PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Any Culinary Artists?

I am facing #3 of my final 3 frontiers. Cooking, drawing, and singing are the three things I cannot do. I will tackle singing when Ken comes to Phoenix to give me voice lessons ;)

I have been dabbling in the kitchen recently. Read: playing, not really cooking. I would love to hear from anyone out there who considers themselves fairly accomplished in the kitchen. Not a master, necessarily, just someone who loves to cook and play and experiment. I won't have the time to devote to it for awhile but in the meantime I think it's fun to whip up quick, easy little meals.

So what ya got?

I've been playing with chicken recently. We don't eat much in the way of red meat. Would love to swap stories, ideas, even...

recipes.

God, I sound like Donna Reed! ;)

p.s. I will not be posting for awhile until I make monumental post #2000, in the Viewfinder. Then, I'll come back ;)
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: Any Culinary Artists?

I can cook. I don't do it frequently enough because I hate to wash dishes (dishwasher is coming with the new kitchen!) My mom can really cook, and my little brother is a chef out in Californina, so I guess you could say it's a family thing.

I will send you some chicken recipes

Does your public radio station carry the Splendid Table show?
    http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/
    One can learn a lot of interesting stuff from her.

I also like Alton Brown's "Good Eats" show on the food network and Rachael Ray's "30 Minute Meals" in spite of her terminal perkiness. Brown teaches enough theory so you can experiment a bit and Ray shows you that cooking really doesn't need to be a big deal.
    ----------------------------

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I've been playing with chicken recently. We don't eat much in the way of red meat. Would love to swap stories, ideas, even...
    My mother always got mad when I played with my food. Unless, of course, the chicken is still alive? They love to play poker.

You know, there are amazing things you can prepare with just a can opener and a microwave...
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Pentax Forum Moderator

Rick, I guess I can't help but offer you some tips in more than one area!!! hehe...
    I learned one very important lesson many years ago. The lesson is "SPICES". Learn to use them. I used to "overuse" them. But, when used in good proportions, they can really enhance any food. Also, when possible, use "fresh" herbs and spices. Preferably, grow your own, it's easy.
    One last tip...Mexican food is the best food in the world, so learn, taco, burrito, enchiladas, tamales, and jalapeno's!!!!!!!! I expect a top notch mexican meal when I get out there!!!! and CalMex or TexMex don't count (yech)...hahahahahahaha
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    Rick, I guess I can't help but offer you some tips in more than one area!!! hehe...
    I learned one very important lesson many years ago. The lesson is "SPICES". Learn to use them. I used to "overuse" them. But, when used in good proportions, they can really enhance any food. Also, when possible, use "fresh" herbs and spices. Preferably, grow your own, it's easy.
    One last tip...Mexican food is the best food in the world, so learn, taco, burrito, enchiladas, tamales, and jalapeno's!!!!!!!! I expect a top notch mexican meal when I get out there!!!! and CalMex or TexMex don't count (yech)...hahahahahahaha
    Ken
    So I take it you're not a fan of ZTejas?!

You're right Ken, Mexican is the best food in the world. After about 10 months of living in Phoenix I finally have all the good Mexican places mapped out. Turns out, most of them are in the same family, ie Filibertos, Federicos, Rodolofos. Our second favorite is Thai, there is an incredible Thai place around the corner from us tucked into a shopping center.

Your message about using herbs brings me to the first tip I wanted to share with you guys:

"Special Eggs"
    Scrambled eggs with an extra kick for flavor but adds no time
    3 eggs
    white cheeses (currently using a blend of Romano and Parm)
    large "pinch" of Rosemary, broken into smaller pieces

That's it. The rosemary really gives it a neat taste imo. Curious about what you guys think. It doesn't seem to work with yellow cheese, btw.
    Walter Rick Long

LOL Michael, my mother bought me a book called A man, a can, a microwave for Christmas that sounds right up that alley
    Walter Rick Long

Chunk, I hadn't heard of that radio show but I'll look at the local listings to see if it's carried here.

I do know Rachel Ray. She's kind of a cutie pie. I had a girlfriend who really liked her cooking, she owned several of her books too.

I try watching the food network sometimes. It's hard for me to watch for a whole show though. Unless its Emerill throwing spices at food

Thanks for the recommendations!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Okay, this will make you think I'm even weirder than you already do, but I kinda like doing dishes. I dunno, something about the water running and making things neat and clean...

but then, we do have a dishwasher so I'm really just rinsing not actually washing

I'll take you up on your chicken offer. My last effort was a walnut-crusted chicken spinach salad that was a little too bland. My gf says you have to use pecans and carmelize them to make it taste good. Not that she's tried either. I think she suffers from the same dish-washing aversion that you do ;)
    Walter Rick Long

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Rick...never tried those...sounds like cal/mex to me...hehe...however, if you want great MF...next time your in Flagstaff...go to La Fonda's at 4th Ave and 4th St. For as long as I can remember (and that's a long time when it comes to MF), it has been one of the best in the country. Order a "Green Chile Burrito, enchilada style". It's been 10 years since I've been there, but for the previous 30 years of my life, the food has always been consistent. In Phoenix/Glendale...Garcias. Last time I was there...it was being upscaled (yech)...but you could still get a great meal. My daughters took me to a place just off of 16th St. and Camelback (south of Camelback about 2 blocks), but can't remember it's name. It was excellent. Just some thoughts for you.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

OK, I'll bite. I like to cook and haven't made anyone gravely ill yet, so I guess I'm OK at it. Ken is right about spices - think of camera lens filters. Overusing one of them will get old really fast. Sometimes too much polarization isn't a good thing (or too much curry powder).

