PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: The Price of Gasoline - How does (will) it affect you?

At least I'll have an excuse to not mow the lawn so often.
    I know...get an electic lawnmower. How long would it take me to save as much on gas as one would cost?
    I'd like a more fuel efficient car but my Bronco,(12.5 mpg) is only worth about 2,000 and for anything decent I'd need to spend 12 to 15 grand I'm guessing. Take a long time to save that much on gas, too.

As for global warming, I have no doubt it is occuring but each side makes good arguments about how much mankind is to blame.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Re: Global warming

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    It is really strange to read this discussion (about using your car less) and see that nobody has mentioned global warming. This is really getting to be a big deal in Europe. Didn't people see Al Gore's movie?

In Europe we have always had what Americans would call high gas prices. Personally I have a small car, I drive economically, I don't make unnecessary trips (including plane trips) - but it's to limit my output of CO2.

Charles

p.s. Global Warming = the CO2 gas produced by combustion is causing the world temperature to rise, with unpredictable effects on the weather and on the world in general.
    That's a good point, Charles, and that's why the rise in prices isn't really bothering me. I don't like spending the extra money, but at least I know it's leading to lower SUV sales and more fuel efficient cars.

I think the biggest thing that prevents people from seeing An Inconvenient Truth is our current Administration's stance on Global Warming. I think the official party line says something like, "let's wait until it's too late and then blame it on France"...I'm paraphrasing. Seriously though, a lot of people don't trust Gore because they still believe he tried to take credit for inventing the internet. It's sad how smear campaigns have such a long lasting effect. I wish someone other than an ex-politician had made this movie, so more people would give it the consideration it deserves.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    Next weekend I'm going to detail my car to a 'smooth as glass' finish to reduce drag.
    I doubt this one is going to help more than theoretically, but it looks cool!

Charles, I've noticed that a lot of Americans roll their eyes at the mere mention of global warming. Since they don't see the effects right now, right in front of their faces, they don't believe that it's true and therefore don't need to worry about it. Fortunately, not all of us think that way.

Ahead of the crowd

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I doubt this one is going to help more than theoretically, but it looks cool!

Charles, I've noticed that a lot of Americans roll their eyes at the mere mention of global warming. Since they don't see the effects right now, right in front of their faces, they don't believe that it's true and therefore don't need to worry about it. Fortunately, not all of us think that way.
    Thinking about what I wrote - everybody in France is aware of global warming and is convinced it is a reality. We just had an amazingly warm month of April. The leaves came out on the trees a month early (I keep a calendar of events to photograph).

However I don't think that people have actually realised that they can do something about it by changing their behavior. If the cruising speeds on freeways has dropped from 95mph to a more legal 85mph it's because of the radar speed traps. And long weekend trips to other European capitals (by plane) are becoming more frequent.

I don't know anybody else who has actually changed behavoir to reduce CO2 emissions. That's why it was funny to read the original post - I saw the same concerns but for different reasons.

Charles

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Since they don't see the effects right now, right in front of their faces, they don't believe that it's true and therefore don't need to worry about it.
    It seems to me people are noticing the changes, but just aren't inconvenienced enough yet to stop driving alone in full size SUV's to work.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    It seems to me people are noticing the changes, but just aren't inconvenienced enough yet to stop driving alone in full size SUV's to work.
    I agree! Global warming is on my mind, and I am trying to take some small steps to reduce my CO2 footprint. I just bought a midsize SUV, and one of my main concerns when making my purchase was fuel consumption. Not just because of the price of gas, but also because of global warming, and the CO2 output. Yes, I could have bought a much smaller, much more efficient car, but there was nothing like that on the market that I liked. The new SUV is easier on fuel than my old pick up.

When I mentioned riding my motorcycle and/or my bicycle to work more, it is both to save money on gas, as well as to reduce my CO2 output.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Ghost

I'm so sick of big SUV's

Canon

I don't have a car I have a vespa-esque motor scooter that gets 85mpg. I'm also a professional cyclist so I ride almost everywhere.

I am amazed at how many people here in the US still think global warming is a farce. I've spent significant time racing in europe, and the attitude seems to be completely different. Every time I cross the pond I realize how stupid and close-minded so many Americans are.

Let me preface by saying I do believe global warming is an issues.

HOWEVER....

If I didn't, Al Gore's movie wouldn't be enough to convince me that it was. First off, it's a movie. Second, from what I've experienced, the majority of the people who think it's a made up problem seem to be more conservative and tend to follow the conservative view on political/enviromental issues.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    from what I've experienced, the majority of the people who think it's a made up problem seem to be more conservative and tend to follow the conservative view on political/enviromental issues.
    Same, IME, as we drift towards the waters of the "Off Topic" forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ash
    I'm so sick of big SUV's

Why do you hate SUV's?

