PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

so whats allowed these days when flying?

I know the rules are always changing when flying these days,assuming we will not have a hightened alert before hand(lets hope not!) but was curious if you all have any troubles getting your Camera bags threw security? I need to dbl. check locally on several things by next month as Ill be flying out to shoot some pics of two races .
    I havent flown in about 10 years,not even sure whats allowed as carry on or size or limits...

I have a Camera backpack with about all my wk ends needs all in my bag,Ill probably take out the liquid cleaners(I heard no liquid substances or chapstick for carry ons )
    Anything in my Bag that they will NOT permit? I would not be a happy camper if I had to leave behind something of importance or expensive.
    Any heads up I should be aware of??
    Im looking forward to venturing out of State, but seriously not looking forward t oflying - I hate heights lol.

Re: so whats allowed these days when flying?

Tripods are generally not allowed as carryons but I have seen them make it thru security. Other than that, you're all set other than the liquid thing...

They have a 3-1-1 rule - three ounce container maximum, one quart ziploc bag, one per passenger. The container size has to be a max of 3oz; apparently a lot of people are surprised by this when they bring an almost empty large tube of toothpaste. Just get the travel size stuff and you'll be fine. Very few times have they even wanted to see inside my camera bag.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Where are you flying from/to ?
    The rules are different for international/regional flights.
    Flights to/from the USA are particularly bad.
    But internal flights may not attract the same levels of paranoia.
    Like x-raying your shoes ...
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

drg

The best source of current information is the Transportation Safety Administration themselves who have an online information (current to the day usually) at:

http://www.tsa.gov/

They also allow you to sign up for 'feeds' that will tell you as needed what is the current status.

Happy and Safe traveling!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I just flew to Utah and back from San Jose, and I took my complete camera bag (Bodies, lenses, flashes, etc) but I took my lens cleaning fluid out. Security didn't even ask me any questions about my gear or anything.

But as SmartWombat said, different airports have different rules. When I flew out of Nashville, TN two years ago, they made me take out my video camera and record a few seconds of video to show that it works.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Im flying from Idaho to Arizona and Idaho to California.
    My pack has just about everything needed for my Camera(2- one gallon ziplocs,all my lenses,batteries ect.
    Does the X-ray have any effect on the memory with the pics ?

Quote Originally Posted by QuadJunkies
    Does the X-ray have any effect on the memory with the pics?
    No. Each flight might be a totally different experience with the TSA. Just do what they say, make sure you don't bring anything you can't bring, etc. I haven't flown since late September which was two days after they allowed the 3-1-1 thing with the liquids. I don't think you can even bring a bottle of water but you can buy one once you're thru security, then throw it away before you get on the plane because you'll get another one anyway (explain that...). Even if you fly fairly often it can be a lot to keep up with. Just be as prepared as you can be and everything will go smoothly.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I just flew to/from Jamaica and I didn't have any problems. I packed my tripod inside my suitcase so I wouldn't have to carry it on the plane. Like you mentioned, I also took out the liquid cleaner, and put that in my checked luggage as well. One other thing to consider is tools. If you have any tools in your bag to work on your gear, take them out. My wifes uncle forgot he had a small screwdriver in his bag for working on his gear, and had to throw it away before getting on a plane...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information