PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The pope died

The pope died

Don't have any more info, but we knew he was going...
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Re: The pope died

Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    I am not Catholic, but as a Christian I have to say that I have really felt a sence of loss with the passing of John Paul II. He was a great man, and a pillar for his faith.

God rest his soul.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quite sad. Even if you have no relgious attraction, you still have to respect this guy for everything he's done. He truly brought good things into places of the world that had never expererienced such things. He fought against communism, he fought against third world exploitation. Nothing but good from this man. I respect him and hope that everything he found good in life will follow him into the afterlife, whether it be heaven or whatever you believe in. God bless him.

Died one hour ago

I'm not a Catholic either, but I've certainly been following what was going on. Italian TV has been full of news on the Pope for the past month. He was a great man and a great Pope. He achieved great things and now he has gone in peace.

Hmm. I hope I'm going to be able to get a flight back to Rome next weekend..

Charles

Re: Died one hour ago

A sad day, but the dawning of a new time in the Catholic religion as well. Even though he has been around for half my lifetime as the Pope, I think his time had come to an end anyway, he really was doing anything probably for the past 3 months and others were running things in the background as you would expect.

I'm Catholic so don't get on a bandwagon about that statement, have been an Altar Boy served mass everyday 3 times on Sundays, and that was for most of my school years as well.

4 Popes now, so wonder if the next will see me out.

I just hope the next one is more in tune with todays world and makes decisions that better reflect the times we live in now. Parts of the church unfortunately still live in the dark ages of time and need to move to the light and see what todays world is really like and make decisions based on todays thinking.

Lets hope that when they meet in 15 days to elect a new Pope it is quick and enlightened.

Good Luck Charles getting back to Rome, that will be around the time of the Popes Funeral, so might want to get in there with your bookings. The Funeral is usually 3 - 4 days after the death of the Pope so people will start their travels from now until after the Conclave in 15 days time. Remember these significant events attract a lot of attention and people at these times due to the rarity of them happening.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I'm a lapsed Protestant, but I was following it all day. The whole Pope thing is rather curious to me, having grown up in the Protestant church, but he always had so much personality, and while I don't always agree with his views, admire him for sticking to them and bravely standing up for what he believes in a rapidly changing world. I never got to see him, but I went to Central Park and wandered around when he was there a decade or so ago. It was neat to wander around the park and hear his amplified voice wafting above the trees. Certainly a life to celebrate, a life well and richly lived.

Megan

Liz

I was blessed to meet John Paul II

I went to Rome in 1994 with six friends. We were blessed to have the privilege of attending the Holy Father's private Mass in his small Chapel and audience to follow. I presented him with the mission statement for the work I was endeavoring to begin. I wanted to ask for his blessing, but was a little afraid, since he obviously didn't know me.

When he spoke to each of our group of six and gave us a rosary, he came back to me and said "God bless your apostolate." I have some beautiful photos of the moment I handed him the mission statement. It is the highlight of my life and work.

There are no cameras allowed in the private Chapel, but the Vatican photographer takes many photos of each person during these visits. A couple of hours later the photographer came to where we were staying with an 8x10 photo for each of us and an invitation to come to the Vatican Newspaper where he worked to choose more at a very reasonable price. We found quite a few personal photos of us and the Pope, both group and individual images.

It was such a beautiful day.

As are many people, today I'm grieving his loss, and at the same time, very joyful because of all people, I believe he is with the Lord. He is a pillar of the Church and a great humanitarian who accomplished much in this world.

Liz

It made me very sad. One of the few wonderful Polish role-models I looked up to as a child. A great man all-around, regardless of religion.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Interesting news that they are looking at fast tracking him to Sainthood. Warranted most probably, but you would think that sort of thing would be not talked about until after a suitable time of mourning wouldn't you.

Liz,

That would have been a wonderful moment. Unfortunately I have only ever had the pleasure of meeting and serving Cardinals here in Sydney, although not serving for a long time now. There is a certain air about these men in high positions and the respect that they seem to enjoy unreservadly from people no matter who they are or the faith they follow.

It was a great sign of respect that he took the time to recongnise you for the work you were presenting to him and show that in his own way, he was just a man, an ordinary man to his congrigation, even though he was at the head of it. Something that I think some others who attain these levels could take as an example of how to represent themselves.

Interesting how fast they got him out to the people for their respectful viewing, and it is great they are giving people a reasonable amount of time to show it. Great too, that they are going to stick with tradition and bury him in St Peter's Crypts as well, another show of respect for the position that he held. I think it would have been a great shame not to bury him in a house that he has lived in and represented for so long, although can understand the thinking of him being buried in his homeland as well.

Now the next part of the process will be the most interesting to watch as it unfolds. I just hope they make the right decision.

Did anyone see the funeral?!

What a spectacle. So many people. What a great tribute to him. Wonderful speaches and a great memoir to him.

God Bless Him,

Jared

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: I was blessed to meet John Paul II

Liz, that story plain ROCKS!!!!!!

My two questions to ANYONE are....

HOW DID HE GET THE NAME JOHN PAUL II ? His name was Karol Joseph Wojtyla and he was elected pope in 1978.

