PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Re: Child Abuse or Parental Rights?

Quote Originally Posted by brmill26
    The rest of your post was a fairly unreasonable extension of my post on legal history - not my personal beliefs. Clearly I, or any reasonable person, would never argue for a parental right to shoot children. I'm not going to argue with the unreasonable.
    LOL! Yeah, unreasonable because YOU can't deal with it. It's OK to murder your child by withholding medical help but it's unreasonable to say it's OK to murder your child by putting a bullet in his/her head? Huh? In both cases, the child is dead due to their parents actions. How in the world is it unreasonable to ask what the difference is? Either a parent has personal rights to treat their child any way they want or they don't. Getting upset about one limitation of "personal freedom" but not about the other is exactly defined by the term "unreasonable."
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

It's unreasonable because you're making it very personal and at no point have I made this personal. I have merely raised the legal history as to why the law exists like it does and made a few counter points... which you seem to have taken as personal attacks. And, I think the above evidences exactly why I refused to respond to your previous post.

If you can't stand back and look at things from an objective, non-personal standpoint, then you aren't going to be able to have a good debate about it. "...unreasonable b/c YOU can't deal with it..." is exactly the kind of argument I refuse to get into b/c you've lost sight of the bigger issues and are more interested in attacking me. That is what I call unreasonable b/c I, personally, have nothing to do with this issue.

Edit: I don't mean that to sound like some kind of dissent, I mean it happens a lot from a lot of people. I understand being invested in what you believe and resisting challenges to that. No big deal. As I also said in my first post, this is a VERY difficult issue and I'm very glad it's not up to me to decide which is right.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Update

"Two parents who prayed as their 11-year-old daughter died of untreated diabetes were charged Monday with second-degree reckless homicide."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/28/....ap/index.html
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

So charges have been brought. Well, that's a step in the right direction, IMHO.

Remember the Oregon case? The Worthington's, in association with their defense attorneys (plural), have set up a website asking the 'faithful' for donations to their defense, framing it as an attack by the state on religious freedom. And they're getting those donations. It's shaping up to be a very long and costly battle- for both sides.

I'm betting that the parents die of old age before the appeals are finished- assuming that the state decides to spend the money to prosecute. Welcome to the reality of it all.

- Joe U.
    Last edited by Medley; 04-29-2008 at 04:35 AM.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    I'm betting that the parents die of old age before the appeals are finished- assuming that the state decides to spend the money to prosecute. Welcome to the reality of it all.
    My money's on this too... ACLU anyone?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information