PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Snakes on a Plane

Hit the movies this weekend. This was not my first choice. In fact, wasn't my second, third, forth, fifth, sixth....

We met up with some friends and hit the driving range for a while, then had dinner and headed over to the theater.

The young guys (and the older guys, for that matter) laughed thru almost the whole thing. I spent a good deal of the time not watching. Up until the big snake fell thru the window. Then I got up and left. Walked over to Starbucks and waited for the rest of my party to finish the movie.

Final verdict: I guess if you're a guy, have a great time. If you are at all squeamish, you might want to pass. Best line (that I saw) "oh great, snakes on crack"
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: Snakes on a Plane

That would be me. No interest at all in seeing that movie.

"Accepted", now that's a movie I'm interested in seeing. (Especially since UWM has f ... scr ... errr, "made mistakes" along the whole process of my transfer.) Have I mentioned that school starts in a week and I DON'T EVEN HAVE MY CLASSES yet?? :mad2:

SO .... I guess I'll be avoidin' Snakes on a Plane then. I heard it did really bad at the box office, too, especially after all the internet hype. I actually thought it was a spoof movie, myself, with a lame title like that.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hey Kelly, glad to see you posting again

What exactly was all the hype around this film? I know there was a huge media & cult buildup, but why? The ad looked ridiculous, but I heard it was the #1 movie this weekend.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Final verdict: I guess if you're a guy, have a great time. If you are at all squeamish, you might want to pass. Best line (that I saw) "oh great, snakes on crack"
    A guy? My niece used to work at a small pavillion/zoo and handled snakes all the times. She also put these big horrible South American (Asian?) cockroaches on her arms and carried big spiders around to let the kids pet them. Her attitude was simple: even ugly animals need love!
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Okay, let me expand. If you like snakes, and blood and guts, go see this movie. The theater we were at, probably 90% of the audience was guys.

And there was no love for the snakes. It was all about snake attacks. The scene that stands out was the one where the guy was in the bathroom on the plane, the snake came out of the toilet and bit him on the....ummm...guy parts, and then latched on while the guy flailed around.

Adina, I heard there was a tag line that people knew about even before the movie was released, and it wasn't pretty.

I know one guy who will never see this movie. My Hubby HATES snakes.

BTW, had I been with you and the rest of group who went to see the movie, I would have been right behind you, when you headed for Starbucks!
    Lara

Liz

BTW, had I been with you and the rest of group who went to see the movie, I would have been right behind you, when you headed for Starbucks!

I would have waited at Starbucks the whole time. :thumbsup:

The only thing I dislike more than snakes would be spiders. I have to kill a spider before I walk past it.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I have to kill a spider before I walk past it.
    Really?! They don't bite. Well, some of them do but they don't bite hard.

Save me a place on the couch at Starbucks... I did have a (another) bat in the house this Saturday morning. That was exciting.

well as a snake lover, i prob would have been in starbucks as well. well, maybe would have stayed and said everything wrong with the movie (anyone seen andacondas- me and my roommate cut up on the ENITER movie, and she was an archeologist not a herpetologist)
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Liz

I did have a (another) bat in the house this Saturday morning. That was exciting.

Hmmmm....bats are probably 3rd on my list of strong dislikes....spiders and snacks being the first, of course.

ETA: snakes, not snacks.......heheheh!

Liz

I'd have joined you on the couch at Starbucks right after dinner, and sent the guys along to see the movie while I chatted with you about fun stuff.

The one movie I saw that I critically snipped apart the whole time was TWISTER. That was just filled with things wrong with it. Mostly cinematography and dialog ... tell me, how does a semi truck go flying through the air past a pickup truck, while the pickup stays on the ground? Why do people run UPHILL to escape an F5? And why did the tornadoes growl like tigers?

Anyhoo, yeah, I'da been sipping chai with you. I hate wasting money on a bad movie.

get the snakes off photography review! +ban Snakes@*.*
    Nikon D50
    Nikkor 28mm-80mm f/3.3-5.6
    Quantaray 70mm-300mm f/4.0-5.6
    Quantaray 58mm Circular Polarizer, Diffuser, UV Haze Filters

(¯°`v°´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.• ¨¯`•.<

A snake! A snake!

Wow Kelly! That's cool!

Yes, a waste of money for me. It was me and dh, and another couple, so I felt I should at least give it a shot. I did tell them, though, that I usually don't make it thru movies like that.

btw...

when I first moved to Milwaukee after high school, I stayed with my aunt, they had a partially finished attic. Came with it's own bat. I swear, you could hear that thing in the walls, and I used to have dreams (I hope they were dreams) of this thing hovering over me. A few years ago, she told me they found where it was coming into the house. Right above my bed. How nice was that. Thanks for telling me, I'd have prefered to stay oblivious.

Aw, you had a bat in your belfry! Neener!

I found a scorpion running around by our pool a few nights ago. I was going to step on it but I was wearing flipflops. Wasn't sure his little stinger wouldn't wrap around and get my toe!
    Walter Rick Long

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Aw, you had a bat in your belfry! Neener!
    Like I said, not the first time... I think they're great because we have almost no mosquitos in the neighborhood - but generally prefer them outside. My wife always prefers them outside; at least that's what I got from the screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    tell me, how does a semi truck go flying through the air past a pickup truck, while the pickup stays on the ground?
    There was a huge tornado near here almost 40 years ago and I saw a bunch of pictures of it awhile back. It was big news because it came thru a school (Belvidere IL, 1967). One building destroyed, the one next to it unharmed. Now I know that you know a lot more about this than me, but that one might be plausable. Might be.

So last night I saw cirrus clouds in an otherwise clear sky with the tails dropping and curving towards the west. The wind was out of the west so it was pushing the whole thing (evenly) to the east. Thought that would have meant that the wind, at least at that altitude, would have been from the east. Does this sound right?

That would be Mr. Threadsplitter, thank you.

yer lookin' fer an explaination, huh?

TOTALLY possible and well documented that a tornado can destroy a structure and leave the one next door unscathed. I've seen this with my own eyes. I saw the path of a tornado through a cornfield. It had very distinct edges ... this corn flattened, that corn upright. ALSO, a mini-vortex must have swirled out of it and gone through my friend's garden (backed up to the main cornfield). She had about twelve rows of corn in her garden ... THREE ROWS in the midst of them were flattened. The rest stood upright. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

As far as the cirrus clouds, they form when water droplets reach the temperature of condensation, usually when meeting a different parcel of air. What you probably saw was that the clouds were just at the top of the westerly flow of air, and above that would be a layer of air that was not flowing. The drag would cause the tails to drop and curve.

Does I sound smart yet?

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Fwiw...

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    As far as the cirrus clouds, they form when water droplets reach the temperature of condensation, usually when meeting a different parcel of air.
    FWIW, all clouds are formed by condensation. Cirrus clouds are very high altitude and very cold and are formed from ice crystals.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

We had a grass snake in our yard last time I mowed. It's lucky it got away, instead of getting scattered all over the lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    We had a grass snake in our yard
    Then would that be "A snake on a plain?"

I kill me! Har har!
    Walter Rick Long

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Then would that be "A snake on a plain?"

I kill me! Har har!

Arrr, arrr, arrr, arrrr! :lol:

(too bad there's no pirate smiley here!)

Apparently it's not the snake's bite that's the biggest problem:

http://tinyurl.com/geeh6

I wonder where the snakes butt is?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information