PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thread: Big screen t.v.

Big screen t.v.

Hi, just wondering what everyone had. I would like to puchase a big screen t.v. in the near future, but a bit confused regarding LCD, Plasma, and the new and thinner rear projection t.v. I heard Plasma t.v. has overall best color....better viewing. When I check them out in the stores LCD t.v. seem to be brighter.
    Any feedbacks would be appreciated.
    Thanks

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

You nailed it...

Quote Originally Posted by barb_48
    I heard Plasma t.v. has overall best color....better viewing. When I check them out in the stores LCD t.v. seem to be brighter...
    Well, I'm no expert, and have neither (yet), but I have done a bit of research on it.

With the quality of the products nowdays, both plasma and LCD have excellent picture and color. The price difference has also gone way down, so even that is not as much of a factor as it used to be.

As you point out, brightness is a major difference between the two. LCD is indeed brighter, and is usually recommended for a room with high ambient or artificial light. Plasma will look better in a more darkened room.

I'm also pretty sure that plasma has a wider viewing angle, where the picture still looks good as you move to the side of the screen. This may be an important factor depending on how many people will be watching the set and where they will be sitting.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Big screen t.v.

Ok, this is what have learned in the past about plasma vs. lcd. The biggest difference IMO is that LCDs look brighter, for one, because there isnt the glare problem which the plasmas do have.
    BUT, From what I understand, LCDs wont last nearly as long
    I am going to get a panasonic plasma "40 something" with 1080i.
    The panasonics have a great rating from Consumer Reports and are actually quite reasonable in price.
    Make sure that whatever you get has a HDMI in/output. Also, make sure that you get a HD box from your cable co.(mine is a free upgrade) and it has HDMI connections.
    My inlaws bought this high dollar HDTV and it wasnt even hooked up for HD!! They couldnt believe the difference when I hooked it up for them the right way!!

Good luck:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is the one that I am seriously considering.

..BBhttp:///www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TH-...4235909&sr=1-1

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big baldo
    BUT, From what I understand, LCDs wont last nearly as long
    FWIW, its the other way around. Plasmas have the limited lifetime.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

I have a 42 inch LCD Sony. It's rear projection LCD so it is a little deeper than a flat panel.

The HD looks amazing and it was a steal at $990 from Circuit City (sony was discontinuing this line).

If the room is dark, go with Plasma. If it is brighter go with LCD.

Then tune to Discovery HD Theater and be amazed!

thanks,
    Wes
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Sony 50" Rear LCD Projection with 1080P.

I got it at Best Buy after they price matched Ken Crane and I used a 12% off coupon. They weren't suppose to combine the two offers but the computer took it anyway!

Love my HDTV especially while watching Discovery HD!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

This is my sweet set up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big screen t.v.-tv.jpg  
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

we have a 42" LCD HD in our room that my roommate got for 500, and the LCD is nice, but as far as colors go, every plasma I have seen has much better color reproduction than most of the LCDs I have seen. They use relatively flat colors, comparitively. But with plasma you always run into the possibility of burn in, so for using it as an external monitor or gaming, LCD is the way to go.

I have a Hitachi 42" plasma and love it. Plasma has a wider viewing angle than LCD and lasts longer, it's also cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenhawk
    I have a Hitachi 42" plasma and love it. Plasma has a wider viewing angle than LCD and lasts longer, it's also cheaper.
    yes plasmas are cheaper, but if you get the 1080p plasma is way more expensive then 1080p lcds. also lcds last longer, have the same viewing angles, and you dont get as much glare off an lcd screen... and btw i have a sony 46 xbr3 1080p and it is a great set especially when watching blu-ray or playing ps3:thumbsup:

Thanks for the input. Plasma has a wider viewing angle, but proned to burn in, i.e., the station cnn will burn in because there logo is always their. No hurry, will wait and shop around some more.
    Thanks

Thread Information