AND

Is this not the coolest image of him ;) He has sneakers on too...

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/sp..._ii_xxv_en.htm
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Paul,

Because the Pope Before him (Pope John Paul I) had died so quickly, only 21 days in office before he died, he elected to continue with the Name. When a Cardinal is Elected to the position, they can then elect to use any name as pope they want. Pius is popular as a name, so is John and Paul, after the Apostles.

Will be interesting to see who the next Pope is and what name he takes on in his official duties.

This will be the 6 Pope for me in my life time.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: The pope died - The New Pope

Funny how a Presbyterian (Protestent) is posting this....

The new pope has been chosen. Cardinal Ratzinger, will be going under the name Pope Benidict XVI. He's a hardline conservitive (excellent, with me being a conservitive as well).

The full story here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7523254/?GT1=6428
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Liz

Thanks for sharing this here. I was in the car listening to CBS 24/7 news station and heard the announcement about the white smoke and bells. Then the BIG announcement of it being Cardinal Ratzinger. I was home to see (and receive) the his first blessing.

I feel very good about this choice. I believe the Cardinals were led by the Holy Spirit as they intended to do. Pope Benedict XVI was the closest one to the Pope with the exception of his long time secretary.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Axle
    Funny how a Presbyterian (Protestent) is posting this....

The new pope has been chosen. Cardinal Ratzinger, will be going under the name Pope Benidict XVI. He's a hardline conservitive (excellent, with me being a conservitive as well).

The full story here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7523254/?GT1=6428

Liz,

Sorry to say it, but just a continuation of the reign of Pope John Paul II. I would have like to see someone that moves to a more realistic today reign, moving with the times and thinking of the world at large, not staying back in the days of the past.

I know you won't agree with me on that one, but this is the 6 Pope for me, and would think it would be a similar figure for you as well, in our life times.

I think, until there is some dramatic change from the strong conservative mainstream line there has been for the past 50 years or so, and the move into the 21st Century, things in the Catholic church won't change and the decline will continue.

I'm not saying dramatic changes, but there needs to be constructive thinking on the ideas of contraception, birth control etc, to combat the growing poor depressed population explosions that are continuing in underdeveloped contries and the growing rate of communicable diseases that are occuring in the same areas of the world as well.

Sexual preferences aside, which are always going to be a heady discussion area, disease, famine, the poor are the areas that the church is most active in, in my opinion, on the world stage today. You can see that by the amount of distribution of flock, compared to developed contries around the world.

It was interesting that it took very little time for them to make a decision, which leads me to believe that their was a stop gap thinking in place as Cardinal Ratzinger's age is not a young one and he had already contemplated retireing 2 times before but stayed on at the previous Pope's behest to do so. He seems in good health as well, but at 78, it probably will be a conservative reign as Pope as well, which should be a good thing, as Cardinals retire (and by the look of the group there, it shouldn't be long for a few of them), and new younger (hopefully) Cardinals are moving up as time goes by.

Interesting the name choice, Benedict, founder of the Good Samaritans, so reading into that, maybe there might be some changes happening for the good as well.

I would like to see the decedance of the Vatican, move from there, back to the rank and file of the little churches and maybe the decline in catholic numbers within the clergy might start to improve in a positive way instead of priests etc, having to look after 2 parishes where there used to be 3 priests to do the work that 1 is asked to do now.

Just my thoughts as a Catholic.

Isn't this guy older already? I heard 78. I thought they were aiming for a younger/"hipper" pope for the modern Catholics. With him as the Pope now, I don't think you could be expecting more then 10-15 years.

Seems a tad odd doesn't it? How old was John Paul II when he started?

Liz

Re: The New Pope

Peter,

With all due respect, I would like to respond to a few of your comments. Then I will "cease and desist" because I don't want to get into a religious war. ;)

just a continuation of the reign of Pope John Paul II

I think Pope John Paul's funeral speaks for what the world thinks of his "reign."

It was interesting that it took very little time for them to make a decision

I saw this as the Cardinals being in unity and responding to the Holy Spirit.

I would like to see the decedance of the Vatican, move from there, back to the rank and file of the little churches

This won't happen. I believe this was a part of the thinking that led to the protestant reformation. My comments are not meant as a negative or an offense to Protestant religions or Churches, but just a fact of history. People who choose other religions or Churches because they do not believe in the teachings of the Catholic Church or it's hierarchy, have every right to choose another Church which suits their desires.

Just my thoughts as a Catholic

Peter, with all due respect, the teachings of the Catholic Church are all part and parcel of being a Catholic. Most people/converts join the Church because they are drawn to the teachings of the Church. This is the Catholic Church.

These are my thoughts as a Catholic.

Liz

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

That's a great story Liz.
    Thanks for sharring it here.
    I can't begin to express how much I mean that.
    Brian
    WOW...
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Liz,

Wasn't looking for a Religious War at all and I think you know that.

