not like the Wave Radio which also is quite impressive. Another neighbor's iPhone worked in their Bose dock, as well as various iPods so I figured it was fairly universal.

Once it's all figured out, I'm sure you'll be happy you got it. My iPod gets a lot of use!
    Steve,
    Actually the 3rd generation Nano isn't the "new" one. The odd thing is that most Ipod docks will work with the 1st, 2nd and 4th generation - including the Cambridge Soundworks, but won't work with the 3rd. I was told it works with all Ipods except this one - and it doesn't work with the brand new "touch" Ipods. As you said, it will be all figured out.

The Bose Wave radio is quite impressive, I agree, and Bose is certainly one of the best out there with an incredible reputation for sound. I don't think the CS works with the iphone, but am not sure. At any rate, I probably won't use the Ipod as much as the CD player for the time being, anyway.
    Liz

Thread Information