PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Saddam to be executed

I am not a big supporter of George Bush or the war in Iraq. I think that once Saddam was captured we should have left Iraq. But that being said his execution will not sadden me. But it will probably start a civil war. Any thoughts?
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16389128/
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Saddam to be executed

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    But it will probably start a civil war.
    And it's been a debated topic whether not we're there already... The "official" word is that Saddam is still in the hands of the US and not turned over to the Iraqis as of this moment, but I'd bet nobody will know anything (or admit to it) until after it's done.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I think he should be kept alive. Killing him won't accomplish anything. His rehabilitation and reintroduction to the Iraqis as a reformed man could quell some of the violence there.

There is already evidence of this, with the recent release of the letter Sadaam wrote asking Iraqis not to hate Americans.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Saddam has been hanged. Confirmation was recieved over the news net a few moments ago (about 7:15 pm PST).

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I think he should be kept alive. Killing him won't accomplish anything. His rehabilitation and reintroduction to the Iraqis as a reformed man could quell some of the violence there.

There is already evidence of this, with the recent release of the letter Sadaam wrote asking Iraqis not to hate Americans.
    Nice point Rick. I feel this is just going to fuel an already bad situation. He wasn't going to hurt anyone else behind bars. I don't think his future release was a good idea but maybe held in a neutral country for the rest of his life.
    I hope that if they ever catch Osama his serves his time here in the states, and rots away in prison...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

I think its going to get worse now. Saddam's death will only inflame the civil war that is brewing over there.

It's interesting to note our direct involvement in civil wars in the last 50 some years. None have really turned out all that well. The Koreas are technically still at war - they've just been at "peace" because of a very long cease fire. We got it handed to us in Vietnam, a civil war we shouldn't have been involved in anyway. Now we're about to make a third mistake, and as usual, the people who suffer for it are the American soldiers over there.

Greg, on the Osama point, he would never be put into the general population of an American prison because he is too high value. He would be in a shadow prison like the one that was in the first season of 24.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Thread Information