PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

How much would you get done if you didn't use the internet?

And by "use the internet" I mean read about three legged alien dogs and the latest Jolie-Pitt babies.

I work from home about 75% of the time. Used to be, I'd get sucked in and not get anything done. But I've since enforced a schedule (which, if you knew me, you'd know how hard this is, I'm not a schedule person) and I am getting loads of stuff done.

I sit down in the morning, make my list and my coffee, with 8:30am as a cut-off. Once it hits that time, I have to work, until lunch, usually. For some reason, the kids want to eat. I try to get another hour or so after lunch, then we do whatever errands we are going to do that day, and I'm done.

Holy moly, am I getting stuff done. Editing, albums, banking, phone calls, you name it. Up until around 1pm, I work, no playing. Granted, I do take a few minutes here and there to switch the laundry or refill my coffee, but in general, it's in the office, doing work type stuff.

Granted, I don't know as much about Britney's custody battles or Lindsey's love life, but I'm totally on top of what people are paying me for.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: How much would you get done if you didn't use the internet?

lol, I'd get more sleep, so nothing more would get done, I loose either way

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Um, don't ask my boss that question!!!

I'm pretty bad with it when I'm at home trying to work on my own stuff. I always start off my evening checking this site, reading any news and checking a couple other sites I frequent. Then I try to work on my photos or anything else I need to do on the computer. My ADD usually kicks in before too long and I'm back checking the forums, or the news. It usually gets too late to get much of my own work done so I go to bed, and start the whole process all over again the next day.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I only slack off on the net while at work when its reallllllly slow or I need a break.

I have bigger problems at home though. I love to listen to music while working/editing photos, but a song I really like comes on, and my body gives me no choice but to grab my guitar & start jamming along.

A couple songs & a half hour later I'm back to editing
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

The lawn would be mowed, the flowers weeded, the house dusted and vacuumed and I wouldn't have to wash a dish to eat my micro-wave dinner out of.
    This site takes up more of my time than any other, though, and I'm not complaining.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I allow myself a half-hour in the morning, a half-hour in the afternoon, and maybe- MAYBE 20 minutes or so before bed. And that's still more than I watch TV, so I guess I'm allowed.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

I'd probably be able to bench another 150 lbs and be able to run a lot longer than a kilometer before im winded!

A lot of my work is either really mind numbingly boring editing (you guys enjoy making slide shows but try doing it for a living, especially wading through thousands of other peoples low quality crappy photos and trying to wring meaning and impact out of it) or very creative or very intense but short lived. Obviously the intense stuff gets done. The rest well it really depends on my mood and I think that is as much a part of the creative process as anything. So I spend a lot of time on the net at work and much of it is work related but a lot of it isn't. when the work piles up or i get in the right mood I power along and get a lot done but the rest of the time i spend a few minutes online and a few minutes working. Today would be average, I spent the better part of the morning putting out fires (we got hit by the ups virus despite how many times i tell people don't open zip files) In the afternoon I was supposed to be editing a 20 minute slideshow that has about 6 photos from about 30 odd schools in it. I could use a slideshow program but I much prefer to have more control so I do it in adobe premier. setting keyframes and rendering several hundred photos with transitions etc gets very boring after about 20 minutes, so i spent the afternoon in approximately 20 minute chunks of work / web browsing. Yesterday I got a roll on mid afternoon and got half the thing completed, but i kept working until i had to go home and that isn't fun when you leave the office stupidly late, but I know that if I stop tomorrow is back to the grind. Alas I have another 2 major slideshows on the horizon, but one of them is fairly creative and I have some cool morphing software I want to try out!

Thread Information