PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Liz

Buying a Guitar - any store ratings?

I'm a (very) amateur guitar player - taught myself years ago. I gave my guitar away a few years ago when I didn't have the time for it. Now I'm looking for a new "Hohner" guitar as I love the sound of the Hohner, but not all guitar stores carry Hohner although they have excellent reviews.

I found a guitar store online that sells almost every model of Hohner and their prices are very reasonable compared to other stores.. It's a huge online and also in-store guitar center in Florida. I would like to find some ratings and/or reviews on this store before buying online, but there is no info on them. Their online name is Guitar Plaza - the link is below. Initially they were called Guitar Shop until they changed names/websites a couple of years ago. For some reason their old website is also still online - separate from the new one. When I called them, they told me their new website has the "real prices" which are still pretty cheap.

Is anyone familiar with this store? Here is the website. Or any other suggestions as to where I can find a store that has a good selection of Hohner Guitars for reasonable prices?

http://store.guitarplaza.com/index.html

Thanks

Liz

Re: Buying a Guitar - any store ratings?

Have you looked on Ebay? I tried my usual resources (Musician's Friend and Music123), but neither had much of a selection of Hohners.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by frleal70
    Have you looked on Ebay? I tried my usual resources (Musician's Friend and Music123), but neither had much of a selection of Hohners.
    Ebay isn't for me. A few years ago on my first attempt to deal with Ebay I lost $18. I don't recall how, to be honest. But I tried for months to get that $18 back to no avail. The only thing I purchased from Ebay since - and it was a direct sale - was a Canon leather fitted case for my G9. However, I used paypal. I wouldn't take a chance with a guitar since I have to be sure of the sound. I know exactly what I'm looking for and not being a frequent Ebay person I don't want to take the chance.

Yes, I tried multiple websites and local stores in person and by phone. Some had a few. However, this store has tons of them. And the "scarey" thing is they aren't that expensive.

They don't take paypal either. Why would an online store that size not take paypal?

I think I'm probably too cautious. I really want that Hohner.

Thanks for your comments.

Liz

Liz

Here is the link to a list of Hohner accoustic guitars available on that website - and the prices - if anyone is interested.

http://store.guitarplaza.com/newhohacguit.html

Liz

Hi Liz - I haven't heard of that store, and couldn't get a dealer list to come up on their website. Musicians Friend, who I've dealt with many times, has two models listed but nothing like you're looking for, I'm sure. You could try to contact them and see if they could do a special order, but it might not be the least expensive way to get it. They've always offered free shipping over $100 or $200 (changes from time to time).

Personally I'd rather buy an instrument in person just because there can be differences in the same model. Line up 10 of the same guitar, and one will be best. Here's their USA contact info, maybe they could tell you who in your area would have their guitars - I'm sure there's gotta be some one! And I completely understand being comfortable with a brand or type of instrument. One camera or another doesn't affect me much, but (bass) guitars are a whole different deal!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Hi Liz - I haven't heard of that store, and couldn't get a dealer list to come up on their website. Musicians Friend, who I've dealt with many times, has two models listed but nothing like you're looking for, I'm sure. You could try to contact them and see if they could do a special order, but it might not be the least expensive way to get it. They've always offered free shipping over $100 or $200 (changes from time to time).

Personally I'd rather buy an instrument in person just because there can be differences in the same model. Line up 10 of the same guitar, and one will be best. Here's their USA contact info, maybe they could tell you who in your area would have their guitars - I'm sure there's gotta be some one! And I completely understand being comfortable with a brand or type of instrument. One camera or another doesn't affect me much, but (bass) guitars are a whole different deal!
    Thanks Steve,

I had already checked out their USA contact list, but most of the places I called in NJ said they didn't sell them, or they just sold the 3/4 size guitar for beginners $69.

I went to the Guitar Center as they have many stores around. The person told me that Hohner guitars are still made by hand, not factory-made and he said that is the reason they don't sell them. I couldn't figure that statement out because they sell other brands, but didn't question him. I purchased my original Hohner because I couldn't believe the rich deep sound coming from a relatively "cheap" guitar. It sounded better than all the others I tried for that price - and even the much more expensive guitars.

I agree that the best way to buy is in person, but I can't find any around here. I did find one further away which I think is more expensive, but will probably go there if I don't find anything closer. I'm going to keep trying. There has to be someplace around that sells these guitars. It's a mystery because Hohner guitars have such good reviews.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I went to the Guitar Center as they have many stores around. The person told me that Hohner guitars are still made by hand, not factory-made and he said that is the reason they don't sell them.
    Guitar Center bought Musician's Friend several years ago, so you're likely to get similar answers. That's sort of what I meant about special orders; as long as they have it and it's an "automatic" thing for them you'll be fine and probably get a really good deal. That statement makes absolutely no sense - they sell high-end Taylors and Martins which are hand made. Exactly what constitutes hand made has spurred lots of boring debates on guitar forums (think film vs digital) but generally it can still mean that things like necks might be carved out by a CNC automated machine tool. Not that it's worth any amount of worrying about - the sum of the parts is what matters, and why buying in person is what matters. I've had all kinds of funny answers like that from GC over the years like "oh, that's a '57 Fender Jazz Bass" in a really condecending tone (but that model didn't come out until '59). Stuff like that.

The quietest time to go to a music store is probably a weekday when they first open. Saturday afternoon at Guitar Center requires earplugs. After looking around, you might even find another brand that you like. You'll know when you find 'the one'.

A little off topic, but what kind of music do you play Liz?

Thread Information