I drive a truck but I use it. I haul fire wood, building material, 4wheelers, bikes, trailers, mowers and all sorts of stuff. It is a 4x4 F150 4.6 V8 1999. I can't do that in a subcompact car. My wife drives a Chevy S10 4cyl. I am going to Maine this summer it is about a 1000 mile drive. I am going to rent a small car for my wife and two kids.It is cheaper for me to rent a car than drive my truck. Now I have to smell feet and a%s for a 1000 miles. Mean while we have all that off shore oils and oil in Alaska that all the enviromental freaks don't want us to get. It has been said that there is enough oil in Alaska to last us until Oil is no longer needed but yet we have to pay out the butt to for forigen oil. The temps in the city are 5 to 10 deg higher than out here in the country. Why, it is because of all the new solar pannels that keep poping up (new roads).I know it sounds stupid but we need to change the color of our asphault to reflect light not absorb it. That is also a problem. Also have you seen the prices of these Hybrid cars, I can't afford one, can you? All of this global warming needs addressed, by people like us, the factory, auto, mechanic, police and fire workers. Not rich people that can afford endless batteries for the hybrid cars. President bush is more enviromentaly friendly than Al Gore. There was a report published a short time ago about Al Gore and how much energy he uses and how and where he gets it. I wish I had a copy of it.

It is easy for Al Gore to talk the talk but can he walk the walk, I say no. it is more or less up to us and our childern to help stop this problem. Al Gore is a fake.

Cleaner fuel and personal choices are the answer. I hope I didn't offend anyone but thats my 2 cents.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Tomarrow night there is going to be a program on CNN Head Line news about gobal warming. It is supose to debunk Al Gore and the golbal warming people. 7pm to 9pm EST.
    I guess in 1970 there was a Global Cooling trend?

How can I be lost

Quick, someone talk about a camera so we can keep this in the Viewfinder
    Walter Rick Long

Actually, as I think about it, no one is in debate over whether the earth is getting hotter.
    The debate lies over whether or not carbon dioxide is contributing to it.

Okay, I guess this is headed for the OT forum afterall. Darn it.

- kicks rock and sulks off into corner -
    Walter Rick Long

I love how as soon as someone mentions global warming, everyone jumps all over SUV owners.

How come if I drive my SUV 100 miles a week, I'm more to blame than the guy with the little car who drives 500 miles a week.

Yeah, they could be more efficient. But if I plan my trips accordingly and run all my errands at once instead of 10 different trips out, and we carpool, try not to drive more than necessary, how come we'd be blasted before the guy who enjoys filling up the tank on his sporty little car every day.

It's not always the SUV owners.

I love my truck and my SUV because I can carry my photo gear in it, but it looks like that isn't enough to keep this in VF.

I'm riding my Trek to work tomorrow.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Well, the price of unleaded hit $2.98/gal this afternoon, so I'm expecting 3+/gal by tomorrow afternoon. I've stopped filling my tank. I'll only put in a few gallons at a time now.

Not to defend Al Gore because I really don't care for him much. But I remember way back in the 80's before he was running for office with Bill watching a TV broadcast of some speech in Tennesse he was giving. In that speech he mentioned the World Wide Web. He never said the word "internet". I remember thinking "What in the World is he talking about" and thinking that I would never see the day that it would happen. I think at the time I had a Commodor 64. Remember them? He for sure didn't invent the internet, but I just think he saw it coming and maybe supported the ones behind it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

We topped $3.01 last weekend by next weekend some places will be pushing $3.10... let's have a contest to see who has the most expensive gas
    Walter Rick Long

Al G:nono: ore

:mad2: Al Gore

:Yawn: Al Gore

Al gore :mad2: :mad2:

Al gore :devil:

Al Gore :incazzato:

How can I be lost

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    We topped $3.01 last weekend by next weekend some places will be pushing $3.10... let's have a contest to see who has the most expensive gas

$2.93 I lose.....
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I don't reckon you've got much to complain about yet...
    I'm with you, mate! I still think we have the cheapest gas prices in the world. Just about, anyway.

And the idea is to get folks to drive less and less. If gas gets cheaper, ain't no way (NY expression) anyone's gonna do that.

BTW Paul, I haven't been reading much of the forums lately. How did your trip to the states go???
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

$3.07 in my home town. I filled up afterwork yesterday for $2.99. I had just under 3/4 of a tank, but topped it off because I knew the increase was coming. Funny how 5 miles down the road it was 8 cents more expensive.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

HA!

$3.15

take that.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Yesterday passing a chevron it was $3.51

grumble grumble
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4