PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Liz

Ipod - which docking station & charging question

My new Ipod Nano 4th generation was a Christmas present - to myself. I'm in the process of looking for a decent radio/alarm/Ipod docking station. I want a relatively small model (for the nightstand). I would like it to include an AM radio (many have FM - no AM), with good reception & decent sound, alarm with snooze feature and a remote.

I purchased a really nice Sony with all of the above for $99. However, the antenna wires need to be connected in the back. I connected them, but the reception is terrible and there are no tuning button/feature or any way to adjust the tuning for clarity. Depending on where you move the AM antenna, it either has lots of static or a loud buzz. The FM antenna is already connected to the radio and sounds ok - not the best, but no buzz or static. So it's being returned. My budget should stay about $100.

Leaving the Ipod on the Ipod Dock
    Someone mentioned to me that she doesn't leave her Ipod on the dock all the time as it isn't good to have it charging continuously. However, everyone else I know just leaves it there when not in use.

Is this true?

I know Verizon says it's not good to keep a cell on a charger as it wears out the battery much sooner, but I haven't heard anything about this with Ipods.

Thanks for any advice, input, info - whatever.

Liz

Re: Ipod - which docking station & charging question

My wife has an iHome that is very nice. Can be had for around 100.00. About the battery, it stops charging when it becomes fully charged, going into a trickle charge mode. The same goes for many modern cell phones.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Much battery advice dates from the days of Nickel Cadmium batteries, and is not applicable these days.
    In this case most modern batteries are Lithium Ion, which don't suffer from memory effect.
    So it shouldn't be a problem at all.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by zrfraser
    My wife has an iHome that is very nice. Can be had for around 100.00. About the battery, it stops charging when it becomes fully charged, going into a trickle charge mode. The same goes for many modern cell phones.
    Thanks - I'm presently looking at some IHome options.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Much battery advice dates from the days of Nickel Cadmium batteries, and is not applicable these days.
    In this case most modern batteries are Lithium Ion, which don't suffer from memory effect.
    So it shouldn't be a problem at all.
    Thanks Paul...........that's great news - about the Ipod AND the cell phone. At least my friend Judy will think so because I keep "nagging" her about not leaving her phone charging for long periods.

Liz

logitech has a good one and I think it is one of the few with AM and FM radios

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    logitech has a good one and I think it is one of the few with AM and FM radios
    Thanks - I'm glad to know more brand names as I'm not familiar with many of them. I'll check Logitech out.

Liz

I picked up the Bose one last night for the space. Will test it out today and let you know how it is...
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I picked up the Bose one last night for the space. Will test it out today and let you know how it is...
    "Sounds" good to me Adina - pun intended.

I love Bose! Not sure I can afford one, but I would love to check into it.

I have a Cambridge Soundworks Radio/CD player (reviews all state it's comparable to the Bose similar unit) and it is soooooooo awesome. However, no way to dock or plug in an Ipod.

Thanks.

Liz

Liz, I just bought one yesterday at Costco. They had about six different ihome docking stations.

This is the one I bought & it was $20 cheaper at Costco.
    http://www.ihomeaudio.com/products.a...9&dept_id=1006

I'm going to go back and buy two of these for our nightstands. This one was $20 cheaper as well.
    http://www.ihomeaudio.com/products.a...0&dept_id=1006
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

My wife has the same one as the first one JETA posted, excpet in black. It is very nice and the sound is actually pretty good.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Quote Originally Posted by zrfraser
    My wife has the same one as the first one JETA posted, excpet in black. It is very nice and the sound is actually pretty good.
    I have to say I was really impressed with the sound.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    Liz, I just bought one yesterday at Costco. They had about six different ihome docking stations.

This is the one I bought & it was $20 cheaper at Costco.
    http://www.ihomeaudio.com/products.a...9&dept_id=1006

I'm going to go back and buy two of these for our nightstands. This one was $20 cheaper as well.
    http://www.ihomeaudio.com/products.a...0&dept_id=1006
    Thanks Julie,

The first one is great - my friend Judy has this one. It really works well for her - actually it's perfect. However, for me, I would like something a bit smaller since it's for my nightstand.

I also checked out the 2nd one and was just about ready to put it in my cart (at Costco) when I realized it didn't have a radio which is important for me. I like a radio on the nightstand so I can check the weather in the morning before I get up, especially during these days of below zero temps. I also have to make sure the world hasn't come to a stop since I went to sleep.

I do have a really nice Cambridge Soundworks radio/CD combo in the living room. The sound is beautiful - perfect for classical music CD's etc. It's almost twice the size of the first IHome you linked above so it won't work on the nightstand. I would love to have one the size of the 2nd one above - it could be a bit larger.

Thanks for the info - and the links. Excellent choices - now I feel like Goldilocks. I need one "just right" - in the middle of the first two.

I'm going to check the others they have at Costco as you mentioned above. After Christmas our store was quite depleted of just about everything interesting! However, I noticed last week that they have begun restocking again. Actually their LCD TV prices dropped quite a bit. My friend got a 26" Vizio LCD TV there for $345 after Christmas. The resolution and color, reception is incredible. I read an article about Vizio TV's and the man who is manufacturing them. His goal is to put together LCD TV's with the best quality parts - like those of the most expensive ones - and sell them for a lower price so that most people can afford them. I have a 19" at home - and I love it. Even the sound on this small TV is excellent as is the overall quality. Costco seems to specialize in Vizio now - they might have been the first or one of the first to buy from the manufacturer. And they are selling like hotcakes. No, I don't work for Costco or Vizio - but I believe in sharing good news! :thumbsup:

Liz

Liz,

The 2nd one I posted is really nice and compact and does have a radio. The bigger one I bought yesterday we are going to use in the kitchen.

The reason I held off on the smaller one is that the radio is only FM and we like to listen to a AM station at night. DH told me yesterday our news radio is now switching to FM so I'll be purchasing matching ones for us.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    Liz,

The 2nd one I posted is really nice and compact and does have a radio. The bigger one I bought yesterday we are going to use in the kitchen.

The reason I held off on the smaller one is that the radio is only FM and we like to listen to a AM station at night. DH told me yesterday our news radio is now switching to FM so I'll be purchasing matching ones for us.
    OK - now I remember why I didn't buy it. I was thinking yesterday that it had no radio, but it's not having the AM station. I listen to a couple of AM stations for news. When I listen to FM, it's only for classical music when I'm around the house so I would use the radio in the living room.

Thanks!

Liz

Love the Bose. No radio, tho. And it's a bit bigger than some of these, and a little pricier. But I've got it in the studio, and fills the whole place with sound. So far, loving it.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Love the Bose. No radio, tho. And it's a bit bigger than some of these, and a little pricier. But I've got it in the studio, and fills the whole place with sound. So far, loving it.
    That's great Adina! Bose is about the best you can get in sound quality. I feel the same way about my Cambridge Soundwords - fills the room.

I think I've found the solution to my situation. I just purchased a small RCA AM/FM radio/alarm. It is really nice for the size - all I need in this category. Now I can concentrate on just getting an IPod dock with speakers. Should be easier now. Hopefully!

Liz

If you don't need the Radio then bose is definately the best at the moment, although lots of others produce great sound at a much more affordable price.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    If you don't need the Radio then bose is definately the best at the moment, although lots of others produce great sound at a much more affordable price.
    I agree. Unfortunately Bose is not in the budget at the moment. I did check it out though!

Liz

Thread Information