PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thread: Do you Wii?

Do you Wii?

Okay, I generally dislike video games. I don't play them, I don't like them in the house. That said, the girls do have DS thingys, and we have a Gamecube.

But I've been looking at the Wii for dh, probably as a Xmas gift. Something about him playing imaginary tennis in the living room cracks me up. I think watching them (dh and the girls) play this thing would be beyond entertaining.

Does anyone have one? Whatcha think?
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: Do you Wii?

We Wii, and love it.
    We have the basic game that comes with it, that has several different paly options.
    As well as the Wii Play that has a target shooting game, and a tank game a fishing game, and about six or seven others, all of which are pretty basic games.
    Our third game is Brain Academy, which is my favorite!
    If your husband, isn't much of a gamer then I'd recommend a Wii.
    That's my two cents.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I grew up playing computer games & Atari (I still have the working Atari!) I used to get in trouble by my mom because "I was playing on the computer too long".

My parents bought a Wii last Christmas. All they want to do when I visit them is play the Wii
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

We have a Wii in our family we got it last xmas , Wii have a great time with all of us trying to beat each other

We have the Wii fit which is very good and an excellent piece of kit with some great stuff on

And then theres the game for the Dads mine is Tiger Woods Golf which is superb and i dont have to go out in the rain to get a round in

We highly recommend it
    To me, The goal is to move people, to make people think, but never, never at the expense of the person you're photographing. To laugh with, yes - but never to laugh at. - Lord Snowdon

Martyn
    Olympus E30 HLD 4, E520, E300 & HLD 3
    Olympus OM10 Zuiko OM 28mm 2.8 OM 50mm 1.8 & 70-200mm
    ZD 14-45mm 14-42mm 14-54mm 40-150mm 70-300mm 50-200mm 2.8 / 3.5
    ZD 35mm Macro EX - 25
    Sigma 50-500mm To be Obtained
    Olympus FL36R
    Metz Flash 28AF-30

www.cannoncannonphotography.webs.com

I tried it and don't get it, but I didn't grow up with them - maybe that has something to do with it. Not that I'm ancient - we just didn't have one. The original Atari was standard equipment in most households at the time. Our next door neighbor got one with the guitar thing and was really anxious for me to try it, since I've played bass in bands for over 20 years. The timing is completely off on it. I failed miserably, as did one of the really excellent guitar players in my (now former) band. Forums seem to work for me but generally technology and internal combustion engines are bad news for me.

I have a Wii and my family LOVES it !!!

There are games for everyone and you don't have to know how to work the 13 button controller like Playstation and X-box. My 8 year old and my wife compete in tennis al the time and they have a great time. I play with the neighbor kids in baseball and the home run derby. Always fun.....

My suggetion is to get one NOW !!!!

Good Luck and expect to have a sore arm (called Wii arm) for a few days due to over playing....

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Yes, I Wii. I was one of the nerds who got the Wii on launch day. It is great because it doesnt only cater to the 15-28 year crowds, I've taken it to events where even people 50+ got into the game. It will also turn your television into an internet browser, you can connect a USB keyboard to it. And of course, it will play all your gamecube games as well.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

My wife and I bought one with the exchange credits we got for all the doubled up wedding gifts. We both love it. We used to carry it around when we went to peoples houses as they all loved playing it so much. I have to admit we have broken vases and stuff when playing. At first all we had was wii sports with an extra controller. My wife loved playing tennis so much she would often be up past midnight on it. Since she used to be quite the tennis player she used to find it easier to step towards the ball rather than just swing the controller. I took a forhand to the head a couple of times!

Eventually we got a few more games. First Mario party. Not a bad game but I am not a fan, then mini desktop racing. I had a version of this game when I was a kid on the pc. I love it but it took me a while to get used to the controls. Then I bought Table Tennis pro. I am actually very good at table tennis (I captained my high school to the state championships) but I can't work my way past the instructional demo. Then was Wii play. It comes with the extra controller so we now have 3 and the games are great for getting used to the motion controller, but a little childish once you get used to it (i do like the cow racing and the tanks though) Next was Mario Kart! my wife not being a gamer, I didn't think she would like this one, but we both love it and playing with the steering wheel makes the game a lot more interesting. a couple of weeks ago we splurged and bought mario and sonic at the olympics (it was on sale) it is a great game and a lot of fun. Finally we bought a wii fit board. The games aren't that great although watching someone else fumble through a step class or the hoola hoop is a hoot!

banished

of course we wii, we love it very much

we were this close at Target the other day. The guy came around and said they had them in stock, just in case....

we stood there for about 15 minutes and looked at the games and stuff. Had I just picked it up, we'd have Wii'd last night. But then I'd have nothing for Xmas...

You would be surprised how much the Wii brings people together! Its great fun but mostly the game that gets the most action with us is the basic sports game it comes with. most of the other games are pretty basic and a little bit of a let down. (except american idol, a real fun game at parties and Rayman II, a totally off the wall game. If you have a sense of humor GET THIS GAME!) . But even so, its a must have!! Oh and like Jorgemonkey, my in-laws got one too and every time we go we play Wii with them, its hilarious!

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I have the original Nintendo.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Haha Steve I tried that guitar hero too! I play a real guitar and I totally sucked at the game. It wasn't even close to playing a real guitar! I taught my friend to play a 6 string and when I went back a year later she had given it up in favor of Guitar Hero... so sad...
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I've got enough silly time consuming habits.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Played on a friends Wii. Never before had I ever built up a sweat playing a video game.

OMG. This is quite possibily the best thing ever. Soo funny.

I picked it up yesterday morning, still an Xmas gift, but an early one. Tennis is my favorite.

I normally hate video games. but this is hysterical.

Love it.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I have the original Nintendo.
    I got you beat, I was playing on my Atari last night. My 7 month old liked watching me play Pacman
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

another thing...if you get enough Wii points (whatever those are) you can download games from other game systems, like.......the original Mario!!!! The only video game I was ever able to play! Well, okay, I did alright on Tetris.

I think PacMan is on the list too.....

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Awesome, Wii is a lot of fun. The tennis is my favorite I think. I don't own it though, so I can only speak for the few times I've played it at a friends house or something. I personally haven't owned a console system since the Sega Genesis. PC gaming FTW!!!

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I tried it and don't get it...the timing is completely off on it. I failed miserably, as did one of the really excellent guitar players in my (now former) band...
    I think I'm with you, Steve. I'm a PC game junkie (especially stealth action), and have never tried Wii, so I probably shouldn't be so quick to judge it, but I'm a little bothered by this trend of games that mimmick real skills and activities, but do so in a fake way.

And so we will most likely have a generation of gamers who have convinced themselves that they can play tennis, or a guitar, or whatever, simply because they've "faked" it with Wii, when it is nothing like the real thing.

Ok, if it's fun, then go for it, and at least it's exercise (a step in the right direction). But my fear is this type of thing will replace people actually wanting to learn to play real instruments and partake in real sports.

It's as if more and more "real" activities are being replaced with this sort of lame karaoke version of life...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information