Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

ooo mighty camera guys, need help for a lenses filter

i was looking for a lens filter at best buy and wolf camera. I'm looking for just a basic clear protector to protect the lens from fingers and scratches. I due mostly outdoor sunny pictures.

Thank you for your assistance

i would upload a photo but i'm learning mac software and not sure how to reduce the size yet.

josh

NIkon D90 with factory lens

Re: ooo mighty camera guys, need help for a lenses filter

Hoya Super HMC UV filter

I doubt bestbuy carries them but you can get them at bhphoto, adorama, and amazon for sure.
    Nikon D90
    -Nikkor 18-200VR
    -Sigma 10-20mm

KmH

Quote Originally Posted by gocarolina95
    i was looking for a lens filter at best buy and wolf camera. I'm looking for just a basic clear protector to protect the lens from fingers and scratches. I due mostly outdoor sunny pictures.

i would upload a photo but i'm learning mac software and not sure how to reduce the size yet.

josh

Why waste your time and money for something that is simply not necessary with proper care, cleaning, and storage of your gear.

Keep the lens cap on till your ready to shoot and use a hood unless your doing on camera strobe work and keep your fingers and other objects away from the glass at either end of the lens.
    Keith

Keith Harrod | Image Works
    Adobe Bogen Dell Giottos hdrSoft Imagenomic Lexar Nikon Sekonic Sigma Vagabond Wacom Westcott Western-Digital

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gocarolina95

josh

I use a semi-cheapie UV filter when I'm shooting in dusty, snowy, or rainy conditions, mostly when I'm shooting sports. So far I've destroyed 2 filters from a fall but the lens glass is ok due to the filter taking the blow.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

KmH

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    I use a semi-cheapie UV filter when I'm shooting in dusty, snowy, or rainy conditions, mostly when I'm shooting sports. So far I've destroyed 2 filters from a fall but the lens glass is ok due to the filter taking the blow.
    If you closely examine your logic you'll discover it is flawed.
    Keith

Adobe Bogen Dell Giottos hdrSoft Imagenomic Lexar Nikon Sekonic Sigma Vagabond Wacom Westcott Western-Digital

Quote Originally Posted by KmH
    But that happened to him though.

Most I've seen telling people how stupid it is to use UV/protection filter is not based on logic and facts. Those arguments that I've seen all cannot be proven to be true. Argument such as "why put a cheaper piece of glass over an expensive lens" does not really say anything because that statement itself is a conclusion, not the reason. Argument such as "the filter will degrade the image quality" also cannot be proven to be true as none have shown they can tell which photo is shot with filter on the lens and which is not. Then there are arguments like lens hood and even insurance are good enough protection. Lens hood cannot protect all kind of incidents (ask Moose Peterson) and insurance definitely is not protection. Then some now even argue "well my images do not suck and if filter will make them better I will use it." That argument says nothing about the use of filter. Then of course there is one that says the camera store always want you to buy the filter because make the most money out of it. Be that as it may but it also says nothing about what filter can and cannot do to the photog. People buy whatever they feel is needed even if it costs them a lot of money. In fact, many people spend a lot of money on whatever that makes them feel better. What does logic has to do with it? None. But we all do that sometimes.

Bottomline: wherever you stand, you will do what makes you feel good even though it is against logic or fact. I don't think those who don't use UV/protection filter always have to tell the other side how silly it is to use it when their arguments - those I've seen at least - also are not factual and objective.

Now if you do use filter, there are certain things you can do if you still have doubt:

1) buy the best you can.
    2) take off the filter when you shoot.

By the way, even those who don't advocate the use of UV/protection filter, they use polarizer or ND filter and others. IMO, that should blow their argument "it makes no sense to put a cheap piece of glass on your lens" out of the water.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KmH
    How is my logic flawed? My lens glass in the front is protected from snow/rain/sand/dust when I'm out shooting in those conditions. I slipped on ice while shooting in a 20 degree snowstorm & my lens hit the cement lens hood/element first. Hood was demolished, lens filter was shattered & filter ring needed to be pryed off. My lens glass was fine as well as the filter threads.

When I'm out shooting a wedding or portrait session I keep my lens caps off on the lenses while I'm using them. It would be a complete PITA to take them off everytime I wasnt shooting. In fact, while out on a shoot the my lenses have their front caps off while they are on my belt.

Do you have to have protective filters? no. Will they protect your lens from all damage caused by a fall/grit/other damage? no. I don't use them all the time, but I do feel that in some situations I would much rather have one on then not.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

KmH

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    How is my logic flawed? My lens glass in the front is protected from snow/rain/sand/dust when I'm out shooting in those conditions. I slipped on ice while shooting in a 20 degree snowstorm & my lens hit the cement lens hood/element first. Hood was demolished, lens filter was shattered & filter ring needed to be pryed off. My lens glass was fine as well as the filter threads.
    Because the filter(s) broke is not evidence your lens objective would have. That is how your logic is flawed.
    Keith

Thread Information