PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Favorite Podcasts?

After contemplating getting one for awhile, my wife bought me an iPod for my b-day. 30G with video - sweeeet. I've been using iTunes for awhile so there's already a bunch of music on it, but never really paid attention to podcasts until now. I did know about the Lens Work podcasts with Brooks Jensen (which I recommend) and found Photoshop TV with Scott Kelby so I'm pretty happy with that. I'm also a big NPR fan so I subscribed to Driveway Moments too.

Any other favorites out there - photo related or not?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Favorite Podcasts?

I'm pretty new to iTunes so I don't have any good recomendations for you. I have listened to one or two of the Lens Work podcast and enjoyed them. I will have to check out the Photoshop TV one. I have listened to one other photoshop one but I don't remember the exact name... 2 minute photoshop tricks, or something like that. They ran thru things pretty quick, but it seemed pretty informative, as long as you could work your way thru the steps as they talked about them.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Prey tell - what's a pod cast? Are they exclusively for Ipod owners? Are they free?

Thanks
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Nope, they're not just for iPod owners and I believe most are free.

I absolutely love Photoshop TV and was stoked to see that they're releasing new episodes just for NAPP members. I occasionally check out the podcast at Tips From The Top Floor. I'd love to know more photography podcasts though.

Michael, would you be thinking about the Photoshop Killer Tips podcast? They're usually only a minute or two long.

Nikon Samurai #25

~~Tools of the Trade~~
    Nikon D50
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX
    50mm f/1.8D AF
    28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D IF AF
    Lensbaby 2.0
    Kodak Duaflex II

~~Stillsky Studio~~

Quote Originally Posted by Stillsky
    Michael, would you be thinking about the Photoshop Killer Tips podcast? They're usually only a minute or two long.

I just looked at my iTunes and all it says is "2 Minute Photoshop Tricks". The podcast that I have loaded right now is actually a little over 7 minutes long. I just did a search and found the PS Killer Tips. That looks like something different. I'll have to give it a listen till the guy with the Harry Potter books on his iTunes gets here, then I'll listen to those. That makes it worth while coming to work.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Rick, you can download and use iTunes from Apple for free. It's a really easy to use music program and doesn't cause problems like Real Player. You can buy songs from their music store for .99 or copy your own CD's into it.

Podcasts are a lot of different things. They can be audio blogs, instructional tips, news stories or anything else that usually fits into a few minutes of audio. And they're usually free. With iTunes, you can subscribe to podcasts so that it will automatically download the latest podcast from that series. Some come out once a week and you don't need to remember to download the latest - it's done automatically, and automatically uploaded to your iPod when it's plugged into your computer.

I almost wish my drive to work was longer...

LOL Thanks guys. Steve I had no idea Itunes was free to anyone who wanted it. My girlfriend has it and it is a good program. I refuse to get an Ipod but I saved about 100 songs onto an SD card and use my PDA as an MP3 player. I also have my eye on the new Pioneer Inno, a portable XM radio with built-in MP3 player, which also broadcasts an FM signal so you don't need a car/home adapter. It is currently going for $300+ new on Ebay.

I might go and check out Itunes. But I like the "visualizer" screens on Real Player Are there any podcasts longer than a few minutes? Like 30-60? Also, for you guys with Video Ipods are there video podcasts?

Thanks
    Walter Rick Long

The last two episodes of Photoshop TV have been 30-40 minutes and they do have video that plays on the screen of video iPods. You can download iTunes for free and subscribe to podcasts like this, and watch or listen to them on your PC.

Cool
    Walter Rick Long

I downloaded Itunes last night. I also downloaded my first podcast, "The DiCaprio Code" which was pretty lame. I'll spend some more time today looking for other stuff.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Gotta love this forum

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

It's been a while since this thread has been added too.

I recently started watching a very cool video podcast called "The Rest Of Everest". It's basically a behind the scenes documentary about an expedition to Mt. Everest. These guys created a documentary about Everest called "Everest, The Other Side". Do to the time limits of the documentary, most of the footage ended up on the cutting room floor. They came home with over 80 hours of footage, and the final movie was 84 minutes long. So they are taking all that footage, and creating a video podcast with it. It's broken down into 20-35 minute segments. I made it through the first 7 episodes at work yesterdsy.

There is an introduction podcast that can explain it better than I can, so check it out if your interested.

Here is their website: http://www.therestofeverest.com/
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

The George Eastman House have a very interesting vidwo podcast they put out. I'm not sure how often they puplish them, but they are very interesting. Usually about 5-7 minutes in length so they are easy to sit through.

The subjects range from Ansel Adams: Celebration of Genius to photo conservation, to the lunar orbiter camera.

Deffinetly worth a download.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the tip Mike. Just checked out a couple and they are excellent :thumbsup:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Digital Flotsam by P. W. Fenton.

I just started listening to this one today. A very well put together show about nothing in particular. PDub is a great story teller, and his shows are very well produced. He also has a photo gallery on his site that looks pretty nice.

Warning: The few podcasts I have listened to so far are G rated and safe for work, but I did see some nudity in his photo gallery.

http://digitalflotsam.org/
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information