PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

A Pain In The back

Perhaps I spend too much time sitting down, over the last few weeks I have been getting aches in my lower back and they seem to be getting worse.. With my new job and the amount of photo stuff I do online I know this is down to the length of time I spend in front of the screen. I admit I do not take the breaks that I should.
    Does anyone have knowledge of these "posture" chairs, kneeling or otherwise that would have the support necessary for someone that wastes so much time. I have read a lot of reviews but would prefer to have first hand information.
    Hope you can help and sorry to be a pain
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: A Pain In The back

Kneeling chairs, balans, whatever - how good are your knees?
    I could never use them because I couldn't walk afterwards - my knees were knackered.

Desk and chair height is important.
    Are your feet flat on the floor?
    My legs are so short that I have to use a footrest when the chair is at the right height.
    Check that the desk is about the height of your elbows, if it's higher you're likely to get shoulder pain. If it's lower, you may lean forward towards the keyboard/monitor.
    Check the monitor height, adjust it so the centre of the screen is straight ahead.
    Or if you're always working in the lower half, raise the screen a bit to stop you hunching forward.

Check your glasses prescription too.
    I found I was hunching forward because my prescription was out of date (like 10 years ago!) and new glasses made me much more comfortable, I could also read the speedo in the car more clearly too.

You may not need a posture chair if you can get the right posture yourself.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Honestly, I don't like the ergonomic chairs. I don't find them comfortable, though a couple of my coworkers do. A couple things I would recommend: 1. don't keep your wallet in your back pocket. Makes you sit ever so cockeyed. 2. the second you feel like you're getting stiff, get up and stretch. 3. I switch up folding one leg underneath me. If you can find ways to keep switching up your sitting position, even if slightly, it will reduce your fatigue.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

We have one guy at work who's been working standing all day, with everything up on boxes on his desk.
    He has real spinal problems, after surgery a few years ago fixed it, the spine needs more work and he's looking at major surgery. Either it works and he can walk, sit, and drive again without pain - or he's in a wheelchair, there seems little in between.

So Tom, don't rule out a real problem that needs investigation.
    PAul

Wombat and Aaron
    Thanks for what is really good and helpful advice. I have had the tape measure out and checking everything that you mentioned Paul. I've been doing shorter sessions and doing some stretching as Aaron recommended. I'll monitor the situation carefully now,
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Oh yeah, don't forget to blink.
    No, really. It makes a difference.
    If you're concentrating really hard it's possible to stare at the screen.
    If you feel headaches and dry eyes, think blink !
    PAul

I've got major back problems too. Both my chiro and phys therapist recommended sitting on one of those large exercise balls. Make sure it's of a hieght that your legs are bent at 90 degs. You can also do pelvic motions, front/back sideways, for mobility and muscle control. It helped me a lot until the ball burst. I gotta get another one. No I wasn't sitting on it at the time, it was outside in the pool and it blew out and one of the dogs got it.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Not what you asked, but one thing that would help is to stregnthen your core.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cor...LINK=1&slide=1
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...?articleid=486
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

GB1

I used to get lower back pain quite often. It came and went but this went on for years and years. I finally found a good way to keep it at bay: abs exercises. I do sit ups and crunches, and for whatever reason that almost made the pain disappear. Try it, see if it helps

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information