PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Anyone else watch Tin Man on SciFi?

Well, I watched the entire 3-night, 6-hour SciFi Channel mini-series, Tin Man. A much darker and more serious (no singing!) action/adventure story based on The Wizard of Oz.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910812/

I really liked it, and thought they did a great job. Good ensemble cast, great visual effects, even several playful homages to the original. I also think it was a very brave project, knowing it would be compared to such an iconic classic. The twists they presented on the story elements of the original were very clever at times.

BTW, my brother and I kept quoting lines from the original during the whole thing (I mean, how can you not?), but even with that we both enjoyed it.

If you missed it, I'm sure they're going to show it again before too long...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: Anyone else watch Tin Man on SciFi?

I wasn't all that impressed with it.
    It didn't do much for me.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I saw some previews for it, but didn't watch it. I will keep an eye open to see when it comes on again.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I wasn't all that impressed with it. It didn't do much for me...
    I almost gave up on it the first night, because if you took away the Oz elements, it really seemed no different than almost any episode of a lot of other Sci-Fi shows (like Stargate or whatever).

But I slowly got into the characters and hooked on the story. IMO, the second night was better than the first, and the final night was better than the second...

What I liked is that each of the main charaters was seeking more or less the same thing as the ones in the original, but they revealed this to the audience in a much more subtle way.

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    I almost gave up on it the first night, because if you took away the Oz elements, it really seemed no different than almost any episode of a lot of other Sci-Fi shows (like Stargate or whatever).
    That's why I didn't get into.
    Maybe I'll watch it better, if it's re broadcast.
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Watched the first two parts, missed the last half hour of both...I fell asleep. Missed the last one because I was watching the adult TKD testing.

Going to try to catch it when it's on again. What would be even better would be if they released it on dvd. That way I can watch it during the day.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

I watched all of it, I liked it, It will be on again Sunday, all of it, so check your local listings.
    Has anyone ever done the Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon and wizard of OZ. Que up CD and hit play when the Lion roars the 3rd time on Movie. Strange but eye opening!
    Jimmy B

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B
    Has anyone ever done the Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon and wizard of OZ. Que up CD and hit play when the Lion roars the 3rd time on Movie. Strange but eye opening!
    Jimmy B
    I have heard about it, but have never done it.
    Elaborate on it's eye opening strangeness, please.
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Going to try to catch it when it's on again. What would be even better would be if they released it on dvd. That way I can watch it during the day.
    I love my PVR jsut for that very reason. No longer do I depend on the schedulings of some guy at NBC or ABC or ?CBS.. I watch what I want....when I want.

Not a bad series. Kind of reminded me of Farscape a bit at first but then I got into the characters and forgot about any previous asumptions.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Jimmy B
    I have always wanted to try this, but have never done it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

The timing of Dorthy walking on the pig pen fence and falling in, the lyric from "Time" and one step closer to death. It's wierd how it works out, and who did it the first time? My GF and I did it and would just look at each other at how strange it was. Do it and see and listen for yourselves. Jimmy

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I watched the whole thing and pretty much agree with everyone. It was a little slow, a bit twisted and some what cheeky. It had pretty good production values and kept me interested. I did think that the ending was predictable, as it should have been, and a bit of a let down.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

I haven't watched all of #3 yet, I got sleepy and hit record and went to bed.

I liked it, it was alright for a few nights entertainment.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

The timing of Dorthy walking on the pig pen fence and falling in, the lyric from "Time" and one step closer to death. It's wierd how it works out, and who did it the first time?...
    Never underestimate the pop culture reference abilities of Roger Waters. My guess is he was stoned and watching WoO when he wrote the album...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

apparently an "urban myth."

waters et al say that it has nothing to do with it and don't know where it got started.

wikipedia:

Pink Floyd band members have repeatedly insisted that the reputed phenomenon is coincidence. In an interview for the 25th anniversary of the album, guitarist/vocalist David Gilmour denied that the album was intentionally written to be synchronized with Oz, saying "Some guy with too much time on his hands had this idea with combining Wizard of Oz with Dark Side of the Moon.*"[7]

On an MTV special about Pink Floyd in 2002, the band dismissed any relationship between the album and the movie, saying that there were no means of reproducing the film in the studio at the time they recorded the album.

On March 3, 2006 at the Canadian Music Week conference in Toronto, Alan Parsons, the album's recording engineer, told an audience during a question-and-answer session that there had been no effort to integrate the album with the film.

*(okay i HAVE done it, but never managed to link one to the other ~ spoiled my viewing of one of my favourite films).

:blush2: :blush2: :blush2:

incidentally watched the first 2 have the third taped to watch..

thought it was "okay" but nothing to write home about.

Aw, man...

Quote Originally Posted by threelions usa
    apparently an "urban myth."waters et al say that it has nothing to do with it and don't know where it got started...
    Next I suppose you're gonna tell me that a woman wasn't really stabbed to death in the studio during the recording of Ohio Player's "Love Rollercoaster"...

Or haven't you heard that one?

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information