PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Liz

Gas stations.....check your bank charges

I thought this was something people might be interested in. Yesterday I charged $20 worth of gas on my debit/credit card - and I have the receipt in front of me. Checking my account online this morning, I discovered LukeOil charged me $30. I confirmed this amount with the bank - and it was a $30 charge on my account. The bank will investigate after they receive all the info from the gas station tomorrow, and credit my account while they investigate.

I've been checking my charges online every morning lately because two weeks ago a friend warned me of some problems with overcharging at gas stations. Another gas station in Warren NJ charged her neighbor for more gas than his tank would hold - and the tank was not empty. He confronted the attendant - and received the credit right there because he threatened to report them. However, this alerts me to the fact that this may be happening in more than one place. I am not sure if it was the same company.

This was the 2nd time I had heard of this happening at gas stations recently, and I'm really glad I've been watching more closely now.

Liz

Re: Gas stations.....check your bank charges

Thats just so they don't have to raise the prices more, you get $5 in gas and they take $10... so whatever you think your paying it's $10 more....unless of course your a Republican that owns stock in an oil company, then your gas is free, but if your a Democrat or Independant who owns stock in an oil company it's whatever you buy + $50.
    See, the catch is your not supposed to look at your card spending.... or keep reciepts... how dare you cheat the gas companies! lol

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Are you using the automated card readers at the pump or having da guy inside run the card through?
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

GB1

That sucks. Jez@!
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    Are you using the automated card readers at the pump or having da guy inside run the card through?
    That's what I was wondering - the station I usually go to recently switched to pay at the pump for diesel, but I haven't noticed any problems.

JS, where do I get the free gas?? If I can get that stuff for free, I'll get rid of that 50mpg diesel right now!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    That's what I was wondering - the station I usually go to recently switched to pay at the pump for diesel, but I haven't noticed any problems.

JS, where do I get the free gas?? If I can get that stuff for free, I'll get rid of that 50mpg diesel right now!

Good News:

The $30 charge was just adjusted to $20 and I got a letter from the bank stating the amount was adjusted apparently by the gas station. I still don't know how a $20 amount on my receipt was raised to $30 on my account - then back to $20 a week or more later. It may have been the initial "authorization" amount although the amount has never before differed from the actual charge. However, from now on I am paying with cash.

I forgot an important point. I live in NJ - one of two states that offers full (not self) serve at every gas station (you're not supposed to do your own pumping in NJ). And yet it's one of the best for cheap gas prices interestingly.

I usually pay the attendant at the pump with my credit card - no signing. However, most of the time, I check the price on the pump and I always check my receipt. I had checked the price that day on the pump along with the receipt. They both said $20. My statement said $30.

Liz

Thread Information