PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thread: The Apple Diet

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

The Apple Diet

Yes, I am crazy.

The other day I was, uh, let's just say "less than steller" at providing myself with proper nourishment. I had cereal for breakfast but it went quickly downhill after that. Dinner was a plate of chorizo which if you don't know what that is just imagine a bunch of fat on a plate.

So, feeling particularly thick and greasy, I decided to try an old cleanse that I had known of for years but had never tried. My body deserves it, I thought.

So today I am on the second day of my 3 day apple diet. Nothing but raw apples for 3 days! Followed by 2 tbs of olive oil I think at the end.

The first day was hard. By about noon I was craving everything I had eaten the day before. And I'm the kind of person who just eats what I want when I want it. So I had images of chorizo, peanut butter, chicken asado all running through my head. I told my girlfriend (who thinks I'm nuts, btw) that now I know how it feels to be having cravings.

By the end of the first day the "withdrawal" symptoms had passed. I had 2 apples for dinner and wasn't very hungry when I went to bed. This morning I am still not particularly hungry but have chosen to continue the fast despite the thought of dropping it today. My GI track will be so clean and shiney!

So just thought I would share. I don't expect anyone else to have done this. Only I would be so crazy. I'll give updates as time goes on.

Here's a link:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_12675_apple-cleansing-fast.html
    (Michael have fun with this one!)

Back to the Galas!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: The Apple Diet

I replaced by desk store of Chocolate with Apples end of last year.
    I am now called the office greengrocer, and get a lot of stick for it.
    But still keep a supply of choccy in for the girls ;)

So far I've lost about 10kg since Christmas (turkey, chicken, mince pies you know how it goes) and seem to be stable at around 82kg
    Next is exercise (eek!) and salads at lunchtime instead of pub lunches.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Yes, I am crazy.

The other day I was, uh, let's just say "less than steller" at providing myself with proper nourishment. I had cereal for breakfast but it went quickly downhill after that. Dinner was a plate of chorizo which if you don't know what that is just imagine a bunch of fat on a plate.

So, feeling particularly thick and greasy, I decided to try an old cleanse that I had known of for years but had never tried. My body deserves it, I thought.

So today I am on the second day of my 3 day apple diet. Nothing but raw apples for 3 days! Followed by 2 tbs of olive oil I think at the end.

The first day was hard. By about noon I was craving everything I had eaten the day before. And I'm the kind of person who just eats what I want when I want it. So I had images of chorizo, peanut butter, chicken asado all running through my head. I told my girlfriend (who thinks I'm nuts, btw) that now I know how it feels to be having cravings.

By the end of the first day the "withdrawal" symptoms had passed. I had 2 apples for dinner and wasn't very hungry when I went to bed. This morning I am still not particularly hungry but have chosen to continue the fast despite the thought of dropping it today. My GI track will be so clean and shiney!

So just thought I would share. I don't expect anyone else to have done this. Only I would be so crazy. I'll give updates as time goes on.

Here's a link:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_12675_apple-cleansing-fast.html
    (Michael have fun with this one!)

Back to the Galas!

Rick
    It is often said that Americans lose more weight than the people of any other country. Unfortunately, they gain it all back again plus more. I just can't see myself living on apples for the rest of my life. Go off the apples, and its back to the old ways again.

LOL... You do realize why the olive oil is in this diet...?
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli
    LOL... You do realize why the olive oil is in this diet...?
    I'm guessing he'll find out real soon.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I'm guessing he'll find out real soon.

Oh will he ever. And hope nothing is in the way on the way to the bathroom.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Uh, olive oil is a laxative? Only 2 tablespoons??
    Walter Rick Long

Michael, the idea isn't to live off of apples the rest of your life. Just 3 days to cleanse your system!

I find it very ironic that Americans are the fattest people in the world, yet we see anorexia and bulimia popping up at the same time. Sad, ironic, and worthy of some attention IMO.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Uh, olive oil is a laxative? Only 2 tablespoons??

Afraid so, Rick. Olive oil, veggie oil, mineral oil, etc. are all very good laxatives. Mineral oil will give a very thorough cleansing. Just make sure you won't be anywhere but home close to the bathroom for the next few hours after you take it. Not sure if 2 tbs will do much damage, but you should tell a difference anyway.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Fit For Life...

Rick, this sounds like a variation of the cleansing phase of the popular diet book, Fit For Life.

Almost all fruits have enzymes and nutrients that act as GI tract cleansers. Eating just apples does make things simpler, but I'd imagine you could combine or substitute other fruits and juices and get the same benefits.

