PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Smile Indiana Drivers Licenses

:thumbsup: Indiana is changing their drivers icenses to make it easier to tell who is underage and who isn't, and now they won't be so easy to counterfit as they will have info visible under a black light. The Underage licenses will be verticle instead of horizontal and have colored bands with the DOB and date they become "legal". The design makes it possible to verify the license with a cheap black light instead of expensive equipment used in some areas.And the hidden info makes it harder to falsify as it will be obvious under the black light if it's not the correct person as the card it's on.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Indiana Drivers Licenses

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    :thumbsup: Indiana is changing their drivers icenses to make it easier to tell who is underage and who isn't, and now they won't be so easy to counterfit as they will have info visible under a black light. The Underage licenses will be verticle instead of horizontal and have colored bands with the DOB and date they become "legal". The design makes it possible to verify the license with a cheap black light instead of expensive equipment used in some areas.And the hidden info makes it harder to falsify as it will be obvious under the black light if it's not the correct person as the card it's on.

JS
    It won't work. Colorado tried this sort of stuff in the past and it made no difference whasoever. False IDs are just too much in demand. Hey, even credit cards and those new RFID (or whatever) passports are easy to fake!
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

These will not be easy to falsify, they haveseveral items that will only be visible through black light, and any differences or alterations will be easy to see. It even includes a "hidden" photo that must match the photo on the card, as well as other info that has to match.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

the question is, how many bartenders/waiters/waitresses/store clerks will bother looking under a blacklight?

They shouldn't have to, since all underage drivers licenses will be verticle instead of horizontal that will automatically throw a flag for them. The date they become legal is visible, as well as hidden. They can look at it and instantly tell even without a black light. The black light will show if the license is altered....and all most all bars have black lights.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

well what I'm saying is that it won't make fake ID production really any harder for the most part. All they have to do is just change the orientation of it. The blacklight/hidden features would be very hard to fake, but it comes to a point where you have to consider whether the person inspecting the card will actually take the time to look for those things or whether they will see birthdate and orientation and be convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    well what I'm saying is that it won't make fake ID production really any harder for the most part. All they have to do is just change the orientation of it. The blacklight/hidden features would be very hard to fake, but it comes to a point where you have to consider whether the person inspecting the card will actually take the time to look for those things or whether they will see birthdate and orientation and be convinced.
    First off, here in Indiana it's check or get a huge fine, and possibly jail time. The state sends people out with kids to buy smokes, lottery tickets and booze. Anyone caught selling to them WILL get huge fines and possibly jail time. The owners also get fined. Because of that chain stores and so on are very cautious and always check ID's. Heck, they check mine when I use my credit card at a place I have been going to since it opened and I know every one there including the managers. At least they check though.
    And IF they don't check and do sell to someone underage and that person gets caught by the police and they find out who sold it that person will go to jail.
    In other words it will pay to take a couple seconds to check the ID, the penalties are too high not to here. One gas station chain has already said they will be buying small handheld black lights for each of it's registers as well as spares for each store.
    Having the verticle ID will automatically raise a flag and make the seller take a close look at the dates which are rather large so there won't be any mistakes.
    JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

well if sellers really care that much then I guess it will work. But unfortunately, you still will have those people that really don't care about anything at their job other than getting through the day that probably won't bother to check it. The american workforce is full of these people, I mean just look at the border checkpoint in the recent Speaker/TB ordeal. They had a flashing message to detain him and didn't, just let him right on through. In the most ideal situations the blacklight thing works great, but the fact is that there are too many inexperienced/lazy workers that are almost guaranteed to mess it up.

Thread Information