Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Thread: Nikon D-80

GB1

Nikon D-80

If anyone has this camera or knows about it, what is its ability to use older Nikon lenses? I've heard some talk about it not working with manual focus lenses but I think they could just be rumours.

Also, what is a "CPU lens?"

Thks
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Nikon D-80

I took the liberty of moving your post to the Nikon forum as that's where the Nikon experts hang out. Also, we do have some user reviews for the Nikon D80 and you can also use the review comments to ask questions of the camera owners. Here's a link to that review page:

Read and write Nikon D80 reviews >>

Hope that helps!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The D-80 will take the old lenses but you will need to manually focus (full manual operation), and use an "gasp" hand held light meter.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    The D-80 will take the old lenses but you will need to manually focus (full manual operation), and use an "gasp" hand held light meter.
    Thanks for the info.

Manual focus is fine. Hand-held light meter isn't.

I read online that there are three meter modes on the D80: 3-D matrix metering, center weight, and spot. It apparently uses the "CPU" in the lenses to get distance information from the lens so to adjust the metering in the 3-D matrix mode. That makes sense.

However, I dont see why it would want (or need) distance information in the other two modes? Very strange.

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    However, I dont see why it would want (or need) distance information in the other two modes? Very strange.
    I believe the distance information would be for flash metering. It could also help with some scene modes, where aperture settings might be critical.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Atmospheric haze

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Thanks for the info.

Manual focus is fine. Hand-held light meter isn't.

I read online that there are three meter modes on the D80: 3-D matrix metering, center weight, and spot. It apparently uses the "CPU" in the lenses to get distance information from the lens so to adjust the metering in the 3-D matrix mode. That makes sense.

Claude Tauleigne's book on the D200 says that in the case of a far distant subject the camera underexposes slightly to compensate for atmospheric haze. However he's talking about 3D Matrix metering. I don't know if it does the same thing with spot and center-weighted modes.

Charles

GB1

Just an update here folks. I stopped by a camera store and tried some old lenses on the D80. They definitely do not meter. The only lenses that meter are CPU lenses. I also tried them on a D200 body, they metered in A and M mode (didnt try on S or P).

Guess that's the way it is!

My Site

That's the first I've heard of anything affecting exposure based on distance (other than flash, of course) - interesting and I see how that would be useful.

GB1, Nikon's "D" lenses communicate the distance to the camera and flash to give proper flash exposure. Of course you need a camera body and flash that work with this too - D80 obviously is included. These lenses have been out for years, and any "G" lens is a "D" lens by definition. Confused yet?! I wouldn't personally get any flash other than an SB600 or 800 with this camera - too many good features with them to want anything else, including an older Nikon flash.

Most manual focus lenses will work as you've found, and I think A and M are the only options for metering on the D200 (not positive on that). There are a few - very few - manual focus lenses that have CPU's that will meter with the D80, but they're pretty much specialty lenses. So in general it's true, just not 100%. It gets a little crazy...

GB1

Another view - I have some D lenses but I don't think that they do this... they're pretty old. I have a Nikon 24-120mm AF that I think is a D series... I'll have to check it to see if it's a CPU lens (I haven't used it since I bought a Tamron 24-135mm zoom about 9 months ago, which is sharper than the Nikon). One thing I noticed about G lenses is that they lack a manual aperture adjustor. I guess it was something that Nikon cut to drop the price.

I also examined the D200 and liked it, but holding it and then the D80, it just seems too heavy. But it might not be much heavier than my Nikon F-100 (they're approx the same size). Just so nice to have a light camera like the 80... but I hear the 200 is much more weather-resistent. The 200 is also significantly more expensive.

My Site

Thread Information