Definately check out Good Eats with Alton Brown. It's my favorite show on the food channel and it's science but entertaining. Great recipes at www.epicurious.com too. You don't have to spend all day just making dinner (although it's not a bad thing sometimes). Pick up a book, like the Southern Living Cookbook, from the magazine. It'll get you off to a good start.

Pecans - mmm... Heat a frying pan (dry, no oil) over low-medium heat. Put the pecans in and stir them around about every 30 seconds. When you can smell them, put them on a plate, lightly salt them and let them cool. Good eats...

LOL Michael, my mother bought me a book called A man, a can, a microwave for Christmas that sounds right up that alley

When we got married, I got from my parents "help my apartment has a kitchen"

I wouldn't say I am culinary artist but I can cook pretty well. My dad was a cook in the Marines so I learned how to make a lot of short order type stuff (hashbrowns, omelets, eggs any style, things you might get in a diner). He also taught me how to GRILL. The grill should be every mans best friend, because if you burn something you can just say its blackened. I actually grilled tonight. Grilled steak tacos marinated in worchestshire and lemon juice mmmmmm.......
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Hey Ken

ZTejas is a restaurant chain, they have a restaurant at Tatum and Shea we like to go to. GREAT Tex-Mex menu If you ever have the chance to try one, I recommend giving it a shot if you can get over your TexMex aversion Thanks for the other restaurant recommendations. Garcias really rings a bell. Either I have been there and can't remember or my gf has been there and told me about it. I can't wait to try all your other recommendations
    Walter Rick Long

mmm.. sounds good. I want to start grilling now but the gf won't approve buying an outdor grill until we get our outdoor "kitchen" set up So that means I have to build it before we can grill!
    Walter Rick Long

Can I butt in here?

No way am I a gourmet cook or culinary artist, but I grew up in a Croatian family and community. I can make a mean gravy (red sauce) and all sorts of other more basic types of things. I love to bake too.

I'm having my brother's 40th birthday party here this week and the main course is cioppino. When I prepare it with shell fish the shell and all goes in the pot with the exception of scallops. OMG, it makes for the best flavors. This batch will have dungeness crab legs, scallops, clams, mussels, prawns & halibut. Perferably halibut cheeks (don't scream), but depending on the price I may not go for it. We'll be putting the cioppino on polenta or pasta for those who don't like polenta. I'd like to have gnocchi, but I don't have the time to make them this week.

For me it's fun cooking, but when there can be a celebration it makes it that much more fun!
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Okay, this will make you think I'm even weirder than you already do, but I kinda like doing dishes. I dunno, something about the water running and making things neat and clean...
    Well, I have a whole sinkful that needs cleaning if you're interested in coming up to Wisconsin.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

And after you're done there, you can come here. I'm seriously considering just using paper plates until the kitchen is done (we hit 1 year in June)

Chicken to follow.....

Hey, where are all the recipes? The tips? The stories? The recommendations?

Don't leave a kitchen newbie out on a limb!

p.s. Caught Rachel Ray for a bit yesterday. She definitely has a fun approach to cooking.
    Walter Rick Long

One word for you...CAVENDERS. This is the best spice blend I have ever used. You can use it for anything on anything and it is always perfect. I like it best on pork chops, it makes them very tasty. Also a good tip for burgers is olive oil and lea and perrins. The olive oil helps keep the burger together and the lea and perrins adds flavor. Another great marinade is lea and perrins, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. I don't do much with chicken, but the marinade works well on anything.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Ah-ha! Thanks for the tips!

I'm not at all familiar with cavenders. But I'll have to go check them out.

We usually go with ground turkey these days. Do you think your olive oil/lea/perrins idea would work with turkey?

Thanks
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Yeah...it works with anything that is ground up. You can find Cavenders at any supermarket, and it will be in the spice aisle. Also, for somethng different on the burgers try putting cheese on the inside instead of on top.

Italian dressing also makes a great marinade for chicken.

I got more, but no time to post them....
    Thomas A. Edison

Thomas A. Edison

Olive Oil is probably one of your most versitile cooking ingredients. You can do so much with it, it has a great taste, and most importantly, it is good for you.

If you're looking for something besides tomato sauce when eating pasta, use a little olive oil and cheese.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Lea and Perrins is a fancy name for worchestchire sauce.

I have a special breed of burgers that I like to make up when I grill out. Starting with regular ground beef, I add an egg, worchestchire sauce, Mrs. Dash, garlic powder, and bread crumbs. I put all the ingredients into a bowl, and then I use my hands to mix and shape them into patties. So far, they have gotten rave reviews from everyone who has been brave enough to try them.

I plan on adding cheese in the middle of these burgers and maybe some peppers to give it a little extra flavor. I might also try using olive oil to help hold them together better.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information