PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

R.I.P. Richard Pryor

Richard Pryor died of a heart attack this moring.

More info here.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Sad, but if ever...

...there was a guy on borrowed time, it was Pryor. He probably cheated death several times during his roller-coaster life...

I first rememeber seeing Pryor on the Ed Sullivan show, and back then his standup act was very sanitary. No topics like race or poverty or sex, or anything politically incorrect for that matter...

It was amazing to see his power grow and his material expand to point a hilarious, yet poignant spotlight on many if not all of America's social ills as well as the sexual revolution.

He was also the first black comic I can recall that, in addition to an entire stable of black characters, could also do a large number of white characters perfectly, everything from the stuffy corporate CEO to the southern sheriff.

I was simply blown away by that ability, and it always kept me off guard when listening to his humor, as I never knew when he was going to throw in some weird funny character that I didn't expect...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Mudbone was my favorite.

You are so right Steve. He had many close calls and cheated death several times.

The caracter that I love and remember most is Mudbone. The way he would tell a story as Mudbone always made me want to hear more.

I rode in the MS 150 this past summer to help raise money to fight MS. There were lots of people there riding with pictures of thier loved ones on their shirts, that they were riding in rememberance of... I wished I had a Richard Pryor shirt for that ride. I was planning on getting one for next years ride, but I haven't decided if I'm going to do it again or not. If I do, I will have a Richard Pryor shirt on.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information