PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Mourning after the loss of a dear friend...

I last spoke with my friend on April 14th 2007 and we had a great conversation. We spoke for about 1 hour 30 mins. Everything seemed to be A-OK. My friend was a real healthy eater and was always jogging and going to the gym. It wasn't til 3 days ago when I tried to call him and I noticed that his voice mail had changed to the standard computer default message. I left a message and had a funny feeling. The next day I called back and got the voice mail again. My heart began to sink as I was fearing the worst. I was going to google him but I was afraid of what I might find. Instead I wrote him a brief e-mail asking him to call me back and hoping everything was well. The yesterday came and I still heard no word and then realized he hadn't called me about the whole Virgina Tech thing. He has been living in Virgina for the last 4 yrs. I sat down in front of my computer and googled his name. My heart sank and I went numb when I saw the results. My dear friend and father figure was gone for good. He passed 7 days after I talked to him last and 2 days before the Virgina Tech killing. I am grateful that I listened to my gut feeling because his services are late tomorrow morning and it's only 40 miles from home here in California and it's even on my day off. There was something in my head that said google him. I am still in shock and I don't think this will set in until tomorrow. My wife and I spent the evening putting together a picture collection for his family to remember him. He played a part in my wife and I getting together.

Stephen Michael Patras 8/18/48 to 4/21/07

Re: Mourning after the loss of a dear friend...

Well my wife and I went to the services today and it was beautiful. I was over come by emotion when I saw that out of his 58 years of life his family had selected a photo that I took of him back in 2001 to put on display up front in the church I can see so many things wrong with the picture but none of it matters in the end. Below is the picture that was used by his family who I only just met today or yesterday now.

Dave

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

My condolences on the loss of your friend. I'm glad that your shot was able to help some of everyone's suffering and bring some light to the ceremony. By the end of today, I'll have been to three memorial services this week. We lost a colleague this week, along with the father and grandfather of a few of my students. So much grief in one week can be taxing.

My heart goes out to you and your friend's family.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thanks MJS. Sorry to hear about your week. That must've been tough.

I do feel much better after attending the services. I only found out 3 days before the services on a gut feeling and a google search. I am so glad that we were able to attend. In the short time that we had to prepare I still had 20hrs of work in less than 48hrs time before the services. We managed to put together 5 small photo books of him and us together plus his friends and family. We gave one to his brother, sister, daughter and to a very special lady friend of his who he had planned on seeing next month. The 5th one was for us to keep. It turns out that one of the photos of my buddy with his lady friend had been lost and she no longer had it. This meant a great deal to her so it was an awesome feeling giving her something back that I had no idea she had lost to began with. His family seen a lot of the pics either so they were very thankful.

Lesson learned. Never doubt yourself. When ever you think you know the answer to something weather it's good or bad be sure to trust it and don't second guess yourself. If I hadn't listend to myself I would've not be able to attend the services and had an impact on 4 people's lives. I can't explain how that makes me feel. I can only give thanks.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveLC2
    Lesson learned. Never doubt yourself. When ever you think you know the answer to something weather it's good or bad be sure to trust it and don't second guess yourself. If I hadn't listend to myself I would've not be able to attend the services and had an impact on 4 people's lives. I can't explain how that makes me feel. I can only give thanks.
    Great that you were able to be there with his family. My condolences, Dave.

Thread Information