PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Liz

Need Help with gmail situation - Anyone?

I use gmail and getting help is almost impossible, so thought I'd ask here. Today I received a (group) email from people that I know regarding a concert cancellation and the date. Inside the email was a link that was something like "cancelled. ics" (without the space or ditto). I do not do networking - and the options for networking/sharing are all set to "off."

I opened the link and the box appeared where I had to "approve" the link to be opened which I did because I recognized the names on the list. It went directly to my google calendar. I thought this was rather strange. I know the google calendar is attached to my gmail account, but why would a link from someone who doesn't know I have a google calendar take me directly to my calendar - and the date that the concert is cancelled?

Before I panic and think someone has "hacked" into my computer, would someone tell me if there is a reasonable and/or rational reason for this?

Thanks for any help!

Liz

Re: Need Help with gmail situation - Anyone?

Liz, the ics attachment is simply a calendar appointment. Using calandars on Outlook, Google, and smartphones is becoming so commonplace, that I suspect the sender assumed most recipients would find it helpful. Not that a virus couldn't be set into that kind of attachment, but my guess is it was probably an innocent file.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Nobody hacked your computer.
    .ics files are a standard for sharing calendar information. Gmail recognized it as such and opened it in the calendar associated with your email account.

several common mail and calendar applications recognize the ics format http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICalendar

and the person who sent the cancellation information would have used one of those products to send the cancellation.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Liz

Ken and Skyman............

Thank you! I really appreciate your replies.

If you haven't already figured it out, I'm somewhat "technically challenged" when it comes to some aspects of the internet and/or computer. I did google ICS, but what I read only included the networking part of communication, so I assumed you had to be connected to a network to have this happen.

In the meantime, I emailed a friend who was included in the group mailing - and that person did not get the email. She also said the concert has not been cancelled.

So, the mystery isn't 100% solved, but at least I know it isn't a hack. :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

Liz

webspacehost.com real effortless provider of

has any one here considered
    web host

Cocofax has been my favorite mailing/faxing tool since I have started the business and send free fax online by using from CocoFax homepage and it easier for me. Cocofax provides you the best services that you require. It keeps your data safe.

Cocofax is already a wonderful mailing/faxing service and get know can you fax from gmail and for this users can click here to go on CocoFax official page to enjoy it's many best features. Thank you!

I think that you need to read this article about google drive encryption if you feel that your data can be lost. I know the pain of losing important data, and I don't want it to happen to anyone else.

Hello, computerized Designing advertising will get you out a great deal with the advancement of your business and is significant. Another significant part is getting a strategy made. You can get one effectively made by visiting yoga studio business plan site. I truly preferred this site a great deal and I am certain they will be extremely useful for your business.

Thread Information