PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Question Bing Versus Google

Hello,

I just registered this forum while surfing and I’m curious about what you think about Bing.
    According to some news it already started to overtake Yahoo. But it seems to me they can’t beat Google. I think more creative ideas and some vision is needed to overtake Google.

Besides of that there’s adsense and adword industry. Google is creative and established firm, Bing brings nothing new to us.

If Google creates linux based operating system, maybe they can overtake Microsoft?

Re: Bing Versus Google

I would say in the OS field, linux has still a long way to go before the basic computer user would be comfortable with it.

So far I haven't used bing, and other than really bad commercials, have very little knowledge of it. I just checked out the home page for it... and that right there already seems overdone.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I tried it the other day once and don't even remember what I searched for. Seemed like it worked well and there was something I liked but of course I can't remember what that was either.
    I'll give it a few tries but meantime I'll keep googling.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OKahra
    Hello,

I just registered this forum while surfing and I’m curious about what you think about Bing.
    According to some news it already started to overtake Yahoo. But it seems to me they can’t beat Google. I think more creative ideas and some vision is needed to overtake Google.

Besides of that there’s adsense and adword industry. Google is creative and established firm, Bing brings nothing new to us.

If Google creates linux based operating system, maybe they can overtake Microsoft?
    Bing has been giving me closer matches to what I am looking for than Google. Your mileage may vary. Google is a "dump everything" system while Bing (and Alpha) are decision engines. Get used to it: Google is scrambling to figure out how to change. It is probably teh first real threat they have faced. But I doubt either one will surpass Google.

Linux on the desktop, Google or not, is a fantasy. It ain't the OS, its the apps and drivers. In fact, Linux market share dropped last quarter. It's firmly entrenched at less than 1%. MacOS has gained, almost at 10%, Microsoft has dropped to below 90% for the first time in history.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Interesting, I just found that Microsoft has bing search on .
    I wondered if it was live search rebranded for a second.

It appears that's not quite what they've done, but it's close.
    http://searchengineland.com/meet-bin...h-engine-20093

I don't think the Microsoft Live brand has a particularly high profile, or that its products are actually much good. No threat to Google certainly.

Personally I've found that I have to disable, uninstall, or damage beyond usability most of Microsoft Live before I can get my computer at work to, well, work.
    But we use Oracle, so perhaps that explains it.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Yes Bing is Microsoft's new search engine. It's intended to replace the Live search product. I've used it a couple times, no real opinion yet. I know the first few days it was live, our company's firewall blocked people from using any links in its search results lol. The response to trouble call tickets was "use Google instead".

cuil and wolfram alpha are better than both
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    cuil and wolfram alpha are better than both
    I have personally found that Alpha excels at scientific stuff (albeit slowly) but that Bing gives better results for general knowledge stuff. Just my experience!

These decision engines are really just starting up, things should start changing quickly when users begin to understand the benefits. Of course, by that time, Google will be in the mix as well.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I do like Bing's birdseye street view on their maps
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Shoppinglism

Yeah, Bing is new version of search engine to replace the Live search buy i cann't look different of it.

Thread Information