Besides the olive oil (one of the best things for you, btw), you could probably add herbal tea and honey, a staple of many types of fasts.

I'm excited becasue I just bought a commercial juicer, and I'm getting ready to try it out in the next day or so. I've already stockpiled a lot of different fruits and berries, and can't wait to taste the combinations...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Fit For Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Rick, this sounds like a variation of the cleansing phase of the popular diet book, Fit For Life.

Almost all fruits have enzymes and nutrients that act as GI tract cleansers. Eating just apples does make things simpler, but I'd imagine you could combine or substitute other fruits and juices and get the same benefits.

Besides the olive oil (one of the best things for you, btw), you could probably add herbal tea and honey, a staple of many types of fasts.

I'm excited becasue I just bought a commercial juicer, and I'm getting ready to try it out in the next day or so. I've already stockpiled a lot of different fruits and berries, and can't wait to taste the combinations...
    Steve, not sure about a juicer, but we do have a blender that I have used to make smoothies with. I found a great combo for that with mangos, pineapple and bananas. Not sure how that would turn out in a juicer though.

Re: Fit For Life...

I've always wanted to juice wheatgrass. It's supposed to be exceptional for you!

Let me know how you do.
    Walter Rick Long

Day 2 is coming to a close.

I am finding it easier to maintain the diet now. With the one I am eating now I have eaten 15 raw apples in 2 days. I will probably have another one tonight. I am no longer experiencing the cravings I was yesterday. Though I again experienced the most hunger around lunch time, as I did yesterday. My weakest moments were: opening the fridge and seeing leftover chinese; reaching into the apple drawer and smelling onions (yes, everything is tantelizing at this point!); watching my gf eat sushi. But my will power prevailed.

One thing I have noticed is you don't get very hungry when you know all there is to eat is apples!

I can also report generally positive affect. I feel a little "edgy" and grouchy. But otherwise in good spirits. My ability to concentrate on my studying seems greatly improved.

My main concern now is "boredom." I want to eat something else besides apples! I am still craving fatty food and carbs but it is not an overwhelming feeling. Just something I look forward to fulfilling on Friday

2 days down! 1 to go!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Good for you for sticking with it. Let us know how it goes (well, maybe leave out some of the details). I'll bet that after a few days of just apples, olive oil will throw your system off and, well, yeah, that.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hey Rick...a nice cleansing is always good...I get one every 3 years when they do my colonoscopy!!! yech!!! hehehe...golitely works great!!! hehe...anyway...make sure you're good and clean by May 12-15th...my daughter is getting married and Kim and I will be flying to Phoenix for a quick trip to walk her down the aisle and gets lotsa pics...hehe...but I would like to get a chance to meet up with you. I'll keep you up to date...that is if you can get out of the head long enough!!!! hahahahahaha
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Colonoscopy!!!!!
    Had mine this morning.....followed by a bee-line to Burger King. How's that for getting right back in the saddle

Ken - sounds great! My cousin is getting married that same weekend back in Virginia so I may not be around then. But if I am, we will have to meet up!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

The Apple Diet has stopped!

I felt a little queasy this morning. I ate as many apples as I could for breakfast and decided I just can't eat any more apples!

I have a stomach ache right now. So I just downed the 2 tbs olive oil and plan on having a salad for dinner. I am official done with apples.

Well, it was an interesting ride. I can't say I regret it. How many people get to say they lived off apples for 3 days? I have class tomorow night so I started wrapping it up tonight. Hopefully then I won't be running to the bathroom in the middle of my Abnormal Pscyh lecture!

Back to real food tomorrow. The funny thing is, I'm not even that hungry!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Oh. My. GOD.

I just had possibly the worst night of my life.

My "stomache ache" turned into severe abnominal pain and vomitting last night, well into the morning. I would feel pretty comfortable saying it was all those apples, but my girlfriend came down with something similar last night as well. And she was sane enough to stay away from the apples.

My legs began cramping from all the writhing and moaning I was doing in bed. I found the only thing that turned off the pain was sitting in a bathub of hot water. That cured everything for a while and let me get some sleep.

Anyway, long story short, I won't be doing THAT again! I can't say that the apple diet cuased all that pain, but it seems like a fairly odd coincidence.

Back to the real food...
    Walter Rick Long

It's not enough just to choose an interesting scheme for losing extra pounds: you should learn everything about how to diet in order to lose weight and keep the result. Moreover, to do it in such a way as not to pay too high a price for a new figure. I also recommend creating a list of prohibited products for yourself or taking ready-made ones from cavemandietblog.com

Thread Information