PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thread: Animal Farm

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Animal Farm

A thought provoking series about Genetically Modified Organisms on Channel 4.
    http://www.channel4.com/science/micr...arm/index.html

Goats that produce spider silk.
    Glow-in-the-dark pigs - for transplane research.
    Fluorescent fish with coral genes planned for pollution detection (now for sale for entertainment).
    Cloned rare breeds maintaining the gene pool.
    Cloned prize animals enlarging their contribution to the gene pool (and owner/breeder profits?)
    Alcoholic mice - and the gene for alcoholism.
    Mice that can regenerate a cut spinal cord.
    Featherless chickens - to cope with a hotter environment.
    Lab-grown bladders.
    Cows with a human immune system.
    Fast growing super-salmon.
    Golden rice - with beta carotene for vitamin deficiency (that doesn't work).

http://www.glofish.com/about.asp
    GloFish® fluorescent fish are beautiful and unique fish that were originally bred to help detect environmental pollutants. It was only recently that scientists realized the public's interest in sharing the benefits of this research. GloFish® fluorescent fish are safe for the environment and make wonderful pets for new hobbyists and experienced enthusiasts alike.

And now the funny parts:
    "However, it is important to remember that GloFish® fluorescent fish are intended for use as aquarium fish only, and should never be intentionally released into the wild."
    "Just as eating a blue fish would not turn a predator blue, eating a fluorescent fish would not make a predator fluoresce. However, please remember that fluorescent zebra fish are not intended for human consumption."
    "GloFish® fluorescent zebra fish, like all ornamental fish, are NOT intended for human consumption; they should never be eaten."
    "Each new GloFish® fluorescent fish inherits its unique color directly from its parents, maintains the color throughout its life, and also passes the color along to its offspring."
    "The production of fluorescent fish by any other party, or the sale of any fluorescent fish not originally distributed by 5-D Tropical or Segrest Farms, is strictly prohibited."

So the fish aren't allowed to breed, anyone tell them?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: Animal Farm

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Fast growing super-salmon.
    Golden rice - with beta carotene for vitamin deficiency (that doesn't work).
    Heard of these two - the farmed salmon that grow very quickly so they can be raised less expensively, but also occasionally break loose into the open waters. I don't buy farmed salmon - don't care for the taste of it either. But I'm not perfect, Tilapia is getting very common around here and I think all of it is farmed. I have some in the freezer at the moment.

Didn't know that about the rice - the two sides of the arguement that I heard is that it would dramatically help the populations of developing countries, but also put them into debt with the seed producers. If it didn't work, then I guess it's a moot point.

Okay, that's just weird.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

I heard about the goat that produces spider silk. We'll be living in a comic book world as soon as these scientists start experimenting on people.

Paul

Thread Information