PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Pet Peeves

I've thought about posting this topic for a while, mostly just so I can vent sometimes.

I've got quite a few but will only post one or two at a time as they come to mind.

What are your pet peeves?

One of my big ones is people that can't put their shopping carts away, leaving them in parking spots or on sidewalks.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Re: Pet Peeves

Only one at a time? But I have a million of them.

Those who park in front of the door because they're "just running in for a second" rather than parking in the lot 50 feet away.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Well, you Gents have gotten two of mine already.
    Old Clicker, I've mentioned to some buddies that we should get us a couple of old beat up pick ups and when we spot one of those "quickie" on the yellow curb by the front door, we would each pull within 6 inches front and back, then go for a stroll.

Another of mine is those using the cell phone so they do not signal for a turn and makes others wait to see what route they take.:mad2::mad2:

Ain't life GRAND!! (not a question)
    Plant a tree, help it grow. Children need something to climb.
    Critique any picture; any where; any time.

One of my biggest is whistling! It makes my skin crawl to listen to someone whistle.

Another biggy is people who play traffic cop. Stopping traffic while they decided to direct it from their vehicle.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

GB1

Ha ha ... This thread has the dangerous potential of expanding into one of those million+ posts threads

Let's see .... one of my pets is more of a sad observation than a peeve .. some people have absolutely no awareness / cannot multi-task for beans. Walking down an isle in Home Depot and past someone who is looking at some item on a shelf, and crash! ... they decide to step backwards and didn't hear/think that someone was walking by them. OHHHH!!!

I guess I always wonder how people who 'tune out' everything when even doing a simple task survive in the world. But maybe they're the geniuses?
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Liz

Hmmmm.....one of my more recent pet peeves is when there are "lots" of people pre-occupied with talking or texting on their cell phones in a crowded store - and not looking where they are going. Everyone has to step around them. I was in WholeFoods last Saturday. It was like walking with your big grocery cart through a maze filled with moving obstacles. No more Saturday shopping at WholeFoods for me! :idea:

Liz

Liz

Ha! Can't forget this one.....

Telemarketers.......especially the ones who keep talking when you're trying to tell them "no thanks!" :cryin:

Liz

I hate people that wander into your camp drunk at night and mess with your motorcycle.

Jeta wouldn't want to be around me when I'm in a good mood. Been whistling since I was 3.

Another of mine is coat hangers, especially the wire ones. I know that if I'm really careful they won't be a problem but I get impatient with them and they always get tangled and then I get more impatient and then they tangle worse and on it goes.
    Keep Shooting!

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Students coming up to me the last week of the semester saying something like "I know I am failing but what can I do to get at least a C"?

Easy answer though: "Absolutely nuttin'"
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    Students coming up to me the last week of the semester saying something like "I know I am failing but what can I do to get at least a C"?

Easy answer though: "Absolutely nuttin'"
    Are the gals hot? You ever see the "Eiger Sanction?"

you could always say "Ace the final to boost your overall score above 70" or whatever the curve score is. Unless they're running a 17 overall by the end of the semester ..

My Site

Wrestling for directions. Especially, when someone dials a phone number and just hands it to you to talk to that person about directions.
    Marco Arreguin

All critique/advice welcome.
    Growing every day.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Ha! Can't forget this one.....

Telemarketers.......especially the ones who keep talking when you're trying to tell them "no thanks!" :cryin:

Liz
    I don't even answer my home phone anymore.

Some fellow here at work told me that he was a PT telemarketer while in the Air Force and said that he was told by the managers to continue talking until he heard no three times.

So you just say "No, no and no" and they'll stop

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    I don't even answer my home phone anymore.

Some fellow here at work told me that he was a PT telemarketer while in the Air Force and said that he was told by the managers to continue talking until he heard no three times.

So you just say "No, no and no" and they'll stop

Another thing- I have heard Telemarketers are able to call you back until you ask them to take you off their list. maybe a "no, no and no... please, take me off your list" lol
    Marco Arreguin

All critique/advice welcome.
    Growing every day.

Been on the do not call list since it started and it works very well for the most part and when one slips through I ask them for all the id of company involved that I can get and let them know that they are being reported for ignoring the 'do not call' list. Usually stops that one at least.
    Keep Shooting!

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    you could always say "Ace the final to boost your overall score above 70" or whatever the curve score is.
    Curve the grades! Yikes, another pet peeve!

The vast majority have no idea what curving grades actually means. You take a normal curve with a mean of 75% and make the grades fit. That lowers the grades as well as raises them. In fact, three out of four of my classes would see the grades go down with a curve. Yet it's always the low-score students who believe that "curving" grades will magically raise theirs!

And yes, one student rarely bothered to show up and has a course grade of 14%.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

People trying to talk to me while I am on the phone is a biggy. Can't stand it. Or if I am in a car and on the phone the passenger makes a call too.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    Curve the grades! Yikes, another pet peeve!

The vast majority have no idea what curving grades actually means. You take a normal curve with a mean of 75% and make the grades fit. That lowers the grades as well as raises them. In fact, three out of four of my classes would see the grades go down with a curve. Yet it's always the low-score students who believe that "curving" grades will magically raise theirs!

And yes, one student rarely bothered to show up and has a course grade of 14%.
    Depends on how flat your bell curve is. If you stick with the 90-100 is an A ... down to 60-69 is a D and below 60 is an F, that's sticking with one, unbending equation. A flatter curve could save someone's ***... but then one could discuss the fairness of curves, where you're really competing against your classmates. One fellow told me that his teacher curved up and his 82 got him a C.

My Site

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Leaving trash somewhere. Especially when there's a trash receptacle not but 5 feet away.

Magical inability to differentiate a soda can (and other recyclables) from a used diaper (and other non-recyclables).. Somehow the diaper made it into the recycle bin, and the soda can into the trash..

Trash in shopping carts. That's NOT what shopping carts are for, and it's a horrible thing to do to the person that has to collect them.

I'm with you on all of yours, Canuck.
    Keep Shooting!

People who walk around stores talking loudly using a bluetooth. Back before bluetooth I could actually tell who the crazy people talking to themselves were.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

I have been called old-fashioned more than once, and I suppose the PC police would throw me in lock-up, but it aggravates me to no end when guys don't show simple respect for women...holding doors, allowing them the their seat on the bus, assisting them with a heavy load, etc. Seems to me that condoning a lack of respect in small things, leads to lacking respect in bigger things.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I have a pet that peeves me. Our black lab Holley is constantly under my feet. You would think that after being stepped on, and accidently kicked hundreds of times she would learn to get out of the way. I love her to death and wouldn't trade her for anything but she makes me crazy sometimes.

A photography pet peeve is when people will see me trying to take a photo yet still feel the need to walk in front of me.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

People that stay in left or center lanes on freeway until its time to exit and cutting across two, three, or more lanes to do so.
    I know where my exits are and get over at least a mile ahead of time.
    Keep Shooting!

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

- Not cleaning up your mess while in nature. AKA You pack it in, you pack it out
    - People not paying attention while driving
    - People asking for advice, don't take it, then complain what they were doing didn't work and they need advice on how to make it work.

- One of my biggest is the lack of respect among a lot of the younger kids towards each other/older people.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast