PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Schools and Photography

I would certainly drop any class that had such a strict phone policy. I rely on my phone for its text messaging, and e-mail capabilities. In fact, I often (several times during class) check my e-mail inbox. Does this disrupt the class? No, because my phone is silenced (from keystrokes and ringing), and I'm usually actively participating in learning, and so phone use is prioritized accordingly. I am an adult, and I will not have another adult discipline me for keeping an open line of communication with those that are important to me, or my obligations.

Will I take pictures of my professor or other students? Not unless they ask me to. Will I take a call in the class? Absolutely not -- I'll leave first. However, to be asked to "check" my phone at the gate, or turn it off completely is just not going to fly. Even if I did not need my phone on for work purposes, I would expect to be treated with enough trust to not use my phone actively during lecture. If I broke this trust, I would expect to be asked to leave the room.

As far as this article/situation -- the children were being disruptive, and should be disciplined. However, I am against any blanket result coming from this particular situation. We're individuals, not sheep. I'm a firm believer that there are levels of trust, and thus levels of discipline.

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pose
    I would certainly drop any class that had such a strict phone policy. I rely on my phone for its text messaging, and e-mail capabilities. In fact, I often (several times during class) check my e-mail inbox. Does this disrupt the class? No, because my phone is silenced (from keystrokes and ringing), and I'm usually actively participating in learning, and so phone use is prioritized accordingly. I am an adult, and I will not have another adult discipline me for keeping an open line of communication with those that are important to me, or my obligations.

Will I take pictures of my professor or other students? Not unless they ask me to. Will I take a call in the class? Absolutely not -- I'll leave first. However, to be asked to "check" my phone at the gate, or turn it off completely is just not going to fly. Even if I did not need my phone on for work purposes, I would expect to be treated with enough trust to not use my phone actively during lecture. If I broke this trust, I would expect to be asked to leave the room.

As far as this article/situation -- the children were being disruptive, and should be disciplined. However, I am against any blanket result coming from this particular situation. We're individuals, not sheep. I'm a firm believer that there are levels of trust, and thus levels of discipline.
    Well, I guess we are on the same page. In my first day syllabus, my "no cell phone policy" is clearly laid out and commented on. At that point, any student is allowed to withdraw from the course with a full refund. Students can make up their own minds. In my case, my enrollment is growing quickly, so I don't think that my cell phone policy is bothering most students.

I, of course, don't live on my own cell phone the way some others do. Using a phone in a classroom is rude and self-centered. If someone has an uncontrollable urge to use a phone all hours of the day to the point of having to drop a class to do it, well, I feel very sorry for him/her.

High schools are entirely different, especially as most of the students are underaged. Younger students are also much more likely to pay more attention to their phones than to their classes.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

I suppose cell phone issues are the new attendance issues. While I rarely miss a class per school year, I do my best to avoid strict policy. This issue becomes more difficult for me personally because I take only 12 credits per semester, so by dropping a class I drop below full time status. I could do without the added stress of classroom rules, as I simply want to take a class, learn, and move on. Being a pain to fellow students and teachers adds nothing of benefit to my goals!

Quote Originally Posted by Pose
    I suppose cell phone issues are the new attendance issues. While I rarely miss a class per school year, I do my best to avoid strict policy. This issue becomes more difficult for me personally because I take only 12 credits per semester, so by dropping a class I drop below full time status. I could do without the added stress of classroom rules, as I simply want to take a class, learn, and move on. Being a pain to fellow students and teachers adds nothing of benefit to my goals!
    I'm curious. What school do you attend and what is their cell phone policy?

I should mention that the college I teach at has a clearly stated electronic devices policy. That policy says no to everything! They do, however, let each professor make whatever exceptions are considered reasonable.

I used to allow cell phones if they were set on vibrate and all voice/text were answered in the hallway, not the classroom. But after last semester's gross abuse of the policy by a few students, I just banned them completely. I don't take the cell phones away, I just kick the cell phone and it's user out of the class!

I also do not allow iPods and similiar, non class-related cameras, running laptops, portable TV sets, oils and canvas, Ouija boards, jet aircraft tuning, etc. during class time. You might hate my rules! :-)

Also, I doubt that any student who does decide to drop my class would have difficulty making up the 4 credits in another class to keep their full-time status.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

What do you teach Michael?
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    What do you teach Michael?
    At various times, physics (calculus, algebra, and conceptual), light science, physical science (conceptual mostly for education majors), weather, and some math courses once in a while. During the summer, I did a two-week chemistry workshop for middle school kids. That was fun.

I make almost nothing compared to the low 6 figures I used to make (alas, easy money in, easy money out) but I enjoy going to work now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information