Just so you know, I was born a Catholic, been a Catholic and will Die a Catholic as I think will my children and wife as well. I was introduced to Catholocism by my parents as I think a lot of Catholics were and knew no other way at all, other than there were other religions. I believe this to be the case with a majority of Catholics and that I think is the thing I find the most frustrating with Catholic Teachings and old ideas. I went to a Catholic School, served mass from the Cardinal of Sydney down to the most junior of Priests, day in day out and three times on Sunday, for most of my young adolescent life, until I left school and enter the world as a young Adult.

My mother was bought up by the Good Shepard Nuns in Sydney until she was a young adult and left to get married shortly after the war finished, hence my involvement in serving as an Altar Boy.

I have know many Nuns, Priests of all levels, Christian Brothers etc and have found many and varied thoughts amongst them. I have seen many move from their vocations and enter the other side as lay people, getting married and moving on, often away from the vocations that they dearly loved, but were unable to continue in, because of the nature of the rules of the faith. This I think is the sad side of what I was refering to. Also many have expressed in their own ways similar thinking and ideas that I said above.

But as I said that they were and are my thoughts as I think a Catholic trying to cope in this modern era of time, which is so short.

I know I couldn't face the sort of life style that you have, and many others have, as I just haven't that in my makeup to do that, but did try to assist by doing Nursing which I think is the best profession in the world, although the most underpaid and also the unkindness to those that are nurses when they get sick themselves. A bit like you cope with it yourself and we don't want to know about it, as we have others to look after if that makes sense.

Again not trying to get into anything here at all, as I respect the views/ideas/feelings of others very well and will always do that.

It is interesting to me what others think around the world, and I have been watching the news reports since early this morning our time seeing and hearing the feelings expressed by others around the world, which have reflected some of the comments I have made.

Take care and as always I hope you remain safe and well.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I agree with both of you, I coming from a protestant background (please don't burn me at the stake for hericy! oh, wait, the reformation is over... ) think that the church needs to adapt and fall in line with what the world is doing today, but without compramising the beliefs on which it was built, and laid out in the Bible. This is where a Conserivitive comes into play, someone who will bring the church (any church, Roman Catholic, Reformed, Presbyertian, United, Methodist, Lutheren....you get the picture) into the 21st century and beyond.

But then again according to the Malachy Prophecies this is the second to last pope. And he will lead the church through the first part of the Tribulation (end times) only to be replaced by Pope Peter the Roman, and he will be the anti-christ/satan or the mouth piece of the anti-christ. So far these prophecies are correct, but I will leave the future to God, and trust in his plan for the world and myself.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Liz

Peter,

Thank you for your kind response. I respect you and appreciate your honesty. I also appreciate the fact that you shared your own personal "Catholic" history. You're a good comrade here on PR! Thanks for sharing so personally.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Liz,

Wasn't looking for a Religious War at all and I think you know that.

Just so you know, I was born a Catholic, been a Catholic and will Die a Catholic as I think will my children and wife as well. I was introduced to Catholocism by my parents as I think a lot of Catholics were and knew no other way at all, other than there were other religions. I believe this to be the case with a majority of Catholics and that I think is the thing I find the most frustrating with Catholic Teachings and old ideas. I went to a Catholic School, served mass from the Cardinal of Sydney down to the most junior of Priests, day in day out and three times on Sunday, for most of my young adolescent life, until I left school and enter the world as a young Adult.

My mother was bought up by the Good Shepard Nuns in Sydney until she was a young adult and left to get married shortly after the war finished, hence my involvement in serving as an Altar Boy.

I have know many Nuns, Priests of all levels, Christian Brothers etc and have found many and varied thoughts amongst them. I have seen many move from their vocations and enter the other side as lay people, getting married and moving on, often away from the vocations that they dearly loved, but were unable to continue in, because of the nature of the rules of the faith. This I think is the sad side of what I was refering to. Also many have expressed in their own ways similar thinking and ideas that I said above.

But as I said that they were and are my thoughts as I think a Catholic trying to cope in this modern era of time, which is so short.

I know I couldn't face the sort of life style that you have, and many others have, as I just haven't that in my makeup to do that, but did try to assist by doing Nursing which I think is the best profession in the world, although the most underpaid and also the unkindness to those that are nurses when they get sick themselves. A bit like you cope with it yourself and we don't want to know about it, as we have others to look after if that makes sense.

Again not trying to get into anything here at all, as I respect the views/ideas/feelings of others very well and will always do that.

It is interesting to me what others think around the world, and I have been watching the news reports since early this morning our time seeing and hearing the feelings expressed by others around the world, which have reflected some of the comments I have made.

Take care and as always I hope you remain safe and well.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

And now he has an email address as well. Imagine that email server and the stress it is going to get from the 1.1 bil Catholics around the world sending him emails. Haven't seen what the address is yet, but can only imagine it will fit the bill.

Walterick, that was an interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    And now he has an email address as well. Imagine that email server and the stress it is going to get from the 1.1 bil Catholics around the world sending him emails. Haven't seen what the address is yet, but can only imagine it will fit the bill.

Walterick, that was an interesting read.
    Is this a kind of 'gimmick' or will he actually read them?

Not some kind of gimmick it is real. He is trying to be more accessable to the world is my take on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information